Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

More alloys!

Now that we have electrum, and with the new metal properties and shaders making it easier to add new alloys in general, why not suggest a few?

I'm mostly trying to think of ones that would add more uses to existing base metals, or that have a visually distinct look compared to what we already have.

Pewter_vase.jpgpewter-goblet-534177128-5b0218bb04d1cf00

Pewter:

• Constituents: Mostly tin, some lead.
  • Appearance: Variable shades of grey, darker with higher lead content.
  • Advantages:
    • Better jewelry smithing item prices than tin or lead
    • Possibly usable for statuettes and other gold/silver specific items
    • Slower decay and less damage than tin or lead
    • Good for bashing
    • Easy to work with (improve/repair/high creation QL)
    • Another use for lead is always appreciated!

Rose_Gold_Diamond_Engagement_Ring.jpgred-gold-movie-ring-set.70_6f05c9e7-2976

Rose gold:

• Constituents: 50-75% gold, 25-50% copper
  • Appearance: Pinkish/reddish gold
  • Advantages:
    • Distinct red/pink tinted gold appearance
    • Lets you stretch the amount of gold you have by mixing in copper, at the cost of some of gold's value/advantages
    • Usable for everything gold is used for
    • Less damage taken than pure gold

Got%C3%B4_Ichij%C3%B4_-_Fuchi_with_Hollypost-229-14196746164959.jpg

Shakudo/Corinthian Bronze:

• Constituents: Mostly copper, some (~10%) gold
  • Appearance: Very dark purplish patina
  • Advantages:
    • Very distinct near-black appearance
      • You know you're into that
        • don't even lie to me
    • Usable for relatively high-value jewelry without the need for much gold
    • Relatively easy to work with (improve/repair)
    • It looks neat, OK?
    • no additional questions allowed

I'll add more if I can think of any!

• Like 8

Good ideas- I especially like the Pewter idea- can also be made from Tin, Lead and Copper.

Add items in Corinthian Bronze to archaeology, and don't make it craftable.

*ducks from the ire*

Seriously +1 :)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Anarres said:

Add items in Corinthian Bronze to archaeology, and don't make it craftable.

*ducks from the ire*

Seriously +1 :)

Honestly, weird metals we can only find through archaeology wouldn't be that bad! Imagine piecing together an ancient pickaxe made from meteoric iron or something like that. We definitely could use more that are also craftable, though.

• Like 2

Tbh even with changes of metal I still tend to use just steel, iron and whatever I'm in mood for jewelry since it doesn't matter much, so not sure if there is point in adding more metals just for looks, although I admit those look great so +1 on that. Me personally would maybe like to see some alloys with moon metals as real high end for metallurgy that would have some crazy advantage...

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, kochinac said:

Tbh even with changes of metal I still tend to use just steel, iron and whatever I'm in mood for jewelry since it doesn't matter much, so not sure if there is point in adding more metals just for looks, although I admit those look great so +1 on that. Me personally would maybe like to see some alloys with moon metals as real high end for metallurgy that would have some crazy advantage...

Not sure they should be much better or any better than the noonmetals already are since you’d be able to stretch the rare metals further by mixing them with more common ones. Unless you’re talking mixing two moonmetals and not matching the end weight with the weight of the two pieces. 

1 hour ago, Xor said:

Not sure they should be much better or any better than the noonmetals already are since you’d be able to stretch the rare metals further by mixing them with more common ones. Unless you’re talking mixing two moonmetals and not matching the end weight with the weight of the two pieces. 

Yeah, but also count on number of fails and very much low random ql even with high skill, if difficulty is bigger than steel it's not simply adding weight... Was thinking of mixing seryll and addy but some combination with regular metals could be interesting I guess, or maybe mixing seryll and steel to get something like valirian steel, add some magic maybe in the process or alchemy for some sort of flux to give love to other skills too... Or add flux for already existing alloys to reduce fails and increase avg ql, just brainstorming, there is so much room for some love for metallurgy than just simply adding new alloys... Also there are pattern welded sort of alloys that are not really alloys like damascus steel and mokume gane that looks awesome, using different techniques you can achieve array of patterns from simple alternating lines to raindrop, star, twisted, etc.

• Like 1

Surprised "glass" hasn't came to WO yet.  Plenty of sand around.  Make me some glass wine bottles and glasses for wearing.  I know glass isn't an alloy though.

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 3

I was always a patron of changes that would enhance the game. +1 from me

Jimbean

Moonmetal alloys wouldn't necessarily have to be better than the moonmetals are, of course. You could have alloys that are mostly some base metal (or another alloy), with a bit of moonmetal thrown in, to stretch out your moonmetal supply.

Obviously, one way to make a metal really hard to create in high quality would be a two-step alloy process, for instance having to alloy adamantine with electrum or bronze.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

Please for the love of god add multi staged alloys with raised difficulty. My metallurgy needs this.

• Like 3

+1. more metals to play with is always good :)

My metallurgy skill cries out for more. YES +1.  

oh, and human mobs and human blood too on the side please. still waiting!

just please no lead poison or asbestos itchy lung stuff

Edited by MordosKull