Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes: 10/JUL/18

PatchNotes.png

• An issue causing a crash with large amounts of items in the area has been addressed.
  • Due to a potential exploitable situation, the quality boost on creation from imbued potions and oils has been removed for the time being. 
  • The 100 prospecting title has been added.

The post Patch Notes: 10/JUL/18 appeared first on Wurm Online.

12/JUL/18

• Fixed equipped electrum chain coif
  • Fixed electrum necklace for lower resolution settings
  • Added additional terrain normal maps and tweaked specular values
  • Fixed buff hover text for necklaces
  • Pry action with crowbar no longer shows as a checkerboard on the select bar
  • Stone bench now has an unfinished model
  • Texture optimizations

40 minutes ago, DevBlog said:

An issue causing a crash with large amounts of items in the area has been addressed.

Does this mean TOC is safe now?

Woot

7 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Does this mean TOC is safe now?

Woot

Should be, your fault for having nearly 10k items trying to render! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevBlog said:

Due to a potential exploitable situation, the quality boost on creation from imbued potions and oils has been removed for the time being.  

I was enjoying my Stone Cutting imbue actually working as intended for once.

If your concern is bumping up the quality of materials, then just reduce by x amount of weight, maybe 25 to 50 percent. At least it gives an incentive for the imbues on things like anvils and chisels. :)

31 minutes ago, Xallo said:

I was enjoying my Stone Cutting imbue actually working as intended for once.

If your concern is bumping up the quality of materials, then just reduce by x amount of weight, maybe 25 to 50 percent. At least it gives an incentive for the imbues on things like anvils and chisels. :)

It will be revisited, as well as investigating those who have abused the situation without reporting it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevBlog said:

Due to a potential exploitable situation, the quality boost on creation from imbued potions and oils has been removed for the time being. 

my dream of 100ql bricks has been ruined

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Should be, your fault for having nearly 10k items trying to render! 

Ha! He thinks it was only 10k.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Keenan said:

It will be revisited, as well as investigating those who have abused the situation without reporting it.

I realize I wasn't entirely clear by this.

The reason it was yanked is that people assumed it was intentional for you to be able to increase the quality of moon metals via creation QL boosts and smelting it back down.

I've got a list of suspected people and amounts.

I'm not sure what Enki will be doing, but if it were me -  I'd probably fess up in a ticket and set the offending amounts aside.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, armyskin said:

Ha! He thinks it was only 10k.

10k? seems fairly exaggerated to me

3 minutes ago, Keenan said:

The reason it was yanked is that people assumed it was intentional for you to be able to increase the quality of moon metals via creation QL boosts and smelting it back down.

I'm not sure what Enki will be doing, but if it were me -  I'd probably fess up in a ticket and set the offending amounts aside.

Doesn't smelting cost you a portion of the weight? I'd have to be rolling in MM to throw it away like that.

1 minute ago, Roccandil said:

Doesn't smelting cost you a portion of the weight? I'd have to be rolling in MM to throw it away like that.

It does, but with the imbue you were able to greatly improve the overall quality of metals in a way that was obviously unintentional. Let's just say for the QL gains by this, the weight loss was worth the cost for those abusing the situation. 

8 minutes ago, Keenan said:

It does, but with the imbue you were able to greatly improve the overall quality of metals in a way that was obviously unintentional. Let's just say for the QL gains by this, the weight loss was worth the cost for those abusing the situation. 

I for one would love a way to 'fix' all my crappy bronze/steel/brass lumps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Git gud, scrub. :P

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I agree: it feels odd that Wurm has no concept of refining. I'd love to be able to refine/imp lumps, trading weight for QL.

The metallurgy skill, of course, would drive that...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

I agree: it feels odd that Wurm has no concept of refining. I'd love to be able to refine/imp lumps, trading weight for QL.

The metallurgy skill, of course, would drive that...

Shhh... get out of our dev chat.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Keenan said:

You should take this as a hint, if ql lumps were not so hard to get, maybe people would not leap at a chance to use a exploit such as this to make something usable, if it could be called an exploit or abuse as they were merely using existing game mechanics. Metallurgy in its current form sucks, and getting decent ql moonmetal lumps is a tough one as well, unless you have the hota locked up, there really is no good way to get lumps for imping with easily. A single lump from a rift don't go very far.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

You should take this as a hint, if ql lumps were not so hard to get, maybe people would not leap at a chance to use a exploit such as this to make something usable, if it could be called an exploit or abuse as they were merely using existing game mechanics. Metallurgy in its current form sucks, and getting decent ql moonmetal lumps is a tough one as well, unless you have the hota locked up, there really is no good way to get lumps for imping with easily. A single lump from a rift don't go very far.

Items being rare is not an excuse for exploiting game bugs in order to get more of it. Some things are supposed to be rarer than others. If you want to argue that high quality moonmetal should be more common, that's valid (although I'd disagree). However, that is absolutely not an excuse to use exploits to get them.

Also, people exploiting a mechanic to get more of something than they should is not, in itself, a sign that there is a problem with game balance. People have exploited mechanics, and otherwise cheated, for far, far less return than this. If people have cheated to get more iron and bricks, then the presence of cheating is insufficient to indicate that something is too uncommon to achieve by normal means.

Also, by definition, every exploit "uses existing game mechanics". The definition of an exploit is using those game mechanics in a way that was not intended to be accomplished/possible, or that circumvents or undermines how gameplay is intended to work. The only sort of exploit that doesn't use existing game mechanics would be the kind that involves actively hacking the game client or server in order to change those mechanics, which is a whole other ball game.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

Also, people exploiting a mechanic to get more of something than they should is not, in itself, a sign that there is a problem with game balance. People have exploited mechanics, and otherwise cheated, for far, far less return than this. If people have cheated to get more iron and bricks, then the presence of cheating is insufficient to indicate that something is too uncommon to achieve by normal means.

In this case, we apparently have a large pool of low-QL MM, that can't be used effectively due to a lack of high-QL MM. The ability to trade quantity for quality sounds like a good change to consider (and would be a kind of MM sink, as well).

I note this wouldn't be an issue if, like scale/drake, MM gear could be imped with lesser alloys (steel/electrum). I'd rather see refining added to Wurm, however.

Edited by Roccandil
  • Like 3

Tbh I would hire that so called exploiters as part of test team as dev team obviously have severe lack of ability to predict possible abuses and consequences or mechanics they're bringing into game.. Just friendly advice much better to treat your customers with quality service instead of treating them like a bunch of children that needs to be punished for using porly thought mechanics. If it was me to discover that it wouldn't come to my mind as abuse because sacrificing amount to gain ql seems like intented action to me. Also +1 for idea about refining any lumps with metallurgy skill

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kochinac said:

Tbh I would hire that so called exploiters as part of test team as dev team obviously have severe lack of ability to predict possible abuses and consequences or mechanics they're bringing into game.. Just friendly advice much better to treat your customers with quality service instead of treating them like a bunch of children that needs to be punished for using porly thought mechanics. If it was me to discover that it wouldn't come to my mind as abuse because sacrificing amount to gain ql seems like intented action to me. Also +1 for idea about refining any lumps with metallurgy skill

Think they prefer witch hunts, especially for this, I think Keenan was being very heavy handed in his opinion of this matter. So someone was able to convert there creation ql material into imping lumps, end result is it will finally get used instead of sitting around, not exactly the end of the world or game breaking.

How about you spend some time finding and punishing the ones using map hacks.

Edited by JakeRivers

I'm not handing out punishments. Something was added that had unintended consequences, and rather than reporting those consequences to us we have players who decided to exploit it out of greed.

What comes of the data I've extracted at the time of patch is not my call. In fact, perhaps I should've not even mentioned anything and simply allowed the GM team to handle it. Instead I gave a gentle hint that people may want to do the right thing while there's still time to do so.

If you want to discuss a feature to do this properly, that belongs in the suggestions forum. In fact, there's already a good one there if I recall.

What we have in these last few replies are people trying to use the need for a feature to dismiss exploiting an unintended consequence of an update. It doesn't matter what your justification is - it's still exploiting. That is what matters. For every person who exploited this situation because they felt entitled to do it, there's dozens of players who didn't exploit it. They aren't using the lack of a refinement system as justification for cheating.

As for time, it took me 15 minutes to cobble together a report due to my knowledge of the database and logs we have. 15 well-spent minutes.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Keenan said:

Any word on how long? I was excited to find my brick output was higher quality. :P 

Also, I never mentioned anything about exploits, but interesting information, and I"ll be looking forward to the outcome of your investigation.

As I suggested above, maybe a way to counter the exploiting you speak of, is to reduce weight per smelt, maybe 50%? 50% adds up pretty quickly. :) 

It still does not justify lack of ability on the team side to predict consequences of changes. Nothing worse than a programmer whining your are not using my code as I intended to be used. Seriously you need to work on that. It's annoying and drives players away. Look at the mess with personal goals? How hard was to predict that everyone was gonna start rolling alts to win as much time as they can and put 3 month restrictions from begging, how hard was to notice that mining 99ql gem as silver goal is insane? Whar to report here,  you have mechanic to increase  creation ql, you have mechanic to smelt things, how the  hell someone know what you itended with it?You can't organize witch hunts to cover bad design. People don't want to pay  to live under inquisition, and don't wanna see their time wasted. So less investigating and more effort put into game design...

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this