Sign in to follow this  
Naiani

Looser limitations for inscribing and books

I would like to request that books be able to hold more than 10 pages. My alliance has been trying to write guides for new players, and 10 pages isn't a lot of room for that. Even 20 pages would be a nice improvement :)

• Like 3

Now that we have proper books and can fill them with pages, and keep them long-term (since the book can be repaired and improved), I feel like now would be a good time to revisit the current limitations on inscription, and books themselves.

Books hold 10 pages of inscribed paper/papyrus, and each inscribed page has a character limit on par with a single Twitter message. Many characters are also disallowed from inscription for what I presume are technical reasons, and this includes common punctuation marks.

This makes books... not particularly useful for many purposes. I would suggest:

1. Increasing the number of pages per book.
  2. Significantly increasing the number of possible characters per unit of paper/papyrus.
  3. Resolving whatever issue prevents allowing punctuation marks and other special characters, even if only a limited set of them.

This would expand the usefulness of books significantly.

More important details under the spoiler tag:

Spoiler

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

+1, or even have it function off of book quality. Each quality = one more page, or every 5 quality = one more page. Rarity would add more pages as well.

Edited by Gheen
  • Like 1

Dammit, you beat me to this apparently! I also just posted a thread:

2 minutes ago, Gheen said:

+1, or even have it function off of quality. Each quality = more more page, or every 5 quality = 1 more page. Rarity would add more pages as well.

Yeah, since you can improve books, this sounds perfectly reasonable.

Another idea: Contracts!

Right now, the signature on inscribed paper cannot be forged, and serves as legitimate proof of who wrote it.

... But what if you could do that with two signatures? This would essentially allow for signing of contracts. You could have an in-game method of keeping track of deals you made, in a way that is verifiable and unable to be forged. Could be useful for things like high-value trades.

Maybe just let an additional person add their signature, so the signature reads something like "It was written by <playername>, and has also been signed by <someone> and <someone else>".

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 3

On 7/10/2018 at 9:39 AM, Gheen said:

+1, or even have it function off of book quality. Each quality = one more page, or every 5 quality = one more page. Rarity would add more pages as well.

This is a great idea.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:48 PM, Ostentatio said:

Another idea: Contracts!

Right now, the signature on inscribed paper cannot be forged, and serves as legitimate proof of who wrote it.

... But what if you could do that with two signatures? This would essentially allow for signing of contracts. You could have an in-game method of keeping track of deals you made, in a way that is verifiable and unable to be forged. Could be useful for things like high-value trades.

Maybe just let an additional person add their signature, so the signature reads something like "It was written by <playername>, and has also been signed by <someone> and <someone else>".

I would expand that even further, by making contract of ownership of wagons, boats, carts, bsbs, fsbs, buildings, just one possible per at any time, that can be sold, when buyer get contract he can use it to get permanent ownership of vehicle/container and contact would crumble to dust. This would make trade of such goods even more easier...

Edited by kochinac

I like the idea of maximum pages in a book depends on the quality of the book itself.

There are many inns and guesthouses, it'd be cool to have a guestbook, where visitors can leave their greetings (with their unique, unfakeable signature; "I was never here! -Enki")

Not sure if that's doable right now, what permissions does it require on deed/in house/on book, etc.