Sign in to follow this  
Kelody

Can't Reload Unlocked Cages from Deed

Unlocked cages unloaded onto a deed can't be pushed or loaded. I was standing off deed when I unloaded them, but they landed in front of me, on deed. The deed owner was unable to push or load them either. Only after giving me deed permissions to load/push them was I able to get them off deed and locked, so I could then change owner. I probably could have left and things would have resolved eventually, but it didn't seem right to sail away with money leaving him to deal with the issue. Making a team didn't help either.

Also, cage ownership reverted to ship captain when server changed after I had specifically set a different character before departing.

Locked creature crates cannot be loaded back either.

I was wondering it it was kinda normal that they depend of 'load' deed permission, like any crates, but it is not the same because they're locked: locked or lockable portable objects have ownership, one would expect the owner to be able to take their stuff off a foreign deed, no matter the deed perms. Just like you don't need "push" or "drag" to push or drag your vehicle off a foreign deed.

There's no warning and no time to realize you're blocked with the creature crate. In one scenario, I had 'unload' on a deed, but not load; I unloaded instantly on deed, no warning appears anymore about not being able to load (like it used to do for regular crates back when load/unload weren't instant), and I wasn't able to load my creature crate until the deed owner set 'load' permission for me. The creature crate was created by me and locked by default.

I think it would save us some trouble if the behavior was to allow the creature crate owner (where such exists) to always 'load' their stuff. Also, where the game knows the owner, it would be useful and perhaps more consistent to say it in examine message.

7 hours ago, Kelody said:

Also, cage ownership reverted to ship captain when server changed after I had specifically set a different character before departing.

Were you alone or was the former crate owner a passenger?

Edited by Anarres

On a server, I transfered ownership of a loaded creature cage, to an alt not online. I instantly lost perms, as expected, though I could still the creature as the cage was open in the ship. Crossed to the server where the alt was seen last; now I can't open the cage anymore, which is also expected.

I wonder what else you did to end up with ownership reverted.

I'm pretty sure ownership transferred to the captain of the ship because they were unlocked.

As for unloading, I did get an error they would not be re-loadable, but it was a flash on a 3 second timer, I had already unloaded 2 before I realized what the error was saying, and since they were owned, and I was trading them to the deed owner, I didn't think it'd be an issue. Overall, was very messy where the wagon I unloaded at the same time was straightforward transfer and go. I was even able to unload the animals from the cages.

Ah, I think the first is not a bug. When you unlock it gives you the lock, without it the item has no 'persistent' ownership anymore. Seems consistent.

You say however that the deed owner also couldn't load it. What error did they get?

We all got bad for karma error. I "owned" the cages, even without locks they have proximity ownership. I might have messed up the team, and not added all the people involved, as I hadn't realized the cages reverted in ownership. Still, I'm pretty sure if I drop something or unload a crate, I can pick it back up even without permissions as long as I don't leave the area