Sign in to follow this  
Enlightened_One

Crossing server borders

Hey, all.  Question about where we enter a new server when sailing across borders.

Here I reference the main map in Wurmpedia (with Cluster 1 servers to the west, Cluster 2 servers to the east, and Xanadu in the middle).

Sailing From Xanadu

Starting at Xanadu, sailing west we get to Deliverance only.  Correct?  And sailing east from Xanadu leads to Release only.  Correct?

Sailing To Xanadu

Going to Xanadu, each of Cluster 1 servers (except for Chaos) has direct access to Xanadu, and each of Cluster 2 servers has direct access to Xanadu.  Correct?

OK.  What I need to know is...when sailing from any of Cluster 1 servers to Xanadu, do all Cluster 1 servers reach Xanadu at the same place?  In the middle of the western edge of Xanadu?

And when sailing from either of Cluster 2's two servers to Xanadu, do both Cluster 2 servers reach Xanadu at the same point?  In the middle of the eastern edge of Xanadu?

Edited by Enlightened_One

You can select a destination on the boat and it will take you to the opposite border of selected destination.

But where in Xanadu do you arrive?  When sailing from Cluster 1 to Xanadu, do all four routes arrive at the same place on the western part of Xanadu?  And when sailing from Cluster 2 to Xanadu, do both routes arrive at the same place on the eastern part of Xanadu?

Oh, I think I understand it now.  Someone tell me if I'm right or wrong.

Say I want to sail from Xanadu to Exodus.  I select Exodus as the destination from my "Plot course" menu option.  Then, if I sail north out of Xanadu (crossing Xanadu's northern border), I will arrive at Exodus' southern border.  If I sail south out of Xanadu (crossing Xanadu's southern border), I will arrive at Exodus' northern border.  If I sail east out of Xanadu, I will arrive at the western edge of Exodus.  And if I sail west out of Xanadu, I will arrive at the eastern edge of Exodus.  Is that right?

So sailing back from Exodus to Xanadu, if I sail east out of Exodus, I will arrive at the western edge of Xanadu.  If I sail west out of Exodus, I will arrive at the eastern edge of Xanadu.  If I sail north out of Exodus, I will arrive at the southern edge of Xanadu.  And if I sail south out of Exodus, I will arrive at the northern edge of Xanadu.  Correct?

That would mean each island isn't really on the same planet.  But they are each sort of independently floating on a different plane of existence.  Or am I the one on a different plane of existence?

If you look at your in game map you will see that the world is flat and all islands are connected with a fixed path!

But using plot course works like magic and allows you to go to islands(Servers) that are not touching each other.

If you don't use plot course, the arrows on the world map in game shows you how the servers are connected.

http://prntscr.com/k6akej

Thanks for the replies.  That is actually the map I was looking at.

My question is regarding where all these points meet in Xanadu.  For example, according to the map, the lines leading to Xanadu from Independence, Deliverance, Exodus and Celebration all seem to meet at the same place in the middle of the western edge of Xanadu.  Is this where we actually arrive when sailing from Ind., Del, Ex, and Cel to Xanadu?  Do they all take you to the middle of the western edge of Xanadu?

And on the eastern side  of Xanadu, if we sail from Pristine or Release to Xanadu, do both routes arrive at the same point in the middle part of the eastern edge of Xanadu?  Are the lines on this map the actual routes those journeys take?

There's one more way I can describe it... If someone is sails from Exodus to Xanadu, where exactly will he be when he arrives on Xanadu's server?  What part of Xanadu exactly will he be in?  Where in Xanadu does he arrive?  Is it exactly where the dotted line on the map shows?  Are the dotted lines the exact paths taken?

So then someone sailing from Independence to Xanadu is going to enter Xanadu close to Glass Hollow?  And someone who sails from Celebration to Xanadu is going to enter Xanadu close to Newspring?

If you leave Xanadu at K-15 East, sailing for Exodus, you will end up on Western border of Exodus, at K-15. People often take shortcuts via smaller servers when they travel across Xanadu.

On Xanadu you would have to travel from A-1 to M-1 this long:

A-1----------------------------------------M-1

Jumping over to smaller server and sailing that distance there is this long:

A-30----------M-30

Once you reach desired coordinates just jump back to Xanadu and you will cross the border pretty much at the same ingame map coordinate.

Remember not to cross borders too close to the map corner, it's known to cause problems.

• Like 1

Thanks, that's helpful.  I'll just have to make a few hops over the boundaries to see how it all works.

So, then, just to make sure I understand...

If someone departs Exodus in the middle of the eastern border, they will arrive in Xanadu in the middle of its western border.  And if they depart Exodus in the northern part of the eastern border, they will arrive in Xanadu in the northern part of its western border.  And if they depart Exodus in the southern part of the eastern border, they will arrive in Xanadu at the southern part of its western border.  The place where they arrive in Xanadu is always at the same north-south latitude as their departure from Exodus.  Correct?

Correct!

(As already mentioned, make sure not to come too close to the server corners - so avoid going too far north or too far south if you want to leave Exodus via its eastern border.)

Thanks, but no one has been able to answer my question.  Let me rephrase it.

______________________                                        ______________________________

|                                       |                                       |                                                      |

|                                       |   A                          A     |                                                      |

|                                       |                                       |                                                      |

E  |         Celebration          |   B                         B     |                    Xanadu                     |  E

|                                       |                                       |                                                      |

|                                       |   C                         C      |                                                      |

|                                       |                               D     |                                                      |

______________________                                         ______________________________

3 people depart from Celebration to Xanadu from Celebration points A, B, and C.  Does the "A" guy arrive in Xanadu at point A?  And does the "B" guy arrive in Xanadu at point B?  And does the "C" guy arrive in Xanadu at point C?  Or do they all arrive at point D because Xanadu is located NE of Celebration?

And if someone departs Celebration from E heading to Xanadu, where in Xanadu does he arrive?  At point E?  If so, then the "E" guy would be sailing west around the world and would arrive at the other side of Xanadu.  Correct?

A-A B-B etc.

If you check the legend on the side of the ingame map you will for exmaple arrive at "g" on the new server  if you leave at "g" ; you will arrive at "14" if you depart at "14" (north-south travels)

1 hour ago, Enlightened_One said:

but no one has been able to answer my question.

As far as I can see your question has been answered before. But, here we go again:

Does the "A" guy arrive in Xanadu at point A?

Yes.

And does the "B" guy arrive in Xanadu at point B?

Yes.

And does the "C" guy arrive in Xanadu at point C?

Yes.

if someone departs Celebration from E heading to Xanadu, where in Xanadu does he arrive?  At point E?

Yes. (However, as there is no "natural" connection between the west side of Celebration and the east side of Xanadu, the boat must have a course plotted from Celebration to Xanadu)

If so, then the "E" guy would be sailing west around the world and would arrive at the other side of Xanadu.  Correct?

Maybe. (We don't really know, because the naval procedures behind course plotting are unknown. Maybe they just sail around both islands... ?)

Awesome!  Thanks, folks.  I'm just trying to pick the best place on the coast of Xanadu to build my bulk goods market, so that it is the most convenient for buyers coming from different servers.

By the sound of what's been described above, then, the best place to setup shop on the west coast of Xanadu would be somewhere around grid "L-17",  so that anyone sailing from Ind, Del, Ex, and Cel could just sail off their "L-32" grid in the middle of their eastern edge and would arrive at Xanadu "L-0" grid, and from there quickly reach my western shop at Xanadu "L-17".

And the best place to set up shop on the east coast of Xanadu would be around grid "L-26", so that anyone sailing from Pristine and Release could just depart near their "L-0" on the west edge of their maps and would arrive at Xanadu "L-32", and from there quickly reach my eastern shop at Xanadu "L-26".

OK.  Now we're rolling.  Whew!  Thanks, folks.  Much appreciated.