Sign in to follow this  
Liandal30

Make Birch trees useful

birch bark makes for excellent kindling and birch trees can also be tapped for their sap....

I often plant birch trees for several reasons:

1) They are the prettiest tree so good for landscaping, adding a bit of white accent that no other tree can do

2) They grow very fast so good for tree farms  (I believe they grow and spread even faster than pine?) 

3) They already do have one unique wurm game mechanic: Birchwood will burn longer than an equal weight of other wood

There are other trees that lack any distinctive feature (beyond looks), such as Fir and Linden trees, so if you revisit birch sap, please  consider them too. 

Sap and bark usefulness, however, I am all in for, especially if certain trees have some unique usage.   Both sap and bark have numerous uses especially in a survival game, so not sure why Wurm has always ignored their usefulness (beyond maple syrup).

Birch especially is a very useful tree for the properties of its bark and sap.

If we are "Singing A Song OF Birch" here, Birch actually has many superior uses making one of the most useful of trees:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch#Uses

Birch bark could be used to make crude rope for catching animals, primitive beds, temporary containers, clothing, and even fragile canoes for newer players. Bark of some trees has even proved an emergency (and not very nutrtional) food source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bark_bread

If Wurm decides to branch into HEALTH, WELLNESS & MEDICINE then bark is a useful ingredient for mayy medicines, soaps, balms. 

A starter medicine might be something used on animals that need help recovering from disease.

However, Wurm has progressed I think betyond it's "survival game" roots, and is now more about building / crafting than raw survival. Collecting birch bark simply for kindling does not provide much interest in a wurm world where players can easily mass produce bulk kindling form their 453,873 wood scraps, and lighting a forge or oven with kindling is 100% successful.

However, it would be useful in a survival setting where players are struggling even to light a campfire. It might be nice to someday have a wurm server,  "Survival Island", with no boat access only new characters, that focuses more on very primitive  starting-with-nothing survival gameplay. Birch sap and bark susrvival uses would be especially useful in such a place!  Linking to very old 2012 thread of mine, 

272cc-sn-iceage-thumb-800xauto-11415.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3

they already burn for longer with less wood

learn the game kiddo

• Like 1

❤️ Birch, may favourite tree of all time.

You can even burn it fresh when frozen.

would sap be used (with or without sugar) to make syrup we can then use for wine?

for birch kindling perhaps have the campfire have extra ql...

but other than this...i dont quite see what exactly you want to be added to the birch tree type... nice list of its uses irl but what are you seeking in wurm?

Back on Epic before the reset I used to have a tiny island, and on that island I kept multiple types of every tree, people thought I was being dumb, and did not believe the wood type "myth" outside of willow for fishing poles and bows.

Well I always made sure to make tools out of certain wood types, burned certain woods, made piles out of oak etc. Turns out I was right.

Birch trees are not useless, but adding birch sap as a maple alternative would be neat. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:10 PM, Liandal30 said:

birch trees can also be tapped for their sap

Who'se that tap, tap, tapping on my sapling? Just come on in. No need to be a sap about it. Yeah, birchwood door knockers would be cool too. A nice contrast to our otherwise mellowed brown door colors.

As for the trees being pretty, I never liked them for some time after moving off of Golden Valley, since they were the predominant species there. I still don't like them too much but for a contrast to other forests they can be pretty nice. Useful for that, yep. Not into burning trees though. Plenty of woodscraps to combine for that.

=Ayes=

On 6/28/2018 at 7:10 PM, Ekib said:

would sap be used (with or without sugar) to make syrup we can then use for wine?

for birch kindling perhaps have the campfire have extra ql...

but other than this...i dont quite see what exactly you want to be added to the birch tree type... nice list of its uses irl but what are you seeking in wurm?

The sap is a sweetener in itself (Xylitol)

You work the sap same way as maple sap.