Sign in to follow this  
CrazyDad543

Java?

Ok, this is just a curious question. As you'll find, I have wayyyyyy too much curiosity. 

So, here goes.... Is there any research or development underway to re-release wurm using a different engine? Something not Java or Javascript based? Other games use different code with varying results. And I was just curious. 

I'd go far as to say no.  There's been quite a few discussions of this in the past, even so much as to ponder if a release on Android or IOS was an option.  It's not as simple as releasing the game on another engine, they are not plugins or add-ons that you can simply recompile your code and be ready to deploy.   It would take years to do and, for that matter,  would be time better spent just making Wurm 2.0 or another game completely.

I will say, for a long time people thought java outdated, junk, and that Wurm was an example of how bad java is.   And during those years, wurm was a beast of a lag machine, it was terrible performance wise and to turn on shadows without a 2000usd PC was death.  But then all of a sudden they began hiring devs and volunteer coders and what you have today (which is very aggressively being optimized and getting new features) is a pretty well oiled game that with every update is working better and better on average PC's.

I think it's sufficed to say, wurm will be staying on Java and it's getting slicker as every update polishes it's many awesome features further then before.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 2

The game would essentially have to be rewritten from the ground up. I do not consider this likely.

• Like 1

It also doesnt actually bring any change, a game in java is the same as a game in unity, being java doesnt make it anything beyond a few minor quirks in java, being in unity doesnt make it anything other than a unity game. They don't instantly make them look or perform better or worse either way. 

• Like 2