Sign in to follow this  
PotatoOnStick

Animal feeding

Did anyone ever consider a sort of bin to just fill up with spare stuff for the animals? (i'm too Dutch to know what these things are called sadly)

If anything it makes feeding them at least more pleasing visually. Rather then having just a pile of pumpkins, grass or corn on the ground. 

For example:

Spoiler

feeding-weaners.jpg

• Like 4

it is called a TROUGH and as you can see, it gets suggested a LOT ...

videoblocks-herd-of-sheep-and-ram-eating

Hmm this might also be a useful place for me to insert my semi-annual suggestion for KIBBLE (which would work especially well when paired with TROUGHS) :

kibble.jpg

One problem with troughs however is that animals normally will not move towards feed (well they supposedly will, but anyone raising animals will know it is glitchy) so maybe a coding workaround is something that slowly 'deletes' food in it and then replenishes animal hunger bars if there is a trough within 5 tiles of them (so you might need to place several, 10 tiles apart).  Devs probably want to avoid a ccircumstance where a trough will keep abandoned animals alive forever, so maybe the 'decay/deletion'  rate is set to remove 1/10th of a trough's capacity of food a day, so that a compltely full one automatically runs out after 10 days. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

so maybe a coding workaround is something that slowly 'deletes' food in it and then replenishes animal hunger bars if there is a trough within 5 tiles of them

8 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Devs probably want to avoid a ccircumstance where a trough will keep abandoned animals alive forever

I would have said that one needs to clean the trough once every so often or risk getting diseased animals. Regarding the kibble however i would have given it special properties for the trough so it would make it the ideal food for your animals.

+1. i dont have pigs but the few times i had some...feeding them was hellish....

and same problems with hens. this would help a great deal!

+1    Would love an animal trough of some sort - would be great.  I also find it strange that the animals do not need water....

30 minutes ago, Baloo said:

+1    Would love an animal trough of some sort - would be great.  I also find it strange that the animals do not need water....

Just a thought, but if people also have to feed and water their animals else they die, a lot of people will not have the time to "play".  I think we need to remember that wurm is a game, not a job.  Adding items which can see animals live in caves would be great, like pressing corn, wheat and grass into feeding blocks which you can drop next to your animal like real life feeding pellets.  Or perhaps pressing grass and woodscraps into bales for a lower value food but at least it can keep animals fed inside caves.  I would also love an option to "dry" meat or fish with salt, inside for example a kiln or something, to create dried meats we can drop for wildcats and bears, which would last longer as food than fresh meat.  These options would make the game more enjoyable as you do not have to go feed your pets every few days if they still have hard rations on the ground to sustain them.  This frees up more time to do other things in Wurm, like hunting or crafting.

However, changing game mechanics to add more jobs and things to do? I do not want that to happen as I already find it very difficult to do the basics in wurm with my real life job...which I need to pay for premium and deeds inside Wurm...which is a game...

• Like 2

[02:46:54] You fall into a trough. You think about Fairyshine.

What about a huge oil barrel (or similar) also serving as a tank or source of liquid feed - e.g soup, for pigs, so they can go help themselves.  Stealing brash's idea of a radius of effect, you would need to fill it up with more liquid food every once in a while but basically it would have a chance to fully feed 1 animal in a 5x5 square radius every hour or so - if your farm is bigger - you need more feeding stations.

Alternatively, if the guards are lighting our lamps from oil on deed already, why not feed the pigs too? :P 

Edited by Muse
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Ekib said:

+1. i dont have pigs but the few times i had some...feeding them was hellish....

also +1

Feeding animals isn’t so much about dropping enough food to keep them fed, but growing enough food to keeping the piles full. Animals eat constantly, just keeping a few pigs and chickens can eat up a lot, having to feed constantly feed grazing animals would eat my whole farm.