Sign in to follow this  
Benie

5-speed Bison going 'wild' speed (13.67km/h) after grooming

So I think I 'discovered' a bug (that I think someone semi-directly warned me about, but didn't tell me what the bug was about).
I'd be logging in after waiting for Sol to rise, and groom my bison. Since they're 5-speed (and I make sure they're well fed), I expect them to go their top speed of 18.73km/h. Instead, I'm seeing 13.67km/h (much like hitched wild animals would do).
This seems to last for up to (guesstimating) 30 seconds to a minute, then suddenly they're back at 18.73km/h. This even happens when loading certain things into the wagon.

Just asking, if this is a known bug. And if it is, is there a way to work around it?

Edited by Benie

What certain things are loaded into the wagon? 

Creature speeds arent always in effect, much like horses where the traits kick in at times and not at others,  it may be happening here too

Well when I was first testing, it was just a few barrels full of water. I went from my deed to Tap Dance (which is quite a distance), and they closely maintained their speed of 18.78km/h (on flat terrain) for the entire trip. At least, nothing like the fluctuations with horse speed.
Made it to Tap Dance, groomed the bison, reboarded, and they were going 13.67km/h. I waited for up a minute, and they finally went back to their top speed.
A few days ago, I was also told (over and over) in CA HELP and Global Kchat, that the weight of the wagon (or a large cart) has no effect on the speed. That I can have a full wagon and the bison "wouldn't care".

Back home, I tried loading my forge and a few other heavy things. Again, the bison went 13.67 for about a minute, then went back up to top speed. So, it's not just grooming that's causing it.
I have yet to test if they would continue to stay at 13.67 past a minute, if the player doesn't stop and wait for the game to realize that these are 5-speeds and need to be running faster.

Edited by Benie

It takes up to a few minutes for the lightning movement trait to kick in.  Once it does, you'll go full speed for the duration that you are mounted on the wagon as commander.  If you get off the cart, they have to "ramp up" again.

Ok, but let me explain this. When I was testing my two 5-speed ven horses pulling a large cart (before I got bison), the only reason it dropped to the 'wild' speed, was when one of them was hungry.
And even that, I only had to wait for maybe up to 10 seconds for them to get going again.
So, I don't understand why you say I have to wait minutes for bison, when they're already well fed.
It just feels like a bug to me.

For the second thing you said, as for my findings, this doesn't happen like that. It only happens when I groom them, or load a certain something in the wagon (and/or maybe unload, haven't tested that yet). Also, when I had loaded my forge, I never once disembarked to do it (as you have to be in the vehicle to load).
See, I tried to relog (as I was getting intermittent freezing due to outdated hardware), and I was getting those server connect issues. I came back and embarked as commander (didn't groom them or add/remove anything from the wagon), and immediately they were going top speed (and I was off for up to 10 minutes).

So maybe this isn't a bug, but just an annoying 'Wogic' quirk that I'll have to deal with. Though I would like to see others tests, and see if this isn't just me.

EDIT: More testing has shown, the more stuff I put in the wagon, the longer the bison take until reaching top speed. The wagon is pretty much at capacity now, and they're taking upwards of three minutes. This is without grooming them.

Edited by Benie