Sign in to follow this  
Benie

Recommendations needed for Motherboard/RAM upgrade (for Java-based gaming)

Current specs/what I'm looking for. This will be used for mainly Java-based games (like Wurm, and Modded Minecraft).

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 / In need of AM4-supported board, with lots of USB ports (no RGB)
CPU: AMD FX 4350 / (looking for a Ryzen 5 2600)
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 750Ti / (not looking for an upgrade right now,(due to pricing) but I know I'll need one in the future)
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws DDR-3 16GB(4 sticks), FC-12800CL9-4GBRL / (looking for DDR-4 compatible, low profile RAM, no RGB)
Cooler: CYRORIG H7

Budget: $500-800 (hope to keep costs down as low as possible).
Preferred store: Newegg
Not looking for anything else. The main focus is a motherboard with lots of USB ports, and low profile RAM.
Intel people need not apply here. This is the CPU I have chosen, all I need is recommendations for the Motherboard/RAM.

Edited by Benie

Just a quick tip, the ryzen 3 1300x is half the price and only drops like 15% in performance. I got that one, it works wonders on virtually any game.

@Gladiator, but is it (near) futureproof? I want something that'll last me 5-10 years.

42 minutes ago, Benie said:

@Gladiator, but is it (near) futureproof? I want something that'll last me 5-10 years.

Considering that the 2600 is just 15% better, there's not much of a difference. Thing is, no PC part will last you 5-10 years, none... well, maybe RAM might,  but anything else will need upgrading / replacing. It's just how it works. In my opinion a PC checkup should be done every 2-3 years and an upgrade every 4-5 because the middle ground parts (for example a 1060 instead of a 1080ti highend or 1050 lowend) are a much better buy than their counterparts. 

using the Ryzen R7 1700x myself with 64gb of DDR4 ram @ 3,200mhz  can do 16gb at 50-70 euro per 8gb card

21 hours ago, Elwood2 said:

using the Ryzen R7 1700x myself with 64gb of DDR4 ram @ 3,200mhz  can do 16gb at 50-70 euro per 8gb card

Sounds like a good config but I doubt that the OP needs so much RAM. More than 16GB RAM is really not needed, most of the RAM would not be in use. We are using 64GB RAM in total for the Sklotopolis servers... 

And yeah go for a Ryzen, using them in my PCs and my newer servers too, highly efficient and recommended.

Edited by Sklo:D

On 7/11/2018 at 10:05 PM, Benie said:

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 750Ti / (not looking for an upgrade right now,(due to pricing) but I know I'll need one in the future)

The GPU market doesn't indicate any better pricing in the future.

Cryptocurrency and Machine-learning(AI) are gobbling up and affecting the prices of most powerful GPU's. 

I don't see these technologies releasing their demand any time soon. Just a FYI. 

Depends which card. We have been waiting a long time on a reasonably priced 1050ti at our house (my fiance & I have matching systems, except he has an older 750ti and I snatched what must have been the absolute  last good 1050ti  deal before prices took off -- I got mine for about $135 but right after that they started skyrocketing up to 2-3x that price) , but that card has not budged much in pricing.  Cards a little more upscale though have been getting cheaper, compare prices for instance on the 1060 & 1080 between January & May of this year, they have dropped anywhere from $150-$300  this year, still above MSRP but getting closer:

https://www.techspot.com/article/1626-gpu-pricing-q2-2018/

Many are forcasting that NVidia's newest lineup will be announced Aug 21, 2018 – Aug 25, 2018 during Gamescon, which will cause GTX 10-series to drop even more. NVidia has been downplaying their new release date though as they want people to buy out the 10-series now before the next release forces a price drop:

Why GPU Pricing Is About to Drop Even Further

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/why-gpu-pricing-will-drop-further,37444.html

July 12, 2018 at 6:30 AM

>Much to the delight of enthusiast PC gamers, graphics card pricing has decreased in the past few weeks, with many Nvidia and AMD GPUs reverting back to (or close to) their original MSRPs. However, if you are to believe the rumors, pricing on currently available graphics cards is about to plummet even further. Here’s why.

Everyone seems to agree though, its best to hold off a little bit longer. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1