Sign in to follow this  
Blindmole

Periodicaly losing connection / server dissapears from list

Hallo.

1. When i play WU im periodically lose connection with server.
2. After i lose connection server not visible in launcher for some random time (10-60 seconds).
3. When server with my character  not visible - all other servers visible.
4. Created another character on another server. Got same problem after some time. When looked at launcher found that both servers not visible. In other words im periodicaly cant see any server where i have char created, when all other servers allways visible.

Had this issue periodically once per week during a year of playing WU on same server. Yesterday/today cant play normally, get issue every 1-15 mins non-stop. Reinstalled client completelly, disable firewals, not helped.

Any hints?

Win10. Last version of WU.
Router F2000 Eir (Ireland "Eir" ISP)

UPDATE:
So after 2 days problem was gone without reason, and will back someday, but now route to server works well again.
On last issue i just catched that when server stopped respond i still had stable connection with closest router of my ISP. So atleast i know that issue not in my home. And since problem was gone after that i was not able to test all routers on route to game server.

Edited by Blindmole
info update

I'd like to rule out server issues (even if two servers had the same issue)  -- do you get this issue on servers such as Otherlands KangaWU or Sklotopolis?  (run by probably the most savvy server admins, and they have probably done troubleshooting for standard connection issues by players)

Before you connect, what is the ping of the server you are trying? It is possible it is something in networking outside of your computer, like connecting from Asia to Germany, or USA to Australia. (Oops ok you are Ireland correct? What is the location of your te\arget servers, USA? Australia? Germany?)

Are you on anything like a work or university network, that might have software blocking certain types of cinnections if they are perceived as .. undesireable hosting companies (I think wurm once used to get some issues with ISPs that found other sites on wurm's isp questionable or connected to pirating sites) 

Do you use any special networking or security-firewall type software beyond basic windows?   

Are you using any mods? Sometimes in the past I get disconnects using very specific mods (usually ESP mod). 

Are you connecting via VPN, and maybe using the same one as someone who was banned or could be getting kicked and causing issues for other users?  

If you are getting the issue constantly, have you tried unplugging your router, count to 20, replug in?

edit: 

May not be related, but is this your ISP? 

They seem to have a lot of unhappy users complaining about disconnects, but it may not be your issue if this only seems to happen connecting to WU.  Still, might depend a lot on where you are trying to connect to. Try the three servers I named above and see whether all three do the same.

There are other people here much better than me at troubleshooting networking issues, many are professional networking IT professionals,  so give them some time to see and respond to this post, some may take hours or even days to notice this post but if you have been strugg;ing for a year, it is worth the wait.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

1.  My main character lives at Mystic Highlands for a year+. This morning when i was do tests, i created character on Sklotopolis, but got same issue. (sorry Sklotopolis GM for character creation for testing purposes)
2. I live in Ireland, server in Germany, ping in launcher 50-80
3. Private network at home.
4. Standart win firewall and win defender firewal which was disabled during tests, also router default firewal which enabled at default state.
5. Not using any third party VPN software.
6. Restarted router many times last day.
7. You correct, it my ISP.

Hi Brash Endeavors :)

He has not been struggling for a year, he has been totally fine always, its just been the last couple of days, no one else on Mystic Highlands has this problem, as he said, he did also try Sklotopolis and thats the same for him. I am fresh out of idea's for him now, we have tried a lot of things this morning to no avail ?

Valiance and Kaylie.

Ah ok I thought it had been longer, from this:

""Had this issue periodically once per week during a year of playing WU on same server.""  

But if it happened before, it was rare and now it is almost constant?

I once had a severe problem in WO with constant disconnects. After poking around on my end it turned out I had a network cable running between my computer and router that went bad, probably  a loose connector at the end or something,  and plugging in a brand new cable completely solved my issue, so maybe also try that just in case (it's probably not the same issue for you, but you never know...also if you use wireless connection, try a cable and see if it makes any difference as wireless can at times be flaky)

Anyway there are better network folks here and someone will have better ideas. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I once had a severe problem in WO with constant disconnects. After poking around on my end it turned out I had a network cable running between my computer and router that went bad, probably  a loose connector at the end or something,  and plugging in a brand new cable completely solved my issue, so maybe also try that just in case (it's probably not the same issue for you, but you never know...also if you use wireless connection, try a cable and see if it makes any difference as wireless can at times be flaky)

makes cable changing sense if i lose response from only my server and not with internet? :) Different timeout sensivity?

While the servers are not on the server list are you still able to direct connect to them?

You will need the IP address and the port they use for connect clients.

2 minutes ago, bigsteve said:

While the servers are not on the server list are you still able to direct connect to them?

You will need the IP address and the port they use for connect clients.

not tried that, but atm i pinging all routers in route between me and server and waiting for server stop responding to look where network breaks when issue come...

Use this program it is quite helpful. https://emcosoftware.com/ping-monitor

Add a Wurm Unlimited server which you have problems with and also add some other sites like github.com, google.com, wurmonline.com and check if the connection drop appears on all services.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Use this program it is quite helpful. https://emcosoftware.com/ping-monitor

Add a Wurm Unlimited server which you have problems with and also add some other sites like github.com, google.com, wurmonline.com and check if the connection drop appears on all services.

Thanks for suggestion, Sir, but personally for me better to use cmd windows for pinging/tracing/etc.

So after 2 days problem was gone without reason, and will back someday, but now route to server works well again.
On last issue i just catched that when server stopped respond i still had stable connection with closest router of my ISP. So atleast i know that issue not in my home. And since problem was gone after that i was not able to test all routers on route to game server.