Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Just because it sucks so much

Edit By Keenan: Before you post a reply, read it all. Retrograde mentioned that the restrictions outside of a building will be corrected next patch! Thanks!

what the hell

you guys blew it on whatever you figured was great for range to access piles

blew it big time, screw this

it sucks

big time

just im case the other complaints did not make it through

the range to access piles of dirt and anything else I can image just blows monkey chunks everywhere

who thought it would be a great idea to make a pile on the upper end of a 300 slope tile out of reach, even if you were on that same tile?

this was just an example, its even more horrible than that, even on a 70 slope tile you are not going to be doing diddly squat with that item pile

Edited by Shrimpiie
Moderation Edit
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

-1 just climb to the pile

###### that

that is what you had to do when the piles were 2 tiles away

Yeah, it makes things a hassle with high slopes, no way around that 

The reason for the change was the ability to access things on upper floors allowing bypassing of permissions and mechanics designed to protect said items

We agree it's not good outdoors, and that'll be fixed with the next update, we did touch on this when it was raised in the initial update:

On 7/6/2018 at 1:41 PM, Retrograde said:
On 7/6/2018 at 6:02 AM, faty said:

The range at which you can pick up items was seriously affected for high slopes. I can go close to a 100 sloped tile and drop something that turns into a pile in the middle of that tile but I can't pick it up after... I have to climb a quarter of the tile to get to it. I think you should be able to pick up anything from the surounding  tiles no matter the slope especially if you just dropped it. 

Agreed, we'll be adjusting this to only matter in a house, i.e. unable to pick things up and drop things on the third floor from the ground floor

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Yeah, it makes things a hassle with high slopes, no way around that 

The reason for the change was the ability to access things on upper floors allowing bypassing of permissions and mechanics designed to protect said items

We agree it's not good outdoors, and that'll be fixed with the next update, we did touch on this when it was raised in the initial update:

this is what happens when you make changes without testing

please explain again why it was such a horrible thing to have access to containers from floors above or below? how did this change make sense in the first place, seriously

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 2

the worst part about digging is that no one wants to pick up the dirt piles

so the unlucky soul must travel around gathering up all the dirt piles piled up all over

so what do you all do? you make it even harder to gather dirt piles, so the plebs will not want to gather these up now, how about that

It also means you can't pick up things dropped, or better, accidently dropped in the ocean 

4633a0de0f5c33d3a49f987293c2b2ccbcc62f22

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I have not seen this as a liability before, it would seem to me that the coding should encompass the entire building, and not just the first floor, I would think it makes more sense to fix this than just nerfing the rang of accessing items.

Edited by JakeRivers

tbh what bothers me the most about this, is that the "open" option shows up on the rightclickmenu even when it's out of range to open...

• Like 2

seriously i live on a cliff and i used to be able to push my boats up without too much hassle, now i can barely push the thing half a tile. this is aggravating

1 hour ago, Miretta said:

tbh what bothers me the most about this, is that the "open" option shows up on the rightclickmenu even when it's out of range to open...

Agreed.

3 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

I have not seen this as a liability before, it would seem to me that the coding should encompass the entire building, and not just the first floor, I would think it makes more sense to fix this than just nerfing the rang of accessing items.

Because mechanics such as locked doors were possible to bypass under the right circumstances, it was reported as an exploit and after discussion we agreed this was the best course of action. 

Yes, it may impact those who have build more than 3 story tall storage houses taking advantage of the ability to reach infinitely into the sky, but the players at risk of losing items that were intended to be inaccessible will benefit far more. 

As for everything else, it's unintended and for all intent and purpose is a bug that will be fixed next update, our focus is on fixing the security issues, not hampering picking up dirt. 

• Like 3

I'm sure that there is some way to fix the dropping and picking up on the same tile? I live on a mountain and for me it has had a great impact on a lot of things when surface mining, even when recovering my corpse because I fell. It's near impossible to do that now without having stamina sandwiches. If I need to climb to a tile and I drop my tent for safety, it has happened multiple times that I couldn't reach the tent anymore to put things I wanted preserved in it and I ended up losing them. 

I understand and agree completely with the security issue taking priority over convenience and player experience, however I truly hope that picking things up on the same tile, at least, regardless of slope, will be possible again at some point. :) 

48 minutes ago, AJBlack said:

I'm sure that there is some way to fix the dropping and picking up on the same tile? I live on a mountain and for me it has had a great impact on a lot of things when surface mining, even when recovering my corpse because I fell. It's near impossible to do that now without having stamina sandwiches. If I need to climb to a tile and I drop my tent for safety, it has happened multiple times that I couldn't reach the tent anymore to put things I wanted preserved in it and I ended up losing them. 

I understand and agree completely with the security issue taking priority over convenience and player experience, however I truly hope that picking things up on the same tile, at least, regardless of slope, will be possible again at some point. :) 

Yes, there are ways, which have already been implemented and are waiting to go live. It will be possible again after the next patch

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

Nothing wrong with it, move to a flat field.

wow, just wow

Cant you just use large crates for dirt?  Its so easy to move them now with place....  You dont even need a wagon.

• Like 2

Also when this is looked at and fixed, can we please get the open/close option on the items synced with the distance that you can pick up stuff from them ? No point in having a bsb or forge window open on my screen if it keeps telling me that i can't reach that far when i try to remove an item..

• Like 3

I knew something was wrong, but I figured I was losing it, when another villager mentioned he cannot ring bells in the towers anymore I knew something was up.

35 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Sorry I am late, what sucks?

A difference in atmospheric pressure, usually.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keenan said:

A difference in atmospheric pressure, usually.

It could be worse!

p49pwsu.png

A lot of the changes keep making players annoyed, you should consider a different approach, i didn't voice my complaint about the new reach changes but darn, it's really dumb. Kinda like the silver mirror nerf, cmon bruh.

5 minutes ago, Niki said:

A lot of the changes keep making players annoyed, you should consider a different approach, i didn't voice my complaint about the new reach changes but darn, it's really dumb. Kinda like the silver mirror nerf, cmon bruh.

Not really, I mean, acknowledging that it's a bug and will be fixed NEXT UPDATE is not a change aimed at annoying players

We give a robust permissions system that allows players to protect their valuables, even while sharing houses, locked doors and individual permissions means players placing items here expect them to be there when they go to get them. 

Being able to reach up multiple floors allowed in some circumstances to bypass the horizontal block (doors) and steal items from other floors is something we want to avoid at all cost, even if it slightly inconveniences those with exceptionally large vertical storage systems, you can still reach one floor above you, just not infinitely into the sky

Our approach will ALWAYS be to ensure that item security is effective, especially given so much of it is up to players. 

The other issues raised regarding open/take range I'll pass long to the dev team 

33 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Not really, I mean, acknowledging that it's a bug and will be fixed NEXT UPDATE is not a change aimed at annoying players

We give a robust permissions system that allows players to protect their valuables, even while sharing houses, locked doors and individual permissions means players placing items here expect them to be there when they go to get them. 

Being able to reach up multiple floors allowed in some circumstances to bypass the horizontal block (doors) and steal items from other floors is something we want to avoid at all cost, even if it slightly inconveniences those with exceptionally large vertical storage systems, you can still reach one floor above you, just not infinitely into the sky

Our approach will ALWAYS be to ensure that item security is effective, especially given so much of it is up to players. 

The other issues raised regarding open/take range I'll pass long to the dev team 

Well I know fixing bugs is important obviously. Can you meet me half way though, like changing a game mechanic since the introduction of muti-story. Just doesn't feel right you know? In my eyes completely outright removing this so called "unintended behavior" feels more like a lazy change, instead of patching the exploit (I guess it would've taken to long to figure out?)

Can we get something like a Dumbwaiter added? Or a elevator, cause I don't want to build spiral staircases or use ladders to access items. The reason people built up in the first place is to save space, and keep those ulgy bulk storagebins off the main floor. It's not aesthetically pleasing.

46220a4b02b434aaa2d37401edec4e97--dumbwa