Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Carriages and Drivers

Ok so I was talking to my buds, and while talking about dumb things that could be done in the game, someone mentioned the carriage idea. I thought about it for a moment, and suddenly it didn't sound so dumb. But here's the idea.

Carriages:

Similar to a cart of a wagon, but it only carries up to 2 passengers and no cargo. A driver is needed to operate. Carriage requires 4 animals, and moves at Wagon speed. If horses, can be geared as usual. 

Driver:

Contract bought from a trader. Similar to a wagoneer, but requires a Carriage he is assigned to. Driver will automatically drive the carriage to a destination village. It can also be used to automatically pick you up at a waystone from its current location. Speed dependent on Carriage. 

Another idea, Drivers could also be made public and a price set for their use. Owner of the driver would get a percentage of the fee to their deed coffers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

Ok so I was talking to my buds, and while talking about dumb things that could be done in the game, someone mentioned the carriage idea. I thought about it for a moment, and suddenly it didn't sound so dumb. But here's the idea.

Carriages:

Similar to a cart of a wagon, but it only carries up to 2 passengers and no cargo. A driver is needed to operate. Carriage requires 4 animals, and moves at Wagon speed. If horses, can be geared as usual. 

Driver:

Contract bought from a trader. Similar to a wagoneer, but requires a Carriage he is assigned to. Driver will automatically drive the carriage to a destination village. It can also be used to automatically pick you up at a waystone from its current location. Speed dependent on Carriage. 

Another idea, Drivers could also be made public and a price set for their use. Owner of the driver would get a percentage of the fee to their deed coffers.

well i think the main balance comes from speed of the carriage, if it will take me 2-3h on carraige cause it goes 18km/h then its not that good. Overall i think it would be neat and maybe you can build on wagoneers idea, the hard part will be tho if someone dcs, what happens, if i decide to go on the ride and have to go, will i get dropped off at a deed and die there etc etc. But overall could be cool, it can use the highway system and same as wagoneer. Maybe you buy it the same way, but it down and it will drive people around for a price. 

4 minutes ago, Wulfgarr said:

well i think the main balance comes from speed of the carriage, if it will take me 2-3h on carraige cause it goes 18km/h then its not that good. Overall i think it would be neat and maybe you can build on wagoneers idea, the hard part will be tho if someone dcs, what happens, if i decide to go on the ride and have to go, will i get dropped off at a deed and die there etc etc. But overall could be cool, it can use the highway system and same as wagoneer. Maybe you buy it the same way, but it down and it will drive people around for a price. 

I think if you dc, it would drop you off wherever you are when you leave world. Would free the carriage for other people's use and at the same time not kill you. My reasoning is it won't be a replacement to horses or fast means of travel, but its a pretty neat way to get from one spot to another. Also would be great to be able to sail to some port on a different server, and whistle up a public carriage to drive you to your friend's deed since you wouldn't have your own horses. Taxi galore!

• Like 1

I have an expanded idea off that one.

carriage routes were often established along mail routes. it was actually their main income, not the passengers. They often also carried payrolls and tax money.

So, we have a highway system. So they can add an NPC carriage system that uses the highways to distribute the Kings coffers to the tokens. Add the ability to be able to stop one of them and attempt to picklock the chest.

When one is stopped the nearest guard towers sends out men to stop the robbery. If you out in the middle of no where that could take quite a while.

This would encourage players to also build guard towers along their highway if they want their coffers to remain filled.

Now, if/when you pick the lock (and you have to do it on site, no taking it away to a safe place) you get a chance (not a guarantee) of getting a small share *not a the full share, can't rob Wurm blind Maybe a 5 or 10 copper coin with an even rarer chance for a 20c or even a silver) of the token coffer, or more often some other item. 

If you get caught by the guards you respawn on Epic for a determined amount of time by the guards, dependent on how many times you've been caugfht before (accumulated)

Epic now becomes a PvP Penal Colony, lmao.

I still don't see the damage in doing it "ourselves", really.

There have been many suggestions like this, one of the major critcisms was that alts could be used in lieu of wagoners with this (Not entirely, a wagoner is still more convenient but w/e), but as long as they'd need to be premium I don't see the problem with that.

The idea of a dedicated carriage driver opens up a few new interesting aspects though, especially with renting them out or have them come pick you up, but the latter kinda hinges on not travelling with your own cart or wagon, which I find rather rare.

Not opposed, I give it a grudging +1 if the above can't be made to happen because the highways could use some more features and this one at least falls enough in line with how Wurm handles such features so far that it'd appease even some "conservative" players. But I think a simple autopilot that just uses the wagoner's AI and is on your own risk to use (regarding hostile mobs) is preferrable and easier to implement.

I was having a discussion with a kingdom mate earlier and he brought up a very good point. Fees for usage are important as they limit widespread use and introduces money sinks which are much needed for the game. At the same time I think there should be a portion of it going back to the owner in the form of a deed upkeep. This gives incentives for people to use them and increases overall service quality.

• Like 1

I always wanted to expand on goods transportation, but in the opposite way. I wanted to see the game be more friendly to those who transfer the goods via boat/wagon/cart. Being a courier is fun and interesting to me personally. 

Automating it would pretty much go against my preference. I thought we already had this to some degree with wagoneers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FranktheTank said:

I always wanted to expand on goods transportation, but in the opposite way. I wanted to see the game be more friendly to those who transfer the goods via boat/wagon/cart.

Ironically I think the same but also find that automating specifically the tedious parts of it would make it more "friendly". so I'm curious what you'd imagine under that, if you have any specific ideas to make transportation less of a chore?

I wouldn't even mind if completely riding AFK was discouraged by some mechanisms. When it comes to roads...even proper angle snapping so auto"walk"ing doesn't throw you into the ditch every 10 meters would be progress to me. Still needs your attention, but not fiddling on your keyboard like a madman just to keep the wagon on the road.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flubb said:

Ironically I think the same but also find that automating specifically the tedious parts of it would make it more "friendly". so I'm curious what you'd imagine under that, if you have any specific ideas to make transportation less of a chore?

I wouldn't even mind if completely riding AFK was discouraged by some mechanisms. When it comes to roads...even proper angle snapping so auto"walk"ing doesn't throw you into the ditch every 10 meters would be progress to me. Still needs your attention, but not fiddling on your keyboard like a madman just to keep the wagon on the road.

Fair, I was just thinking if people wanted a market really badly which people seem to, why not just have actual contractual transportation of goods like Eve online? People who don't mind afk driving can pick up the contract for ___g/s/c/i and move it. 

Once goods are put in wagon/cart/ship for delivery we can either

Have one of the old writ models appear in the inventory, the player lists the purchaser of the goods, and deliverer, and off they go.

Set permissions so that the deliverer can drive the vehicle and the purchaser can access

or pending market system, contract out through that, work permissions somehow to automatically curate them based on the applicant. 

8 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

I always wanted to expand on goods transportation, but in the opposite way. I wanted to see the game be more friendly to those who transfer the goods via boat/wagon/cart. Being a courier is fun and interesting to me personally. 

Automating it would pretty much go against my preference. I thought we already had this to some degree with wagoneers?

I agree with your sentiment. However, keep in mind this "automation" is directed only to the transportation of people through the highway system. Locations not connected to a highway and server to server transportation is completely unnafected. There is also the fact that there will be a charge to use the service (currency sinks) which make it more reasonable for people to use personal means of transportation for regular use.

This suggestion, however, allows for a means to connect people between coasts and interior parts of a server. People would be more ameanable to travel inland from other servers when they have the option to do so. The highway system is an excellent mechanic, but it has very little use at the moment, and I think it would be great to expand on that.

I believe that anything that brings people closer together without drastically changing the realistic feel of the game is a step in the right direction.