very interesting update, we can rune horses now! Without further info I'm going to assume any rift mat will work with the new alloy for these runes, and hopefully will be testing that later today :) Looking forward to the new graphic update as well.

Hi guys and thanks for the updates!

Where exactly should be "textures normal maps" in adv. Graphics?

There is nothing new...

(my client update is done)

screenshot

Aaaaaah, i need to restart the client... ok ?

Edited by palmic

Underneath Texture Quality should be anohter line saying Use normal mapping, relog the launcher maybe?

Edited by Rhianna
  • Like 1

Welcome Sindusk.

Also good clean updates in this patch, electrum looks neat and no doubt will be tested by the Rustlemoar boys.

Loving those screenshots of the graphics update.

Great progress i have to say, by this moment i maxed my settings again and my graphic card is no longer having performance problems as before, it runs smoothly without any heating.

I have just note about terrain normal mapping, some materials seems to me too "metallish", especially packed dirt.

Packed dirt should not gloss at all. Marble and all the stones are nice however :)

Great graphical and placement content!

A solid *palm* you for another good potential spell being given to rune crafters.  Here is a suggestion; have the electrum vyn rune act like a 100 MS cast, the electrum Lib rune act like a 100 BOTD cast, and the electrum mag rune act like a 100 pain mirror cast, and the jackal rune act like a 100 LT cast; then you can eliminate enchanters entirely.

Edited by Etherdrifter

10 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

A solid *palm* you for another good potential spell being given to rune crafters.  Here is a suggestion; have the electrum vyn rune act like a 100 MS cast, the electrum Lib rune act like a 100 BOTD cast, and the electrum mag rune act like a 100 pain mirror cast, and the jackal rune act like a 100 LT cast; then you can eliminate enchanters entirely.

are you normally this whiny about new features just because they don't cater to you or is today a special day

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Great graphical and placement content!

Oh yes, god forbid something be available to the masses instead of being yet another source of income for the people who kill the economy by monetizing the game...

On 7/4/2018 at 6:37 PM, Retrograde said:

As we've discussed in the past, we're working on a major update and overhaul of graphics with the addition of normal and specular mapping, and the first pieces are ready to go live! 

Theses really are a nice addition. Brings back memories of spending time sitting in a boat on the test server, when the current renderer was first introduced, watching the shadows from the trees play across the water.

Is the curtain effects of shadows during looking to the sides at evenings in wurm is normal? Is there some fix for this?

2 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

are you normally this whiny about new features just because they don't cater to you or is today a special day

Nah, this is just me and runes; I've a long standing gripe with the system as a whole :P

• Like 1

Looks great - graphics guy(s). Just one question, why normal mapping and not straight into parallax mapping?

Just now, Inventor said:

parallax mapping

We've been experimenting with it some, support might come later :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saroman said:

We've been experimenting with it some, support might come later :)

Aww yiss, look forward to it.

Firstly I want to say, sweet new graphics! I look forward to maxing out the graphics and seeing it on my own monitor. 

Secondly, welcome Sindusk! Ill be looking for ya online to chat about game dynamics. 

And, I'm soo happy to see wurm online advancing for the better. We all, know of potential issues or gripes, but the devs are here now working on things. So here's a, big thank you to the devs and all staff! 

11 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I don't understand the complaint. There is very little overlap in what runes can do and what enchanting can do. Also, in the cases that they do overlap, they are not exclusive; an action speed rune does not make WoA obsolete, as they both can be applied.

Edited by LaRue
  • Like 1

I still have big problems with the lighting in Wurm with the "new" client. I have tested on two machines and both have the same problems. There are glitches when walking around, surfaces lights up or darkens as I walk or change the view angle. Especially sunsets are problematic, if I look at a house wall or sloped ground just turning my character slightly back and fort I can get the surface to go from fully lit by the sun to completely dark. Walking around in sunsets looks weird  because surfaces light up and goes dark seemingly random. 

I think somehow the dynamic lighting works well in some angles but breaks in other angles, so the sun rays are ignored or displayed depending on where you are standing. 

It's a bit hard to explain this in words.. but I can't believe I'm alone in having these problems? They almost make want the old client back, because it's super annoying. I have a Gefore GTX 770, is that too old for Wurm now?  

• Like 1

The lighting hasnt changed, it's the existing system, the works we showed are future planned works and not currently live. 

You're describing the issues we have with the existing system already, and our future plans will address that flickering

• Like 2

I like the new mapping and it brings a certain pop to otherwise flat looking textures but the one thing i've noticed with this update is that the beautiful blends between different tile types are now gone, and the contrast between different tiles is a bit stark. Is this something that is going to be addressed at some point?

1 hour ago, Asciana said:

I like the new mapping and it brings a certain pop to otherwise flat looking textures but the one thing i've noticed with this update is that the beautiful blends between different tile types are now gone, and the contrast between different tiles is a bit stark. Is this something that is going to be addressed at some point?

They are still in, what scenarios are you seeing it in?

Hey that's a good point. I thought I had tile transitions turned off, but it looks like the option isn't even there anymore? Examples:

e96f4198ec.png

e44896b50a.png

yep just double checked:

tile_transitions=true in the gamesettings.txt

Tile transitions are bound to Tile Detail option, it can't be on Very Sparse for them to show.

• Like 1

This game needs VR more than anything else, it would teleport it into EPIC!

6 hours ago, Samool said:

Tile transitions are bound to Tile Detail option, it can't be on Very Sparse for them to show.

It's set to Dense.