Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Just because it sucks so much

17 minutes ago, Niki said:

Can we get something like a Dumbwaiter added? Or a elevator, cause I don't want to build spiral staircases or use ladders to access items. The reason people built up in the first place is to save space, and keep those ulgy bulk storagebins off the main floor. It's not aesthetically pleasing.

There are plenty of storage options, and reaching one level above you is still possible. Most of these houses were designed prior to large storage units, bulk container units and crate racks. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Not really, I mean, acknowledging that it's a bug and will be fixed NEXT UPDATE is not a change aimed at annoying players

We give a robust permissions system that allows players to protect their valuables, even while sharing houses, locked doors and individual permissions means players placing items here expect them to be there when they go to get them. 

Being able to reach up multiple floors allowed in some circumstances to bypass the horizontal block (doors) and steal items from other floors is something we want to avoid at all cost, even if it slightly inconveniences those with exceptionally large vertical storage systems, you can still reach one floor above you, just not infinitely into the sky 

Our approach will ALWAYS be to ensure that item security is effective, especially given so much of it is up to players. 

The other issues raised regarding open/take range I'll pass long to the dev team 

Since the issue is now fixed (presumably), would it be possible to get more information on how this bypassed security? I can't think of any ways in which it was an issue, so I'm really curious.

Select then take presumably? From open ends of upper floors that seemed protected by a locked door.

Probably only possible to do by toons with permissions to pick up in the house.

The locked door gave a sense of security, but pick up permissions overrule, if selectable from below)

Edited by Cecci

On 7/16/2018 at 1:46 AM, Retrograde said:

Yeah, it makes things a hassle with high slopes, no way around that 

The reason for the change was the ability to access things on upper floors allowing bypassing of permissions and mechanics designed to protect said items

We agree it's not good outdoors, and that'll be fixed with the next update, we did touch on this when it was raised in the initial update:

Isn't this supposed to be fixed? It's still awful.

13 hours ago, Delacroix said:

Yes, this should be fixed on live now. Is there a specific scenario that you're experiencing where it's not fixed? I'll need details to dig deeper.

13 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

Yes, this should be fixed on live now. Is there a specific scenario that you're experiencing where it's not fixed? I'll need details to dig deeper.

The range for accessing bsb's while on a wagon seems fairly short.

15 hours ago, Delacroix said:

Will need more info

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

Is this a horizontal range or a vertical range

Wait, does this mean that players who have previously been using ladder openings to reach their wagon with building materials several floors below them, suddenly have to build bridges or haul crates to get the mats within range? (on WU but trying to prepare - I like to build tall stuff... I imagine this is coming for us as well?) 

Edited by Joneya
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 11:16 PM, Retrograde said:
On 8/5/2018 at 9:17 PM, JakeRivers said:

Is this a horizontal range or a vertical range

If its a adjacent tile and the bsb is sitting on the far side it will be out of range, on the horizontal range, I really have not done anything with vertical since I made this drunken post.

On 8/5/2018 at 10:03 PM, Sindusk said:

Wagon on very top of a tile, with my character on the very bottom of the same tile; 100 slope between us, and I could easily access the hold (meaning, was nowhere near the edge of max allowable distance), but was unable to withdraw from the crates inside. With that said, the incongruity in general between opening a container and actually accessing it is awful (re: ships, wagons, etc.), and it'd be wonderful if it was addressed (particularly in our favor, as much of this range is already far too small).

Annoying thing about the wagon/ships is you can open or maintain the open inventory of the vehicle from various angles and roughly up to 2 tile range, can drop items into it (good) but can not remove items from it (bad).

The knarr is a good example, you can be just past the front of the ship and drop items into it, but can not remove items. 

If you can open the container and view the contents I think you should be able to remove/interact with them, in any case the new setting of having to be under 1 tile range of anything kinda blows, let us have some mobility again without having to drag everything so close to a work station.

• Like 2

Yes , my work station area has to be re-planed. I can no longer access all that I used to be able to. I'm hoping this is still being tweaked. This is horizontal reaching.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, is it that hard to check if a solid floor is above the player?

1. Go up vertically passing open space, ladder openings, staircases. Go upwards an unlimited amount.

2. Once at the same level as the target item, go out horizontally checking the distance to object player is trying to interact with. Walls on the item's level and obstructing a path to the item would stop the interaction.

Another cool idea is to let us register certain storage containers with the house and we can interact with them anywhere in the house.

I too am having to redesign my work area. I'm guessing with the new place mechanics folks where placing valuable items on furniture to display them. Then someone came along and grabbed them from floors below.

om ny knarr the other day, I was bumping uglies with a sea serpent.  I started taking damage and my priest passenger attempted to heal me.  Nope.  I was not in range

11 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

om ny knarr the other day, I was bumping uglies with a sea serpent.  I started taking damage and my priest passenger attempted to heal me.  Nope.  I was not in range

Only one seat at a time can battle a sea serpent from a knarr, everyone else always out of range

29 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Only one seat at a time can battle a sea serpent from a knarr, everyone else always out of range

Well, I was able to keep most of my 4 on the serpent yesterday.  My 3 passengers were all able to heal each other.  My captain had to make sure she wasn't getting the agro, since nobody would be able to heal her.

Edit.  With my knarr at a virtual stand still, which made it easier

Edited by Wurmhole

so ever since the nerf to pick up distance I feel like this

8349b6764094f5010d20847aeda2cad3.jpg

Don't you all think of the consequences before nerfing!?

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 4

Ok

Trying to build a bride between two tall buildings (14 floors each one).

Cannot reach any of the ends of the bridge with wagon, couse of this lovely change, so wagon is left on the bottom floor and I grab mats from the 14th floor through the openings (WOGIC).

But bridge is 36 tiles long, so every time I take for example 20 bricks and 20 mortar and goooooooooooooooo to next builded bridge tile (of course walking slow as hell couse of weight), fun fun fun.

Tried to drag large cart with me on the bridge, so I could have bigger stash of mats (around 4000kg), but when I enter bridge with cart, it goes faaaaaar down below the bridge and couse of that, I cannot reach mats from it.

I'am only glad, that earlier I builded bridges wich required thousands of mats for pillars, before that change. Got stuck wagon many times on bridges couse of reentering, and had to be fixed by GM few times, but it was still 100 times better that what we have now.

Edited by Wilczan

Forgot to add:

As I said, when I open a wagon, and go to the 14th floor, I can still reach mats.

But after going far from wagon to fill the bridge, wagon windows closes. When You get back to the opening, and try to reopen wagon, it says that it's too far to do that (altough earlier WOGIC let you to reach from the same distance).

So only way is to haul the wagon throug the 14th floor to the top and grab mats from there.

I see that the "restriction" part of all this has now been put in WU.  When will we get the "fix" part?  (if there has indeed been a fix).   Is this PITA still a thing in WO?  Must everything have to have an associated PITA? 

What I'm experiencing is this.... A cart, directly under a ladder on the ground floor, is now out of reach, even from the floor just above it.   Not only can't "embark" to bring the cart up any more, can't even access the contents without climbing down, opening, climbing back up, build the wall, climb down, move cart under the next tile, climb back up, etc, etc, etc.   And this only works for the second story as the cart can't be brought up fully loaded now either.   So for third floor and above, have to build bridge/ramps or drag a cart with as much as you're able to drag at a time.

edit: I just noticed Wilczan says he can haul the wagon to the 14th floor.  So I guess WO got some sort of fix?    So when will WU get a fix?

Edited by Amadee