cCHcJOm.png

the gods watch over - User

Hi Everyone!

It's been a busy few weeks here at Wurm HQ, with quite a few projects underway as well as the launch of WU 1.7 with all that placement goodness. We have an update planned for tomorrow with the addition of normal mapping for new ground textures, and hopefully a little bit more, so let's jump in!

Looking normal

As we've discussed in the past, we're working on a major update and overhaul of graphics with the addition of normal and specular mapping, and the first pieces are ready to go live! 

Terrain is the first update, with many of the terrain textures updated, and normal and specular mapping added. It really changes the look and feel of the lands of wurm, as you can see below there are some major improvements:

kZRyTdd.png

ooRKiGb.jpg

5dFQ22p.png

Snow even looks good! (Now all you have to worry about are pesky colds, but they even come in summer)

V5b7haj.jpg

Next up, we'll begin working on housing, which will really bring out some much needed depth to walls and buildings, as you can see here of a WIP shot of the pottery brick walls
This is a rather large undertaking though, so it will take time to come to everything in the game, but the difference is definitely worth the wait! 

VhDYn0U.jpg

IrxfEhL.jpg

the terrain normal and specular will come in tomorrows update, but will be disabled by default, so if you want to check them out, make sure to enable normal maps on the advanced graphic settings tab once this goes live!

Sindusk Joins the Dev Team
A well established modder and server host, Sindusk, has taken the full plunge into madness by joining the Wurm dev team! In addition to running his own server, Revenant, he will be working with us in various tasks, starting with some work on bugs (seriously, lots of bugs fixed already) and looking at a few projects long desired. We're excited to have him on board and keen to see what he brings to the game!

Valrei Entertainment Network additions

pNsNcf2.png

This week sees the addition of two new members to the VEN program, Neferent and BrimstoneVomit!

Neferent streams his travels across Xanadu as he nearly dies to scorpions with crocodiles for shoes:

BrimstoneVomit streams his adventures on Wurm as he builds his deed and talks about his plans:

I'd like to welcome them both to the program, and look forward to watching more of their adventures!

On top of this, we have two more projects in the works, they may not go live tomorrow, pending whether we can iron out a few oddities, but they’re certainly things to get excited about! 

Item Placement 2.0

wrv90fa.png
Hot off the heels of the new placement mechanic comes the next update to it, adding a new range of surfaces that can hold items on them! The full list is below:

• large anvil
  • large barrel
  • tub
  • small barrel
  • stone altar
  • wood altar
  • silver altar
  • gold altar
  • coffin
  • well
  • large magic chest
  • small magic chest
  • oil barrel
  • wine barrel
  • coffer
  • alchemists cupboard
  • storage unit
  • small amphora
  • large amphora

The following surfaces will also heat any item placed on them: 

• Oven
  • Forge
  • Hota statue
  • Kiln
  • Smelter
  • Still

So be sure not to place any wooden items on them, or they will get burned up! 

New Metal Alloy: Electrum

hHMCkPl.png
Electrum is a new alloy made from gold and silver. It can be used to make all metal items as well as jewelry, bardings, and horse shoes. The full modifier list is below:

Armour

• .5% DR bonus
  • +2% glance rate bonus
  • -1% movement speed penalty

Weapon

• -2.5% attack speed
  • -1% damage dealt
  • +5% bonus to damage dealt to hunter mobs

General

• -10% damage taken
  • 9x trader price
  • -20% decay damage taken
  • +2.5% bonus to repairing
  • +7.5% bonus to pendulum area of effect
  • +10% bonus to bash damage
  • Can be used to make statuettes
  • Can be used to make unicorn shoes

With this alloy comes one other unique item: Electrum Rune of Fo. This rune can be used to reduce the age relative to their current age upon successful use. 

While this means creatures can be made younger, it cannot be used on Wurmians, so it looks like my wrinkles are here to stay. 

Community content, the Wurm Unlimited Tournament: Round 2
Grab a partner and head on over to Wurm Unlimited for the second round of Darklords’ Competitive League. This time, instead of a 3v3 fight, it’s 2v2 to make it easier for teams to coordinate. Another change is the implementation of DUSKombat , a new combat mod designed for Wurm Unlimited, which drastically changes the way combat works.

There is a 2 gold prize pool for Darklords’ tournament, with 1 gold for the winning team, 50 silver for 2nd place, and 25 silver each for 3rd and 4th. Signups for the tournament are open until Friday, so hurry up and form your teams now! 

That's it from us this week, we'll be busy with all these changes and more over the coming weeks, so be sure to stick around and check it out. Until then though, keep on wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 32

Woohoo electrum! Woohooooo pretty terrain textures!
Welcome to the team, Sindusk!

• Like 2

I'm gonna have to sneakplay at Pingvinens computer when he is a work!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

This week sees the addition of two new members to the VEN program, Neferent and BrimstoneVomit!

One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us!

Hey everyone. Depending on what position you come from, it's very likely that you'll have a different opinion on me being a developer for Wurm Online. I'd like to help clarify where I stand from every perspective.

Wurm Online Players

In the case you've heard of me, it's likely due to my WU mods or you know about my Wurm Unlimited servers Wyvern (Reborn) and Revenant. My servers run with a vast amount of modding and changes to the game, and it's reasonable to assume that I'd have an agenda to push Wurm Online towards how they function. However, that's not the case. My goal with my servers is heavily gameplay-centric, focused on content that is challenging and rewarding. Wurm Online is much more simulation-centric, focusing on realism and depth. I understand the difference between the two and you're not going to wake up and see Wurm Online all of a sudden become a copy of Revenant. My goals are to improve the existing Wurm Online experience. Long term, I'd like to dive into the combat, spell, and pvp systems of Wurm. This more closely resembles the gameplay-centric paradigm that my servers follow. However, to start, I'll be working on fixing some longstanding bugs that affect both Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited players that have been bothersome for years.

Wurm Unlimited Server Owners

Much of the Wurm Unlimited community will know me for my mods. I've created ServerTweaks, Armoury, and Spellcraft. These mods are heavily used on several servers. It's not farfetched to think I would prioritize Wurm Online development over the modding community and abandon these mods. I'd like to think of this as an opportunity of the opposite. I'll continue suporting my public mods on Wurm Unlimited. Furthermore, I'll try making changes to the existing codebase that makes modding easier throughout several aspects of the game, opening up new options for server owners. Minor adjustments like improving client/server network communications to give more options make a world of difference. When modders have less limitations imposed on them by the technical details of the game, that's when you begin to see the best ideas spring to life.

Wyvern Reborn/Revenant Players

Most important to address is the existing playerbase on my servers. I have no doubt that there's some apprehension thinking that Revenant will no longer see new mods or content because I'm now spending time working on Wurm Online. That's a fair judgement, and it's not entirely wrong. I'll be slowing down slightly on Revenant due to Wurm Online development. However, what I work on in Wurm Online eventually leads to Wurm Unlimited and thus to my servers. I'll continue supporting Revenant and making mods for ideas I have that wouldn't fit in Wurm Online. I'm not going anywhere, and you'll still see me active in our Discord and responding to your PM's just like before.

All that said, I'm looking forward to being more directly involved with Wurm Online and intend to put my best foot forward to make the progress you've all been waiting for.

• Like 24

Ooh, Electrum. Does that mean other Electrum runes from Archaeology? Electrum rune of The Scavenger?! Can't wait to find out. Very exciting stuff!

Ha! My previous comments about new alloys now being easier to introduce have turned out to be somewhat prophetic.

Also, that new snow looks great!

Beautiful - cant wait for the updates!!

@SinduskI'm happy to see you in the dev team! Your forum badge told the story a few days early :P

I'm really excited about the graphics improvements too - I hope my graphics card that is glued together from cardboard will be able to get up to speed...

Can we please coat wooden items with electrum to make them heatproof on top of the forges?

...I see more baby seals being clubbed for their hide...

Disclaimer - my very subjective opinions follow...

I'm just checking the new surfaces on test, cobblestone and rough cobblestone are really amazing.

The large flattish rockfaces seem to be too homogenous -but only in certain lights and places (the surface repeats very visibly) - like at the cage test area.

Sand is a bit to the contrary, maybe would look better if "made" from smaller particles.

Overall this will be a great visual upgrade!

BTW my crap graphics card has no issues yet - though I understand many surfaces are unchanged for now.

Great job on those textures, dev team! It looks like the heavily feared snow blindness will be cured with this! I am excited to see winter this time around. Jury's still out, but I have faith it will be mindblowing. 

Props, my dudes.

I'm on a laptop right now and I reaaally hope this will be well optimized, I LOVE the way it looks though, hope there will be some option to turn it off if it's too laggy.

And I really like the sound of that new alloy! very nice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Hey everyone. Depending on what position you come from, it's very likely that you'll have a different opinion on me being a developer for Wurm Online. I'd like to help clarify where I stand from every perspective.

Wurm Online Players

In the case you've heard of me, it's likely due to my WU mods or you know about my Wurm Unlimited servers Wyvern (Reborn) and Revenant. My servers run with a vast amount of modding and changes to the game, and it's reasonable to assume that I'd have an agenda to push Wurm Online towards how they function. However, that's not the case. My goal with my servers is heavily gameplay-centric, focused on content that is challenging and rewarding. Wurm Online is much more simulation-centric, focusing on realism and depth. I understand the difference between the two and you're not going to wake up and see Wurm Online all of a sudden become a copy of Revenant. My goals are to improve the existing Wurm Online experience. Long term, I'd like to dive into the combat, spell, and pvp systems of Wurm. This more closely resembles the gameplay-centric paradigm that my servers follow. However, to start, I'll be working on fixing some longstanding bugs that affect both Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited players that have been bothersome for years.

Wurm Unlimited Server Owners

Much of the Wurm Unlimited community will know me for my mods. I've created ServerTweaks, Armoury, and Spellcraft. These mods are heavily used on several servers. It's not farfetched to think I would prioritize Wurm Online development over the modding community and abandon these mods. I'd like to think of this as an opportunity of the opposite. I'll continue suporting my public mods on Wurm Unlimited. Furthermore, I'll try making changes to the existing codebase that makes modding easier throughout several aspects of the game, opening up new options for server owners. Minor adjustments like improving client/server network communications to give more options make a world of difference. When modders have less limitations imposed on them by the technical details of the game, that's when you begin to see the best ideas spring to life.

Wyvern Reborn/Revenant Players

Most important to address is the existing playerbase on my servers. I have no doubt that there's some apprehension thinking that Revenant will no longer see new mods or content because I'm now spending time working on Wurm Online. That's a fair judgement, and it's not entirely wrong. I'll be slowing down slightly on Revenant due to Wurm Online development. However, what I work on in Wurm Online eventually leads to Wurm Unlimited and thus to my servers. I'll continue supporting Revenant and making mods for ideas I have that wouldn't fit in Wurm Online. I'm not going anywhere, and you'll still see me active in our Discord and responding to your PM's just like before.

All that said, I'm looking forward to being more directly involved with Wurm Online and intend to put my best foot forward to make the progress you've all been waiting for.

I'm happy to see you join the team, i always thought you were an insanely hard worker for your mods and servers i think your productivity levels might be just what wo needs atm especially for the pvp side of things. It's good to see someone who has some idea of how pvp works make it on the dev team, hopefully you'll be able to do cool things.

12 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Hot off the heels of the new placement mechanic comes the next update to it, adding a new range of surfaces that can hold items on them! The full list is below:

• large anvil
  • large barrel
  • tub
  • small barrel
  • stone altar
  • wood altar
  • silver altar
  • gold altar
  • coffin
  • well
  • large magic chest
  • small magic chest
  • oil barrel
  • wine barrel
  • coffer
  • alchemists cupboard
  • storage unit
  • small amphora
  • large amphora

So we will be able to balance things on top of an amphora, but can't place items on a nice flat cupboard? I feel like you've overlooked stuff.

The textures are beautiful and I can't wait to see them in my game.

Edited by Seriphina
  • Like 3

that is awsome, i may have to trade in my gold armor for some electrum. i wonder what takes effect for Ql or dos it average out.

I'm really looking forward to the new mechanics on the combat system. I know it won't be coming to fast, but it'll be worth the wait.

1 hour ago, Wiolo said:

I'm on a laptop right now and I reaaally hope this will be well optimized, I LOVE the way it looks though, hope there will be some option to turn it off if it's too laggy.

This. It seems the prettier Wurm gets, the harsher it gets on old hardware (IE: I can't even dual client anymore (me and my alt) because my FPS tanks for both chars, when in the past I could). I hope for optimization.

Edited by Benie
  • Like 2

@SinduskSeriously brings excitement to the PvP community.  So glad you joined the team and have a PvP background too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Terrain is the first update, with many of the terrain textures updated, and normal and specular mapping added. It really changes the look and feel of the lands of wurm, as you can see below there are some major improvements

This looks pretty impressive per the screen shots provided. No doubt it will take some time to become accustomed to though. The Wurm environment and landscapes have always been the most appealing features of the game to me so hopefully this will be a nice enhancement to them. Change in these respects is always a bit unsettling at the start.

Cool to see more WU type placement options being added. Also, a great choice to add Sindusk to the development team, as his work with WU has been very impressive.

=Ayes=

sindusk

the man, the myth, the legend

glad you made it

• Like 1