Sign in to follow this  
Wiluss

Referal system that will bring more players.

I think current referal system is sick. Its nice to have extra 6s for sellinga referal. but what is intentions of this? the referal system should bring more ppl into wurm. Now its like cash back for spending money on first premium.

I think we need system that will bring more players into game.

We need space at register to write nick of person that bring us into game.

We need links generator for register that will bind player from game to person who make new account. That player who gets new player should get some prize when new player will buy first premium in shop or in game using silver.

The prize can be 20 day of premium or 5 silver to pick when premium was bought form shop for euros.

Or 2s if that player bought a first premium in game for 2s.

I think we have a lot of old players and we can use them to advertise the game on internet. All we need is little payment to make it worth the efort.

Edited by Wiluss

>>We need links generator for register that will bind player from game to person who make new account. That player who gets new player should get some prize when new player will buy first premium in shop or in game using silver.  The prize can be 20 day of premium or 5 silver to pick when premium was bought form shop for euros.

One thing to keep in mind is veteran players often use "referral bonuses" as a handy way to get cash back for creating a premium alt (often in turn, the alt is premmed ONCE  simply to assure it is never deleted, making it a handy perma-storage for items that need to stay in inventory to prevent pve decay or pvp looting), or to use as an alt-mayor for holding additional minimal cost deeds.  Pretty much, it means it is completely "free" to make a perma-alt. Or even a whole bunch of them.  It's a pretty standard and generally accepted Wurm tradition. (Italics meaning, feel free to disagree that it is considered an "acceptable" gameplay mechanic.)

I don't know what the record is for "most alts," but my guess is 10-20 "once premmed" alts is NOT as uncommon as one would suppose.  (at least priest alts generated more additional sub income)

I think a good referral system needs to find a way to reward players for attracting new blood, but also a way that simply does not get converted into an economical way to grow an alt army. Alt armies who are premmed once do not help the game in any way. Alt armies g give very little to the game in terms of long term community wide benefits. Personally, I think I prefer a brand new player getting 6 silver (referral to sell) as a reward rather than a veteran player getting rewarded for creating an alt, even though both types currently benefit under the existing system. One that tips the rewards even more to the favor of the veteran player adding alts, however, is less beneficial.  I am not saying your system does that, just that it does not seem to me to be less free of exploiting than the current system (which at least rewards EVERY genuinely new player with a cash source even if alts benefit too).  Stacking the bonuses by having TWO rewards for creating an alt, would be even worse than just leaving alone the current system. 

Most players who love Wurm are already super eager to try to get friends and family to give the game a try. I think THAT is currently the greatest incentive for "recruiting" players.  

A bonus that has no monetary value (including free gnomes spyglasses or other things that can be sold or traded for profit) might be a better angle. But even then, it is most likely to get used by veterans who already find it is "free" to create a once premmed alt to obtain even non-marketable rewards, but would be additionally motivated by non-marketable reqards like no-drop tabards, custom titles, etc. 

Confession: I know I had over 10  'premmed-once' alts myself, partly for priests and partly because I have had at various time a max of up to eight different deeds. Most of these were created back BEFORE Wurm did it's unfortunate price increase to monthly subs, years back.  A few however I think were still created later since the cost of a perma-alt was basically close to nothing.  

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Any time I've seen other games offer significant rewards for referring others (even something as simple as a leaderboard for most referrals) ends up with a bunch of forum-spam everywhere on the internet.

*CLICK MY LINK TO PLAY NOW AND GET 500 FREE GEMS!!*

• Like 1

I'd probably RATHER see Wurm enourage, reward and ==SPREAD== the work of youtubers such as Emoo aka Bloody Drongo,    Milosanx,     Gamester4life,     Factional Fight brothers Adam and Brian,   MootRed  and many many others.

(Obviously, PvP oriented videos need to be considered whether they are primarily propaganda for the game itself, or just for a particular pool of players) 

THESE  ARE  THE  TRUE  HEROES  OF  THE  WURM  COMMUNITY.   

Send each of them an ingame "thank you" today!   

Maybe use the best of these player made videos is thorugh advertisements for the game (yeah I know the cost effectiveness of ads is an issue, so mostly targeting 'cheap' venues that attract INDY style gamers.  Try also to lure in more youtubers whose "specialty" is indie style survival building games.  Sometimes you can promote a game by "Paid Sponsoring"" a one time 30 minute gameplay by popular youtubers whose audience is receptive to this sort of game. After that, you can hope that their own sub base will clamor for even more regular coverage. I don't know what paid sponsoring a

mildly popular' youtuber costs, but its worth at least investigating as an alternative to 'non interactive print ads' on MMORPG-dot-com that people don't really look at, or that MOSTLY attract the fickle eye-candy type who only want games that are "current fads" and will generally sneer at games that lack the super polished and 'hip' popularity of top tier games. 

Or if you are a player, use these videos to spur interest on other general gaming sites (but DO NOT SPAM or post any place where it would be considered SPAMMING, some forums are extremely sensitive to this issue).  Forums where you are already a regular longtime contributing member, are absolutely the best! 

Also  post once a month or so at the reddit subforum for wurmonline because more people posting there would really help dispel the idea that Wurm is a 'dead' community!!!  

Or similar places.  

• Like 4

How will this draw in extra players and not just benefit the existing ones, it sounds like you just want a bandwagon system like every other dumb MMO has to entice people to get their friends to make accounts then never play again.

8 hours ago, Cornchips said:

How will this draw in extra players and not just benefit the existing ones, it sounds like you just want a bandwagon system like every other dumb MMO has to entice people to get their friends to make accounts then never play again.

Some will never play again, some will.

We have now system that benefits players but won't bring new peoples inti game. Is this a good thing ?

Why we need thouse referals anyway? to make ppl spend less money outside game and get a liitle more premium time saving some silvers?

The current system is not working.

Making new acount wont benefit anyone. Buing premium will. The prize coming with players that will stay in game longer. And wont benefit somone who will make multiple acouts( premium in game is cheeper than prize from geting new premium account)

The wurm community is shrinking from opening Xanadu. The market is picky and its hard to sell even cheep rares. We ned actions, we need fresh blood not just friends and family. We need noobs!

Those noobs that you want generally will find the game just like my hubby and I did from a website that mentions it.  Mentions it and gets someone even semi interested enough to check the website out.  Those people are not going to have anyone to say referred them because it was a website.  That is, in our case, 2 referrals that would not have benefited anyone.  However, after we got into the game, our referrals could be given (sold) to someone.  I don't see how that is a problem.  With the new 2s program, they do not even come into play since that person does not get one.  I think it is a pretty good system.  I don't see how your system is different really with the exception of when the referral is transferred.

This game has 0 ads on internet. Most of my friends do not know that such a game exists. They are surprised when I tell them about it (most of them are gamers).

The YouTube video is cool, but it is the type of advertising that people find when they are alredy interested in the game.

Most people who plays wurm will not move a little finger if there is no reward for what they do.

Why dont when we can use peoples and reward them to bring more wurmans.

You keep saying as if this sudden new system is just going to draw hundreds of people in

for

a

referral

That won't happen

You keep going back and forth between it will benefit the new person, or benefit the person 'referring' them

You clearly have some sort of thought on your suggestion to benefit yourself, but keep getting confused on how to word it

Edited by Cornchips
  • Like 1

I highly doubt a referral program will bait more people into biting into Wurm and actually chewing. 

Wurm is a highly niche game and community. 

I'd rather see a complete model/texture/animation/UI overhaul than some new referral system. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 6:02 AM, Brash_Endeavors said:

I'd probably RATHER see Wurm enourage, reward and ==SPREAD== the work of youtubers such as Emoo aka Bloody Drongo,    Milosanx,     Gamester4life,     Factional Fight brothers Adam and Brian,   MootRed  and many many others.

(Obviously, PvP oriented videos need to be considered whether they are primarily propaganda for the game itself, or just for a particular pool of players) 

THESE  ARE  THE  TRUE  HEROES  OF  THE  WURM  COMMUNITY.   

Send each of them an ingame "thank you" today!   

Maybe use the best of these player made videos is thorugh advertisements for the game (yeah I know the cost effectiveness of ads is an issue, so mostly targeting 'cheap' venues that attract INDY style gamers.  Try also to lure in more youtubers whose "specialty" is indie style survival building games.  Sometimes you can promote a game by "Paid Sponsoring"" a one time 30 minute gameplay by popular youtubers whose audience is receptive to this sort of game. After that, you can hope that their own sub base will clamor for even more regular coverage. I don't know what paid sponsoring a

mildly popular' youtuber costs, but its worth at least investigating as an alternative to 'non interactive print ads' on MMORPG-dot-com that people don't really look at, or that MOSTLY attract the fickle eye-candy type who only want games that are "current fads" and will generally sneer at games that lack the super polished and 'hip' popularity of top tier games. 

Or if you are a player, use these videos to spur interest on other general gaming sites (but DO NOT SPAM or post any place where it would be considered SPAMMING, some forums are extremely sensitive to this issue).  Forums where you are already a regular longtime contributing member, are absolutely the best! 

Also  post once a month or so at the reddit subforum for wurmonline because more people posting there would really help dispel the idea that Wurm is a 'dead' community!!!  

Or similar places.  

This is a great point and something that I've discussed with both Devs and PR of Wurm. Sometimes the greatest advertising for a game can be in the form of various Media being created for the game. For example, games like PUBG initially gained such huge a followings from the number of streamers who picked it up. Now I'm not saying something similar is possible with Wwurm - since it is such a niche game. But ultimately there is still yet untapped potential  for more player base for Wurm. Not to mention the fact that alot of the recent updates have helped counter our aging sandbox game.

For those of you who know me and watch my youtube or streams know that I like to play a variety of games, along with Wurm. This has meant in the past month or more I've introduced I estimate around dozen or so new players to the game and I'd guess had atleast 100 or so others watch me play Wurm, a game that they may not have previously known about. Whether this will result in any of these people ever going premium, that's yet to be seen but still getting the game out there to a broader audience is key to stabilizing our games population. Especially with variety streamers for example who might get people watching from one game and then bring them here later on  - which are often of a similar genre. 

Now what are the Wurm team doing about this? Well recently, some of you may have noticed the Valeri Entertainment Network being launched, an official group dedicated to Wurm Content creators, giving them a direct voice to the PR and Dev team. Allowing them to (hopefully) produce better quality content, access to sneak peaks and from time to time support in the form of official giveaways etc. Not only this but it allows us to directly interact with each other in a creative setting and share ideas and overcome potential problems. A program that directly supports the people in our community who make the stuff that advertises this game in terms of content is certainly something that is long overdue. In the future there may be expansions to this and how this team functions and what people are eligible but I genuinely think it's a step in the right direction in this line of thinking. 

For anyone who'd like to check out the current Valeri Entertainment Network people, I'll post their links below. 

It's also worth mentioning that I'm not against some kind of overhaul to our outdated referral system but I do think it's perhaps unfair to think that the current direction of Wurm is not thinking about these kinds of issues and how they can be tackled. 

• Like 3

This is great news, I totally missed seeing Retrograde's official announcement here >> 

I hope we learn more over summer/fall and the group  grows   ^_^  but yeah this is exactly the type of thing I was thinking. 

I noticed Budda and Retro, maybe some other devs,  hanging out in the chat channel for your recent Wurm Wednesday here:

PS: Silly Aussie, it is Valrei Entertainment Network

Exactly what Trake and Emoo said.

Wurm is a Niche game, and displaying the type of game it is via media is the best way to broadcast that niche to the public.