Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Shield Training - Current Status

I remember reading last year in the news section that shield training was changed and improved in some manner. So with just a shield equipped at 1 skill is it still best to start with a pig and target another animal nearby so as not to kill it? Then how high in the shield skill is it time to just move onto regular hunting? I think one of the things mentioned was that gains through regular hunting were improved enough to make it the effective way to go.

Anyone with recent experience in shield training can comment?

=Ayes=

shield training like that isnt really effective as you won't gain much skill from a pig. 

I've gone from about 15 to 60ish pretty quickly by simply fighting trolls in defensive with a 40-50ql shield

• Like 1

just kill everything in the area and ignore how slowly it goes up. If you're looking to grind it you'll have to find a traited troll spawner as anything else gives garbage gains over 70.

trolls--->greenish trolls---> champ trolls----> champ crocos.... best for skill gain

but yeah.. kill everything

Edited by Themystrix

hell scorps are quite nice too - make sure your shield is between 10-40ql if you are above 70 skill already

Defensive fighting, short sword, trolls are your way to go. You get hella body control, mind speed and you train 2 skills at once. For the 1-50 skill grind use a 40-60ql shield with high coc and LT with your short sword. Aggressive fighting has a slight skill gain advantage over defensive but it is minimal. I went from 84.xx-90 shield skill in 8 hours of sleep bonus. I've gone from 1-50 skill in 3 hours of sleep bonus training large wooden shield. Also once your over 90ql shield skill keep your shield between 5-14ql quality, anything over 15 ql is butt cheek gains at that skill. 

• Like 3

Thanks for all responses. It seems that just fighting mobs with a 40-50 QL shield is the way to go then, even to start from 1.00 skill level. I have a longsword now with 100LT, high CoC, etc. on it and some longsword skill from years ago to start out with, so that part of training is covered. Anyway, a long way to go to even 70 shield skill but good to have some general idea on how to start out.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I've had a lot of fun with shield training with these changes.  I've been using lower ql on the mobs that don't hit as hard, med ql for trolls and/or hellhounds.  I 'can' use low ql on trolls and hounds but it's risky, lost about 8 shields now.

Now-a-days gains have slowed down a lot, not sure why....

[17:12:06] Large metal shield increased by 0.000008 to 99.993576

Edited by Xanto
  • Like 1