Sign in to follow this  
Kelody

Help Connecting to Major Highway Network.

I'm trying to plan a connection to the major highway network that connects about 2/3 of Indy. I live in the south, along Crystal Canal. There are roads leading north that work, and I'll fix the tunnel and lay catseyes up to it. I need help getting connected at Albia Crystal. From the Silver mountain Tunnel to Albia Crystal are 3 deeds and a winding network of 1 and 2 lane roads (and some clay). I don't know the owners of these deeds, or if they are active. First deed is the entrance to Oriental Canal, I believe Lordlouis runs this. The second deed is Crystal City, it's back from the coast, so not directly in the way, but blocks an alternate route. The last deed/area is named Crazybill's. I'm not sure if that's the players name, or just the deed name.

If anyone owns these locations, or knows these owners, could you contact them. I only need help getting the road section about 100-200 tiles south from Albia Crystal and I can finish from there, both to Crystal Canal/Bearshark Bay area, and The small highway in the SE steppe along Elysian Bay.

A person who knows all those people  is Schiann, owner of Oak Harbour, so I would start by sending her as PM. She was active on the fourm today so she should be possible to contact. I am thinking Dadd owned Crystal City? And that Crazybill is a (former?) player. But Schiann was there from the start and knows everyone who ever lived out there in the 2010-2018 time frame.  Just a note -- back when I lived in that area, many many years ago, many of the people had moved there expressly for privacy and were not very keen about highway projects. I don;t know if that has changed now that Indy is no longer as overcrowded as it was back then.   If I were still out there (I owned Brash End, which was the area where Albia Crystal is today), I would be asking you, "Please Don't."  But that was years and years ago,  I have no idea how the area feels today and they might very well be encouraging and welcoming of such a project.   Maybe.  

Albiia Crystal is HughMongus's deed, so contact him too, https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/profile/6872-hughmongus/

He does the mapping of Indy and probably knows all the property owners out there who are still active. He would probably welcome such a project and could be a huge help to you.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

The highway already extends south of Albia Crystal. I have spoken some to them about the challenges ahead.

So you spoke to Dadd, Schiann and Hugh Mongous already ... I don;t have any other ideas then if they were not able to help.

Gud'morning folks!   Monday, July 2nd, 2018 @ 16:16 GMT

Current state of affairs on the east and south east sides of Crystal Lake.

The CE (Cats Eyes) Hwy network currently extends uninterrupted east from FM to the north side of Albia Crystal.  My thanks to Zorkao, Finndar, Gumbo and others for connecting FM thru to the east side of Crystal Lake.  I was happy to host the eastern terminus of the CE network.

I have spoken with Schiann and asked her to please consider her putting CE's across that Lovely highway bridge she built over the surface canal into her deed.  To assist her when she is ready, I have made 63 Cats Eyes for Schiann, to link the CE Hwys that terminate on her north and south borders.  They are in storage at Albia Crystal awaiting her decision.

The deed owner of Ram Ranch on the north side of the Silver Mtn Hwy Road Tunnel is on board with having a CE Hwy thru his deed.  He has given me permission to plant them on deed, with way stone, so he can link into the Wagoner delivery system.  He also wants to "twin" (make two lanes wide, with reinforcing) the Silver Mtn Hwy road tunnel.

The owner of the deed protecting the west end of the Orient Express is 79 days afk for RL reasons.  I am currently discussing options with the folks who live in that area.

At this time, at the request folks who live on the Eastern Plain Hwy (which starts at Albia Crystal and run to the east), we are NOT putting CE's on the East Plains Highway, as they have redesign plans for that main artery.

So please folks NO CE's on the East Plains Highway for now, thank you.

Food for thought,

Cheers! Hughmongus

I have already started working on the Silver Mountain Tunnel.

I have removed 1 of the poor iron veins, I am going to see if i can climb high enough to erupt the lowest one, removing it. The last one still has 5000+ iron to remove, and there is an utmost iron with around 4000(guess). Once the vein's are gone, I will drop a deed and modify the southern tunnel entrance to 2 wide. After that it's just a matter of grading the floor and replacing the reinforcements. I have not put a priority on it, because of the uncertaintanty of what's just north of the tunnel. There isn't a 2 lane road north anywhere, nor room to make 1 without removing lots of fences. There is also a section of road that is clay, and another section underwater 1 tile wide.

Gud afternoon Kelody,  Monday, July 2nd, 2018 at 21:59 GMT

http://prntscr.com/k1pywr     Map Image ... the key to joining the two shore line CE highways.

Where the red eclipse is, we need to put in a bridge so we do not cut off boat access to Crystal City (a two wide arch that is 6 tiles long will allow tall ships to pass underneath.

An we could ask the owner of Ancient Vistas if he would be willing to help, by removing the gate house at the south west corner of his area (which I am told is off deed anyways).

Otherwise we would need to driving a by pass up the west side between the clay and that deed.

http://prntscr.com/k1q14q    Silver Mtn Hwy Road Tunnel will be easy to fix.  Just dig one side or the other to dirt to expose the rock face.  Then stand inside and Mine_Forward into the wall of the entrance and when you mine it out it will automatically make the widened entrance level with the existing one.  (so i have been told).

Food for thought.

Kindest regards,
Hughmongus

It has come to my attention that some people think I want to plan a massive highway criss-crossing the server. The exact opposite is true. The highway is already there, and has been for a while. I do my best to remove excess paving and a protected highway would make my removals easier to justify, if only to myself. :) There are just a few sections where there are deed, fences, clay, or 1 lane that don't qualify for highway protection, which are rather far from me, and hoping for locals in those areas to give feedback and some assistance. 

• Like 1

I am fine with cats eyes running up Lakes End, I want to change the stone slab to slate first, been on my list a long time just not got around to doing it. 

• Like 1

Also Dadd account was sold, pretty sure with the deed also. You would have to run a bridge across perhaps. Crazybill does still play, that is his player name, not sure how to catch him though or if he has a forum account. 

@LordLouisis it possible to get perms to dredge out the opening to OE Canal, or can you do it. It seems the sand has resettled and closed in the canal. Right now, even in a knarr, if you don't hit the opening just right you get stuck. There are no push/pull perms, so it can be a pain..

I don't mind dredging it a bit, and wouldn't change the landscape except the actual canal opening. 

• Like 1

I'll do that when i'm over in the next few days, I've not actually inspected it in a year or so. It was all dredged out but imagine its been griefed in some way, for a change. 

1 hour ago, LordLouis said:

I'll do that when i'm over in the next few days, I've not actually inspected it in a year or so. It was all dredged out but imagine its been griefed in some way, for a change. 

It's just at the edge of CL and Land's End. Once you get past that it's fine. It's sand, and has been getting worse and worse over time, so seems as if it's shifting.

I'd give you perms, but Lakes End is under one of Zomag's alts and he basically does not play anymore. I can't even add push pull perms,  which I had assumed would have been added. I built that entrance a few years ago now,  pity the perm problem wasn't mentioned before ?

You don't need perms to push or pull if you are owner of the ship, you can push/pull your own ship on a deed where you have no perms whatesoever.

You can get blocked, however, if you have any perms on the ship but not ownership.

Edited to add: I just tested it again, and it behaves like above. (I am guessing that's why you might not hear about perm issues, most players in wurm don't share ship with a friend, each has their own.)

Edited by Anarres
  • Like 2

Nobody bothered to ask me before destroying my rice paddy to plant catseyes in my perimeter, across the entrance to my boat cave that was still being dug and dredged. 

HughMongus so very kindly offered to give me a bunch of catseyes after-the-fact, if I would change my deed settings to allow the catseyes over the bridge. I asked him to remove the ones he and/or his friends planted in my perimeter, first. He laughed at me and said I had a vivid imagination, and has not touched them since. So, my permissons have remained, and will remain until someone works to remove those in place.

I never wanted to allow catseyes on my deed, and thought I had made that very clear before their introduction. Extending the coastline at my deed's edge and tearing up the rice field to bypass my deed was a shady, spiteful way to go about it, and definitely hasn't made me keen to be helpful and cooperative.

• Like 3