Sign in to follow this  
Enlightened_One

Proposed canal - one entrance open already

THEX6AA.jpg

Hey, all. Just wanted to let everyone know about a canal that was started by someone but seems to have been abandoned.  It's at a very important location right in the middle portion of Xanadu that would save people a lot of time sailing to the eastern sea (green lines).  It's a great location because there's another canal just west of it (in teal colour), so sailing from the map's western edge to the eastern edge would be smooth.

The western entrance is already open (there are 3 mine entrances; the canal entrance is the furthest of the 3 to the south).  I don't know how deep it goes, but I'd say it is about 10% dug out already.  And there's a furnace in there already, with a bsb and a large anvil for people to use.

On the map I drew in green what a reasonable canal path could look like.  But I haven't explored the eastern end, so I don't know if it opens easily to a rockface or not.  I'm going to continue the work on it in a month or so, once I get my settlement established (I'm where the "X" is).

If anyone is looking for a community project, this canal seems like it would be very useful.  And it's very short too.  Very short compared to other canals.

Edited by Enlightened_One
  • Like 2

It looks like the old Fragile Lake area. We did months of work on that.  It was 3 tiles wide at one point.  And we did the surface canal also. Before we moved back to Pristine. 

Looks like you found it. It was 3 tiles wide, 5 tiles at the eastern end. Eastern half had the ceiling mined to maximum height and veins mined out, both ends had the external tiles prepared for opening exits at the proper depth.

Last time I was there about a month ago the eastern entrance had collapsed but I know where it was. I guess it was about 60% completed not 10%.

so the entrance could easily be reopened. was the east side mined in far enough to the point where the tunnel would need to turn?

From the east side it went directly west about 300 tiles, then had to turn because of a deed north west about 100 tiles then west around 100 tiles.

It would sure be great if a group of us could rework it.  It would make a vital link in the canal network.  If someone who knows about these things wants to take charge and organize our efforts, I'd be glad to lend a hand.

I could even grow pumpkins on my settlement at the western entrance and sell them to the workers at a fair price so they wouldn't have to interrupt their mining to go looking for food.

Been a few months since I was there last - the eastern entrance is easy to locate, there is path to the cart entrance, and the boat entrance is right alongside. I seem to remember somebody had lava'ed one of the support beams - in preparation of widening the entrance to two tiles?

Fragile just disbanded recently which was on the eastern side.  2 of the houses are up by will fall soon.  I have a newb there but the spiders scare her ?

Just popped over there - the eastern entrance had already been reopened. Looks to have been a lot of collapse along the diagonal section, but it goes though to the southern of the western entrances. I prospected some of the iron veins in the eastern section, and dropped named colossus bricks by them.

Aside from a few tiles that have collapsed the eastern section looks in quite good condition, though it will need widening, around that source spring building that is in the middle of the tunnel.

8 hours ago, Ohana said:

I have a newb there but the spiders scare her ? 

Only saw the three spiders there, they kindly donated their eyes to the current road project. I guess the others got bored and moved off. And there was no sign of the Champion Troll that was in the area.

I did some work on the eastern entrance a few weeks ago.

The lava did not seem to cool down, so I collapsed a few tiles and surfacemined it down, and then moved the entrance back a couple of tiles.

I was able to mine out one of the 3 opening tiles, but the other 2 gave the 'Unstable...' message, have not tried again after the last server restart.

Still the same after today's restart...

From inside I get "The cave walls look very unstable. You cannot keep mining here.", and tunnelling in from outside gives "The ground sounds strangely hollow and brittle. You have to abandon the mining operation."

I suspect that is has something to do with the Lava we put down. I can't remember what tiles we did there was lava on the inside at one time.  

It might take a ticket and a GM to figure out what is wrong.

I live on this lake and am familiar with this tunnel so if you need help just say the word.

Awesome, Ajala.  I need a little more time to make a proper mapping of the tunnel, as I have not been able to explore it all just yet.  There seem to be two parallel tunnels with a thin wall in between them.  Of the 3 entrances on the west end, 2 lead into one of the tunnels, while the 3rd entrance leads to its own tunnel.  I haven't ventured deep enough to see if they merge at some point, or how far they actually go.

Also, parts are still caving in.  The furnace in the 3rd tunnel used to be easily accessible, but in the last week a tile just plum dropped right out of the ceiling partially blocking the furnace.  Reinforcing the walls would be one of the early priorities.  But we need to make sure we have the right angles and such before reinforcing anything.

I'm going to do some indepth exploring to find out if the two tunnels merge at some point, or which of them is the longest and continue pushing forward in it.  I'll try to make a spreadsheet to map the tunnels by counting tiles, but it might take me a month or two before I can get around to it.  I'm still trying to set up a small business to earn the silver needed for my account.

When my mapping is done I'll post it in the forum so we can all take a look at what needs to be done.  Then anyone who wants to work on any section of it would have a clearer idea of what needs to be done and where.  I'll keep everyone posted.

I started mapping the southern tunnel which is accessed through the southern-most of the 3 mine entrances, as this seems to be the one that was worked the most.  There is another tunnel which is accessed by both of the northern entrances which I will explore later.

This is what I have so far.  It doesn't run along the route that I originally thought when I made the first pic at the top of this post.  But I will leave that first shot as a reference for finding the tunnel.

So far it is all on dry ground, so carts can wander through without a problem.  Iron mines are noted in red, mine entrances in black, and open space is in yellow.  So far all tiles are in precise measurement, so the iron mines are exactly where they are depicted.  There is also some sandstone and rocksalt that I have seen, but only 2 or so blocks of each.  The horizontal and vertical lines are tile markers in 10's, with the longer lines marking 50's.

I will periodically add to the map over the coming days and weeks.

OYV4YCJ.jpg