Sign in to follow this  
Enlightened_One

Does dirt decay?

Hey, all.  I noticed that sand left in a pile will slowly take damage, and be completely destroyed in less than a week real time.  Does dirt take similar damage if left in a pile?  Some of my dirt piles have not taken damage, but others have.  Does the surface the piles are on make a difference?  Example: decay if pile is on dirt or grass tile, but no decay if on cobblestone tile?

Also, will dirt decay inside of bsb's?  I will be storing dirt in bsb's for sale to other players, and the dirt may be sitting inside them for weeks real time.  Will they take damage and disappear?  Thanks.

Items in BSBs will not decay. However there is a 5% tax (every 30 days iirc) if that BSB is stored off deed. 

Outside of a BSB / FSB, or magic chests basically everything will decay, and there is some RNG to the damage ticks I think. 

There are some exceptions, like decorations items in deed do not decay, for example. 

Great. Thanks.  I'll be planting my bsb's on a small settlement of my own just outside of Glasshollow, so no decay then, and no taxes either.  Awesome!

Edited by Enlightened_One

Deed has to have at least a month of upkeep to avoid the 5% tax.

Huge items like logs, shards and sand/dirt is best stored in crates as you can not fit very many in a bsb.

(max 853 dirt for example, way fewer logs)

Make crate racks to store the crates you can fit 30 large in one rack.

Edited by Cecci
  • Like 1

Awesome, thanks.  Yeah, I'll be storing thousands of dirts, so crates are the way to go.  Thanks.

Edited by Enlightened_One

17 hours ago, Enlightened_One said:

Awesome, thanks.  Yeah, I'll be storing thousands of dirts, so crates are the way to go.  Thanks.

MMM no. A large crate will only hold 300 dirt whereas a bulk bin will hold 853, as well as the same amount of shards and sand. Guess Cecci missed it up a little there. For some items a large crate will hold more due to the item volume each, such as logs, slabs, support beams and maybe a few other things. Over time you will notice this and use the best container for unusual items by volume weight.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

A crate rack will hold 30 of those crates, though. That's 9000 dirt. You won't get that with volume-based bulk storage like a BSB or bulk container unit. Crates are also more portable.

• Like 1