Sign in to follow this  
Clywde

A kind request from a paying customer (DEVS/STAFF response required)

9 hours ago, Clywde said:

If you're not a dev or wurm staff, please don't respond to this.

Ah ha! A very devious ploy to induce others to respond to your dubious "request" from the Wurm overlords. As you have lured me into an otherwise previously thoroughly covered topic I will say the following.

The Xanadu server was Rolf's grand experiment to see if size really does matter, in terms of Wurm that is. Before and when the server did open he specifically stated that this was his intent, that being to see how large a server he could create upon which players could reasonably move about and perform the various enjoyabilities offered. It was kind of fun to see him there upon its testing phase pre-opening, fiddling around with this and that and interacting with others to get their opinions on the playability of it all. Finally he got it to the point where it was about all he could do in these respects and the server was officially opened for player settlement.

Over the years since it has reached its current improvements which are noticeable from that looking back perspective. Yep, the lag does flare up from time to time but it seems that it won't be able to be reduced to the smaller servers playability on any consistent basis. Eventually I moved off of it several years back and onto my other original deed created on another server, which was the ultimate solution to Xanadu lag; but, still recently even there, there have been some freezeups which are unusual to experience. All the new tweaks to Wurm in general seem to again be adding to this lag/freeze problem which is a common denominator to the game.

Still, the ultimate solution to Xanadu lag is to move off the server if it becomes just too much to bear. And don't forget that bears hibernate from time to time as well and yet we still bear with them too, barely.

(response not required)

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
guess?
  • Like 2

I have experience working with Aws servers if you want a volunteer. We could also look at offloading animal scripts to lambda.  There are other options as well that could improve performance. 

13 hours ago, Mordraug said:

Re: Xanadu.... yeh yeh yeh I ain't staff but did toy a lot with the WU server setups.

First off, between a 4k map and an 8k map, we're talking going from 16mil tiles to 64mil tiles.

I ran WU, 4k map on a normal drive for a while no sweat (solo map, this is without adding thousands upon thousands of items and structures into it).  Tried an 8k map started seeing all the same Xanadu symptoms.

Switched to SSD, tried again.  The Xanadu-sized map ran way better but the symptoms were still there, and my 8-core ain't exactly a potato.

tl;dr, Java itself seems to struggle a bit with a server that size.  Can't do much about THAT.  The game's engine itself maybe could at some point but that's gonna take quite a bit of coding.  Long story short, if Xanadu's lag issues ever get fixed, smaller servers are gonna get one heckuva boost in performance as a result.  I believe a big part of it would be redoing and rebuilding the entire database to somehow getting the same processes done with way less queries.... sounds sooo easy but I really doubt it is.

I'd like to hear from someone who's run a Xan-sized server on some overkilling rig, see if there's some minimum cap in computing power that needs to be passed, but I got the feeling that throwing a supercomputer at it wouldn't solve much.

tbh if the devs were planning to do that they would have already announced it, as far as we know they arent planning to rebuild anything since they just dont have the manpower or logistics for it.

Xanadians... I've said it before and I'll say it again... if you can't stand the lag, get off of the server and go play on an 8x8 map like Cele, or Pristine.

Can we hide this thread now?  Thanks.

• Like 1

this thread drew more attention than i have seen for awhile.. wow... bud i'd say look at where you are in the world.. i would assume America over Canada you just don't seem Canadian.. so therefore your connection to the server is what slows you down.. bits and bytes are as perfect as the people who created them now have them spread over 10's of thousands of miles and issues arise.. peace out..

I and also some other tech experts in the playerbase warned Rolf weeks before Xanadu was opened that a server of this size can't be handled in a good way with the current server code. He didn't want to hear. We already saw a lot of lag when the first 8k map was tested.

and look how many people were drawn to Xanadu and how much fun they've had over the years too with the slight inconvenience of Rolf's decision..hmm.. i'd say its more of a win in my books.. but then i am just a Xanadu player and thats all ive known from my beginning three years ago..  but boy do i love travelling the vast landscape of xanadu i sometimes get lost... just the way i like to play me thinks..;>)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Psalamon said:

this thread drew more attention than i have seen for awhile.. wow... bud i'd say look at where you are in the world.. i would assume America over Canada you just don't seem Canadian.. so therefore your connection to the server is what slows you down.. bits and bytes are as perfect as the people who created them now have them spread over 10's of thousands of miles and issues arise.. peace out..

I live in Finland :) But the connection should not have several minutes roundtrip even if I live at the other side of the globe. I've played some other mmo (thousands of players simultaneously) games which are hosted across the sea without any lag issues. It's the architecture setup which matters the most.

I'm still a little pissed off about the way wurm servers work, but I'm not gonna leave the game. I'll move to smaller server. I'm sorry if I ruined anyones (dev/staff/players) mood ? 

• Like 2

On 6/30/2018 at 7:38 AM, Wargasm said:

Can we hide this thread now?  Thanks.

Yup you can lock this, but why hide - did this reveal something unwanted?

You just saw how much people back Wurm even though it has its issues.

#PvpLoveNextUpdate?

Edited by nicedreams
grammar

1 hour ago, Clywde said:

I'm still a little pissed off about the way wurm servers work, but I'm not gonna leave the game. I'll move to smaller server. I'm sorry if I ruined anyones (dev/staff/players) mood ? 

Naaaah, but it's an old conversation already lol.  Now you're caught up with everyone on that topic heh heh heh 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mordraug said:

Naaaah, but it's an old conversation already lol.  Now you're caught up with everyone on that topic heh heh heh 

For sure that too.  lol

well at least hes gonna stay.. we have saved/reformed a Wurm newbie into possibly a long time player .. cool.. +1 on retention..

btw off topic... @nicedreams that was a cool movie "big Trouble in Little China" eh?? i liked that one .. meowyin meowyin (sp!) eyes like creamy jade..heheh i get a kick outta your avatar every time i see it...

PS @dudewiththecutepenquinavatar where did you learn English your command of the language is exemplary!!!!!!

Edited by Psalamon

I belive he learnt english in Finland.

Finnish is btw a very peculiar language. :)

Why do people get so upset one someone complains about the bad wurm servers? Honestly the number of fanboys is too damn high 

Nobody likes lag, but if the solution was simple, then the devs would have done it by now.  I'm pretty sure nobody likes being moaned at, either.  There have been a number of improvements since Xanadu launched, and it's a lot better now than it was, but still painful, which is why I don't play there.  If you don't like it, move to a smaller server, plenty to choose from.

• Like 3

The penguin did, oddly enough, suggest the "simplest" solution.

Someone figure out land crossings across servers already then splitting Xanadu should be simple-ish .. except for whoever found the center of the server and deeded there ^o^

10 hours ago, Psalamon said:

well at least hes gonna stay.. we have saved/reformed a Wurm newbie into possibly a long time player .. cool.. +1 on retention..

well done :) (all of you)

10 hours ago, Psalamon said:

PS @dudewiththecutepenquinavatar where did you learn English your command of the language is exemplary!!!!!!

lol, I thought my english sucks. We are learning english at school very early on. I can't speak it very well, but I can write, because I have more time to find the words :)

Edited by Clywde

1 hour ago, Mordraug said:

The penguin did, oddly enough, suggest the "simplest" solution.

Someone figure out land crossings across servers already then splitting Xanadu should be simple-ish .. except for whoever found the center of the server and deeded there ^o^

Petition to refer to @Clywdeas "The Penguin" only from now on.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

Petition to refer to @Clywdeas "The Penguin" only from now on.

+1

This penguin dethroned @Roccandilas the most stubborn person in Wurm. At least Roccandil has sass.

Roc, you're small potatoes now.

• Like 2

I'm still not going to remove my Roccandil quote from my sig.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

+1

This penguin dethroned @Roccandilas the most stubborn person in Wurm. At least Roccandil has sass.

Roc, you're small potatoes now.

LOL. Just you wait... :P

8 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

LOL. Just you wait... :P

Oh lord...

20 hours ago, Jimmy_Norman said:

Hmmm. So buying milk is the same as paying premium for a game? ?

I get about 6 liters of milk in rl for a month prem.