Sign in to follow this  
Hypatia

Useless Unicorns

I really appreciate that unicorns are more common now, however they are still pretty useless.  It would be nice if they were like hell horses.  I don't particularly like the look of hell horses, but use/breed them anyway for speed.  I'd much rather use unicorns to pull my carts.

And I'm not sure why they are so difficult to use since they have no special or magical properties other than being "unicorn"?.  If they are faster to ride or pull a cart...who cares since hell horses are too and are easier to obtain and breed.  And you don't have to have multiple people keeping them in a tamed state just to pull a simple cart.  (It would actually make more sense for hell horses to be this difficult, IMO.)

The way I see it, they should either have special unique properties (they don't even have their own "meat" name and the horns get merged with every other common horn) and be rare, OR be more common and behave like hell horses. (Leadable/breedable without taming...names would be nice too).  They would still be a special tame for riding, but can be hitched to a cart without taming.  Make them aggressive like hell horses, I don't care, just please give them a purpose other than "unicorn"?:P

• Like 3

They already have a "special" purpose as they are a two person mount.

• Like 2

Of course, they are too weak to carry two people at any reasonable speed -- but still!

2 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

They already have a "special" purpose as they are a two person mount.

Ok fair, I forgot about that, ....but I don't think this is very useful...

Unicorns do have a few special properties; they can carry two people, are faster than horses and keep their speed traits longer. They also require less taming and less body control than hell horses too.

they also have potency 5 horns

• Like 2

Honestly I think they are kitsch and ridiculous and hope that the spawns go way back down after the whole goals thing is over. Wasn't so bad when you'd occasionally see them or see them because someone breeds them, but they've never been my thing.  Some people are into that girly girl stuff, and that's fine. They're in the game and satisfy that population. I really wouldn't love to see them become super commonplace in the long term.

2 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Unicorns do have a few special properties; they can carry two people, are faster than horses and keep their speed traits longer. They also require less taming and less body control than hell horses too.

they also have potency 5 horns

Thank you yes...but still not enough.  Their are easier ways to get 5 potency items, and less taming and BC than hh's...It's still pretty high and that's fine, but taming them to ride isn't as useful as a cart.  Riding a tamed mount seems risky and not worth it to me...I'd rather a fast horse with good enchanted gear, no? 

I'd really like to breed unicorns but right now don't see much demand for, or point to them.

yeah unicorns only give useless horns, hides, meat, eyeballs, etc

don't forget about all those useless fighting skills

7 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

Honestly I think they are kitsch and ridiculous and hope that the spawns go way back down after the whole goals thing is over. Wasn't so bad when you'd occasionally see them or see them because someone breeds them, but they've never been my thing.  Some people are into that girly girl stuff, and that's fine. They're in the game and satisfy that population. I really wouldn't love to see them become super commonplace in the long term.

How is a beast with a sharp horn "girly girl"?  (not that there is anything wrong with that anyway)   I personally don't care for the current pop culture idea of "unicorn"? but love the mythology of the creature in all it's forms (non-horse usually, and often aggressive).  I doubt I'm alone.  :)

Also, if they were there for the "girly-girl" population (whatever that is....I've always liked a healthy dose of masculine and feminine stuff...toys, hobbies...) then why are they so useless? Why can't we "girly-girls" breed them with purpose to draw our carriages? :P

Edited by Hypatia
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hypatia said:

How is a beast with a sharp horn "girly girl"?  (not that there is anything wrong with that anyway)   I personally don't care for the current pop culture idea of "unicorn"? but love the mythology of the creature in all it's forms (non-horse usually, and often aggressive).  I doubt I'm alone.  :)

Also, if they were there for the "girly-girl" population (whatever that is....I've always liked a healthy dose of masculine and feminine stuff...toys, hobbies...) then why are they so useless? Why can't we "girly-girls" breed them with purpose to draw our carriages? :P

Fine, if you're all about the mythology, then that's exactly why you can't have them draw your carriage. They're far too noble to be relegated to such a menial task for those unworthy.

If you're going to give it an ability, let it occasionally heal the rider if the rider is a female.

7 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

yeah unicorns only give useless horns, hides, meat, eyeballs, etc

don't forget about all those useless fighting skills

Yes, you can use  them for extra fighting skills.  So what?  Then they are dead, then what. (Unless you are breeding them to kill, but that's a lot of trouble for little payoff. ) Not enough reason to make them so useless otherwise.  Personally I'd rather not use them for this purpose.  I want them to pull my cart.  I can do it.  I have two premium characters who can each tame one, but it seems like a lot of trouble for relatively little payoff.  If they at least stayed hitched after becoming untamed, but no I run the risk of losing one if I use them in an open area.

Ok, then don't bother about them.

The spawn rate will go down again when people have finished their goals to kill 100 each.

2 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

Fine, if you're all about the mythology, then that's exactly why you can't have them draw your carriage. They're far too noble to be relegated to such a menial task for those unworthy.

If you're going to give it an ability, let it occasionally heal the rider if the rider is a female.

Yes, give them this ability to heal, that makes sense!  That is exactly what I'm saying! :)  But don't tell me they are too "noble" to pull a cart when they can already be used to pull a cart...and shod....and wear tack.  If they can do these things at all why not make it more user friendly, is all I'm saying.  I'd be fine with all of it being taken away and unicorns being made "actually" special through some myth related special properties.  I'm honestly not sure why this seems to make everyone so upset. :)

4 minutes ago, Hypatia said:

Yes, give them this ability to heal, that makes sense!  That is exactly what I'm saying! :)  But don't tell me they are too "noble" to pull a cart when they can already be used to pull a cart...and shod....and wear tack.  If they can do these things at all why not make it more user friendly, is all I'm saying.  I'd be fine with all of it being taken away and unicorns being made "actually" special through some myth related special properties.  I'm honestly not sure why this seems to make everyone so upset. :)

Because in a game that goes out of it's way to maintain a level of immersion, commonplace mythological creatures lose any kind of delegation of being "special" and become rather jarring.

I'll just close by saying, please god, no.

Edited by Seriphina
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cecci said:

Ok, then don't bother about them.

The spawn rate will go down again when people have finished their goals to kill 100 each.

Why do you care?  I'm making a suggestion because I have them and just wish I could use them for something other than lawn ornaments. What difference does it make to you if they have more purpose? :P

4 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

Because in a game that goes out of it's way to maintain a level of immersion, commonplace mythological creatures lose any kind of delegation of being "special" and become rather jarring.

But they already have?  It's harder to use them this way but totally possible.  Just more effort over value currently.  This doesn't make them special in my view.  Just annoying.

As I said, I'd be fine if they were untamable, wild, "special" things.  But if they can pull a cart (which doesn't offend me in the least either) then make it more worthwhile. :)

Edited by Hypatia

I remember some years ago when Unicorns use to spawn like crazy around my deed. Colored ones too. Yeah, they did seem to be unusually good for raising fighting skills in contrast to other animals but there seemed to be too many of them around, displacing other spawns. Hopefully it won't turn into that situation again.

As for their taming difficulty and restrictions, I guess it's more their mythical status that influenced *someone* to place these deterrents to the common Wurmanites abilities upon them. Not meaning to horn in on this topic though...

=Ayes= 

Anyway, I don't expect to be listened to, but I figured I should say something just in case others felt the same...instead of just privately feeling frustrated and wishing things were different.  At least I now know where the community stands on unicorns, and that's totally fine.  I don't care how any of you personally feel about them.  I just wanted to see if any others felt the same as I do.  That would count for something.  But instead...people seemed to lash out, and it's generally pointless and unhelpful.  But hopefully the suggestions get back to the devs regardless, and that's all I really care about, in the end...  Then I feel like I've done "something", even if it's the smallest sliver of hope. 

In the meantime, I'll keep using my geared up horses and hellies and that's fine too....

1 hour ago, Hypatia said:

Yes, you can use  them for extra fighting skills.  So what?  Then they are dead, then what. (Unless you are breeding them to kill, but that's a lot of trouble for little payoff. ) Not enough reason to make them so useless otherwise.  Personally I'd rather not use them for this purpose.  I want them to pull my cart.  I can do it.  I have two premium characters who can each tame one, but it seems like a lot of trouble for relatively little payoff.  If they at least stayed hitched after becoming untamed, but no I run the risk of losing one if I use them in an open area.

get gud

those are excellent source for weapon skills plus once butchered tons of products from those as well

40 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

get gud

those are excellent source for weapon skills plus once butchered tons of products from those as well

I think the point is that unicorns are impractical to use as horses, harder so than hellies, which seems odd, since hellies are just better.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

get gud

Yeah totally!  And I'll admit unicorns aren't actually useless.  Not really.  But it seems they don't have much to offer that makes them much more special than other creatures or as useful as other similar creatures.  As for butchering, I think they should at least have their own named meat...maybe their parts should have special unique magic properties or unique uses for alchemy.  Otherwise all they have to offer, when butchered, is pretty much the same as a cow or sheep, in the end (other than the high potency horn, of course...)  

I guess that's what bothers me most about the unicorn, presently.  They are neither sacred and special, nor practical and as useful as beasts of burden.  They are kind of in the middle.  Almost useful but more of a bother...  But not really that special either.  Great for hunting and maybe with them being more common that will be a good thing.  But I don't know.  Is that their only useful purpose?  Fight skill fodder?  I'd just like to see them do more.  More magic, less practical use or more practical, less magical...not this middle area that makes them kind of boring.  Again, my opinion, just looking to see if anyone feels the same, in the community or on the dev team.

I already see unicorns as useful, since they are a step between horses and hell horses in terms of both body control and speed, but leading without taming would be great if we're going to add anything to them :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Attenia said:

I already see unicorns as useful, since they are a step between horses and hell horses in terms of both body control and speed, but leading without taming would be great if we're going to add anything to them :)

I agree, this alone would make them so less frustrating to handle.  :) 

I always go to breed/move them then remember I need taming food, after I'm standing in front of them.  Just a little quality of life issue.  I suppose I could keep feed by their pens, but still...  I'm working on my taming skill and burn through taming food fast.  Plus they attack me more than not... :P ...so I have to back off, wait for them to calm and try again.  It's also frustrating with animals you have had a long time to have to keep taming them as if they are wild...but that's another issue...

Edited by Hypatia

1 hour ago, Hypatia said:

parts should have special unique magic properties or unique uses for alchemy. 

the horns are the best alchemy items

Edited by JakeRivers