Sign in to follow this  
Enlightened_One

Crafting window - 3rd box

Hey, all.  The crafting window has two boxes, usually one box is for a tool being used and the other box is for items being worked on (example: when making kindling - you have a hatchet in one box and a log in another).  But the 2-box layout is very limited and just plain strange when crafting larger items.  For example, when building a bulk storage bin, no tools are required at all.  Just the starting bsb item in one box and nails or planks in the second box.  That's pretty weird to be able to build a large bin without the use of any tools.

Maybe the crafting window could use a 3rd box which is used only when required.

1st box: The first box would always be a tool (a tool of some kind would thus always be required, whether it's a hammer, saw, chisel, knife, or just your own hand; no more bsb's being build without any tools).

2nd box: The 2nd box would be for the item being worked on.  For example, when building a bsb, the bsb unit would be in the 2nd box with materials being added to it step by step.  In other cases, such as when making kindling, a log would be in the 2nd box, since the log is being worked on to produce the kindling.  Thus, the 2nd box would be for the item being worked on (sometimes materials are being taken away from the item like kindling from a log, other times materials are being added to the item, like a bsb).

3rd box:  The 3rd box would be used only when something is being added to the item in box #2.  This 3rd box would hold nails, planks, etc, which are being added to the item in box #2.  However, this 3rd box would be empty and not used when nothing is being added to the item in box #2.

There is, of course, another way of using the existing 2-box layout another way.  The 1st box would always be a tool.  The 2nd box would always be the item worked on (be it a log when making kindling, or a bsb unit that is being built).  But instead of a 3rd box for materials being added to the item in box #2, the materials would simply be taken from our carried inventory automatically.

Either way is fine... to have a 3-box layout (tool / item worked / materials being added if something is being added), or to keep the 2-box layout (tool / item worked / have any materials being added taken out of inventory automatically)... as long as there is always a tool being used for everything, even if it is just our hand.  So no more large building projects without tools.

Edited by Enlightened_One

We need a simpler UI, not a needlessly more complicated one. +1 for the option to use a tool to make the crafting window use materials from the inventory automatically, though.

I wonder if that's gonna be implemented before the UI overhaul hits us, I don't know how it's coming along, maybe the new UI will make this obsolete anyway.

• Like 1

Yeah god knows what new UI brings and when it will  be  finished, so much of improvements might seem unecessary untill then... Also a lot of people wouldn't like automatically using from inventory since they have rare parts in inventory that can easily be consumed by mistake. I would like dedicated space where I can dump all materials I meant for making item wheter that is dynamic number of boxes, or drag and drop space that continue action would use, or by marking multiple parts in inventory to be used for consuming. Also could be handy to specify which part last to use for wooden items

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 5:17 AM, Flubb said:

+1 for the option to use a tool to make the crafting window use materials from the inventory automatically, though. 

I also like the idea of using a tool for everything, since it would mean enchants/imbues would be more useful.

Yeah, I have no idea how many times my rares were consumed when building fences or walls.