Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

So long, and thanks for all the fish

It's been a long time; over five years, getting on for six I think.  I joined wurm before sorcery ever came out, when release and pristine were their own cluster, when character animations had not been fully added for many actions, before wrapping was removed, and before uniques ever started to respawn.

Over those years, I've seen a lot of new content added; new furniture, wagons, the sorcery skill, archaeology, item imbues, runes and player gods to name a few.  Rifts were introduced (my favourite feature), and I even lived to see Rolf vanish from the game.

I planted forests (which still exist), healed rifters (and left a few small hedged areas behind), enchanted more LT weapons than I can count at impalongs, and helped more than a few players find their place in wurm.  

But...  I picked a tricky path, I went for a priest in wurm, maining a priest without an alt to look after me, arguably the greatest challenge the game has to offer.  

In over five years, I've seen a single new spell added for priests (the useless tangleweave), I've seen a a tiny handful buffed; a little extra functionality added to bless and courier too; but I've also seen the permanent shatter added, the healing nerfs and the breaking of priest balance with player gods.

A short while ago, I posted up a thread and was called a complainer, and, after really thinking about it, I realise that yes, I've ended up as one.  I've held out a long time for actual priest content, not just a nod but something with a bit of solid substance, even made a ton of suggestions too.  I even held out for a restoration of priest balance.  But, in the end, I reckon it's best to vanish before I end up disliked even more than I am now, because no-one likes a whiner, and I can't really see myself as happy with the way the game is intended to go (not that I think it is the wrong way to go, merely that it is a direction that isn't for me)!

So; so long, and thanks for all the fish (so many hours fishing...).  Good luck to you, thanks to everyone who made my wurm experience a good one, and I hope you get to enjoy many more wonderful content updates to a very fun game.

• Like 1

Was always happy to see you at a Rift...   Happy Hunting.

Hey, I don't dislike you!

Hopefully they will actually listen now and make a  main priest more fun to play.

I say as Morhedron: Happy hunting!

Never met you in-game but hope that you reconsider.

People obviously do like you and like your ideas or else surely you would not have so many reputation points.

Think again, but if you do decide to go then good luck.

• Like 1

Keep the priest on ice for a bit, try a new character, join a newbie village and rekindle the enthusiasm.  That way, when improvements to priests finally come in, you'll have a bit more of a choice.

You've come up with some great suggestions recently, I think you're a real ambassador for priests - as Muse is a priest too, I'd say we need as many like yourself as we can get, priests who speak up boldly, so I hope you'll stay active on the forums, and I hope to see you around in game - I hope I recognise you then Etherdrifter! :P 

Carry On Wurming! :D 

• Like 7

When I joined the team, I listed three primary focuses:

• Weapon/Armour/Combat
  • Spells & Religion
  • PvP

I'm unsure if this changes anything, but those are my focus points.

• Like 14

Didn't agree with some of your ideas but you also had a lot of good ones  :) Rest assured that most of us did not hate you even when disagreed you and you have my respect as fellow Wurm player. Good luck in your future ventures and never sell your character, you never know ;)  I sincerly hope you will come back one day :)

• Like 1

@Etherdrifter

I wont deny it. You are a rather polarizing individual at times, but these are the forums, a place where you post your ideas, your arguments, your opinions. It is a battleground of wits, where the players pit against each other to push their own agendas, and constantly step on each other's toes.

I personally have posted my ideas thousands of times, and gotten punted more than a few. I have locked horns with players old and new. Have I always been right? Hell no. But that has not stopped me.

If you are quitting the game over what a couple mouthbreathing nerds have to say about you, you are making a big mistake. If you dont like your character anymore, shelf it and start a new one. Get a new perspective on the game, go for a new path. Or even depriest him, and go try the way of the crafter.

Ether, you love this game. This is a passion to you. Don't give up what you love because of what others may think about you. That road leads to folly.

@Etherdrifter

As a matter of fact, make a new alt. I,'ll personally gear you up and give you a place to live. Give me a week. You'll be back on your priest in no time :)

• Like 6

Sorry your specific gameplay style did not fit too well in the grand scheme of the game that is Wurm Online. 

I hope you have fun being a mage in other games.

Oh this gives me some chagrin and ennui.  Your reasons are rational Ether, and the forums...are a constant source of cancer that can shred people.  I have always found you pleasant and community minded and seeing you about often.  Maybe just some time off will help refuel tank.  I once did that without regret and her i be as committed to wurm and enjoying it as ever.  Maybe you'll reconsider, maybe you'll feel different after some time away.  Maybe not and you'll find some other amazing venues to use your time.  Regardless of the choice, it's been nice to share space and may we bump into each other again.  All the best to you!  Namaste.

• Like 1

The problem with priests they were never designed to be anything more than some 3rd rate alt, or pvp single focus combat.

I'm still waiting on chicken coops, pvp improvements, UI, tutorial , and lastly a new loyalty reward system. With the introduction of a few new devs, we might see some changes. Nothing wrong with taking a break, I do it often myself. Hope to see you back one day, I really liked a lot of your threads, shame the developers never implemented any.

I've no opinion of this and don't know you well enough to wish you luck.

i won't comment on previous post its self explanatory... heheh..

@Etherdrifter i applaud your attempts at spurring the devs into making some much needed priest updates maybe even dropping restrictions to some level.. qol and all that.. but i know you as a sober and well informed comment maker whose done his part .. so what i want to say is don't sell ur  toon.. we can leave Wurm but Wurm never leaves us!!.. don't regret your decision down the road when they do make those changes and you do want to come back as i did,.. that hardwork can never truly be replaced.. catch ya on the flip side and i am sorry we never fought side by side in the WurmWorld..

• Like 1

It’s a sandbox, play your style and advocate (hell or complain about what you don’t think is right). You should and so should everyone else. 

Sorry to see someone go after waiting so long, but if I can offer any advice.. keep an eye on the valrei internationals and patch notes, the dev’s seem to be ramping up bug fixes and actively communicating more to make things better than I’ve ever seen. It’s encouraging when at times I get dissapointed about things that seem so simple, but don’t work or are just so frustrating in general. 

Hope to see you back  

p.s. didn’t the original Tuanta title his goodbye post the same? Confused me lol

• Like 1

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, Etherdrifter said:

But, in the end, I reckon it's best to vanish before I end up disliked even more than I am now, because no-one likes a whiner, and I can't really see myself as happy with the way the game is intended to go

So you voiced your opinions about what changes you would like to see be made for priests. I hardly would equate you with being a whiner for doing so. You were never abusive to others in the process either, which is a very positive quality when presenting ideas that conflict with others opinions. Anyway, it seems to me that your main discouragement is with how priests function in the game as stated. So yeah, if it has gotten to the breaking point for you it's understandable that you would say farewell.

Probably best to do as a few have suggested and just take a break from the game for a while. Just don't sell off your account with all the work and enjoyment you have put into it, as none will appreciate it as you have. Perhaps someday you will return.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 7

There's not much I can add to what has been said, but extend the same offer as Angelkaine. I reckon the Ageless lake will at least bear some familiarity, especially if you wouldn't want to leave Xanadu. Maybe give living on a deed not being a solo priest a shot, even though it's understandably just a relief of some inconveniences, not the solution to your overall gripe.

• Like 1

Talk to Rocklobstar, he has a utility alt, but mostly he sticks to his main, sometimes he depriests and often he changes religion, but for the most part he plays the priest all the time.

From

2 hours ago, Sindusk said:

After this update, the next focus will be on the long promised priest and spell overhaul. This overhaul will feature a balance pass on all 98 spells available to priests and review of priest restrictions to improve gameplay for solo and PvP priests. There’s more to it than just that, and we’ll be sharing more details over the coming weeks.

Etherdrifter, it looks as if there may well be some changes on the horizon...

Edited by Wulfmaer

Bye Etherdrifter!  Thanks for the good times. You'll always be welcome in Puddlesby!

@EtherdrifterI'm also one of those who are really sad to see you go. No, you don't feel like a whiner, I think I've read most of your forum posts and comments. You always add a different viewing angle to things - new or modified - maybe sometimes you sounded desperate but that is natural.

I hope I'll see you back in the game, as an advice DON'T sell Etherdrifter. No proper market these days anyway and maybe you'll feel to return at a point. If that happens please don't hesitate ton contact me for gear and stuff to get you back to speed easily.

Based on my WU and Epic experiences,  priesthood resconsidered in Wurm CAN make the life of a priest more enjoyable, I could also see a way to have "adepts" how are part priest, part secular...

I hope you'll keep around at least the forums and news.... during your break :P

I hope you just take a break and will come back to Wurm. We would miss you. :)

On 7/13/2018 at 2:34 AM, rapidron said:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

wow tingles all up and down my spine reading those verses...........woah...........