Sign in to follow this  
AJBlack

A (Hi)story of Pristine

Hey guys,

I'm trying to put together a website about Wurm lore, since there's not much out there about the time since players have arrived. I can find about Pristine what is to be found online and use Twitter for abandoned deeds, but I would like to ask that anyone who has a deed there or has had a deed there and is interested may reply or message me privately with the story about their deeds or the history they know.

This can be role-play - if you have made up a story about your character, about your deed or your ventures... slayings, official events, anything... let me know and I will try to implement it in my history or story of Pristine. 

I'll be doing this server by server. Obviously, I will have to give this some time so people can submit info, so until August 1st (2018), the submission of information for this is open.

After that, I will try to write everything down as best I can and combine it into one big history of Pristine. 

In the end, I will close my Pristine project with a journey through current Pristine and visits to deeds I have in my story (if the players are okay with that), or deeds that have been recommended for me to visit. 

I am going to be doing this for other servers afterwards, but as Pristine has caught my attention with its wonderful landscape and pristine name (see what I did there?), I have been drawn to go there first.

Let's get some player lore into this player made server :D 

May the Gods guide our fingers as we make thistory. :) 

• Like 2

You should definitely take a look at this:

https://wurmacademy.wordpress.com/

(First chapter: https://wurmacademy.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/ch-1-the-first-day/)

The Wurm Academy was founded in December 2012, only one day after Pristine itself was born. Its active time ended in 2014, after more than 400 new players had called the Academy their home - but it is still there today. Everyone who is interested in Wurm history should pay a visit. And - who knows - maybe this great place will be revived again one day!

• Like 3

I was just thinking about Yaga and the Academy. Thanks for the time frame Yaga, i can never remember when Pristine was created.

When we first arrived with new characters, we joined The Wurm Academy, which at the time, was just a collection of wooden houses, everybody that had any skill was very busy building roads. Reddit existed already next to The Academy and a place called Woodlands between Blossom and The Academy. I remember that because we had setup Sanctuary at the edge of the central desert right where it is today. There were no trees around, so we took a trip to the only place with trees we knew with our slow cart to collect sprouts. Promptly ran into Woodlands, alas no sprouts!

Sanctuary (every server has to have a Sanctuary) was founded as a standard 10x10 deed in January 2013. I recall the desert having a mob on every tile, we would spend a great deal of time running around the token to give the templar time to kill the nasties. It took weeks to be able to build stone walls or a house, no wood just rocks available. Today Sanctuary is a 61x25, is still a member of The Academy Network alliance and I still live there. All gates and gate houses are open to anybody that needs a break on a long journey or while hunting.

The central desert was much larger then, from the Caldera crater all the way south to almost reaching Lakeview, from the water's edge in the east to the tundra in the west. Neighbors came and went, for me the most memorable is Bisbie, May 2014 until about July 2015 just north bordering Sanctuary. He didn't like steppe or desert so he turned a good deal of his massive deed into forest :(. He did change his mind towards the end of his time with us and the Oak forest we created together is still there today.

The first (and only) Impalong on Pristine, December 2013 I think, was a great event. Held at Blossom Market, I for one had oodles of fun and made some friends that stayed on until today. I agree with Yaga, although we still have the occasional newcomer joining The Academy every new player to Wurm should join The Academy on Pristine, enjoy a great alliance spread all around the server, get the "hang of it" and set out into our amazing world.

• Like 5

Academy is the only reason I stayed in this game.  I would have quit my first day, if I had not found them and all the great advice they had to offer.

• Like 3

Wurm Academy is still alive and active on Pristine as well as the Academy network alliance. Not as big in numbers as the past but still there for newcomers and still run by our lovely Serraphine. I didn't sadly join them as a newbie, but the networks towers saved my life so many times :D 

• Like 1

I was playing on Deli, when Pristine opened. I had no intention of starting over on a fresh server.

A fellow Delian, asked me to come help with the highway from Blossom to "The Wurm Academy". I started a fresh newb "Serraphine", showed up at the academy for working orders. Jberg gave me instructions on the Highway project.  When that was done I reported back, to the  Academy HQ. Clint needed planks for the sleeping quarters. So I started on that. Then we needed dirt moved for farm land, then dirt moved for HQ buildings, then dirt for pastures, then dirt removed for on deed mine entrance.  A new highway heading east from Academy to Reddit Harbor. Next thing I know months have passed. Most folks had moved on to their own deed, or gone back to a original server. Which just left me, @Yaga and Tamaya as citizens of Wurm Academy. But the alliance had grown strong, and was still growing.

Wurm Academy is no longer a busy center for new players. But we have 4 open house plots for future newbies. And if a new player is looking for a place to hang out while learning the game. A place to rest their weary head. A place for returning players to get used to the game again. A place for questions to be asked and hopefully answered, then Wurm Academy/Academy Network Alliance might be a place for you. the Alliance still has active players. Quite a few of us still play. and even when we take Wurm vacations we always seem to return to Pristine and our Wurm Family.

• Like 9

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, QueenRocks said:

and a place called Woodlands between Blossom and The Academy

The Woodlands was my deed. When the server opened I made a new character there (Zip) on about the first day just to see what was going on. I didn't really intend to play there since I would have to once again build up a fresh character with no skills, items or anything. After a few days puttering around I decided that I would make a 1 silver upkeep deed there just for the heck of it since surprisingly there was a piece of land open right above Blossom. A prime spot it seemed to me, somehow overlooked by everyone with perimeter right up against Blossom itself.

The other thing that convinced me to make the deed was that anyone could transfer any amount of silver they wanted from their other characters on any other server through the Epic transit route. This enabled a number of players to right away start with the ability to make a deed there without needing to earn the silver on Pristine to do so. Some very large deeds were quickly created this way by those with a lot of silver to spare on other servers. This also gave them the ability to focus upon grinding their skills up quickly (relatively speaking) so they could then attempt to establish positions of dominance in the upcoming market "economy" that they would create on this fresh new "isolated" server. A pretty big loophole in the isolationist fresh concept, seemingly.

Anyway, I was never interested in the trade aspects but just wanted to build my 21x21 deed with my new mayor. It was also very impressive and fun to watch The Academy grow from the barren landscape surrounding it. Wood shacks everywhere to start! Day by day more pop up as new players arrived. A real hub of activity, as also the main highway system was extended to it. So after a visit to see the new happenings there of the day I was back to work on my own deed. Slowly I built it up over the years, as well as Zip's skills to become a capable mayor of doing anything necessary there. Nothing massive really, just a forested retreat next to Blossom with some sprout farms in the front and a path from the highway leading up to it.

There was also a small piece of land on the highway next to it where Zip built a 2x2 stone building with a forge, oven and some stocked bins so that new players passing by could have a spot to stop, build a cart, maybe create some tools or cook up some food from the bin stock. I would frequently see signs of activity there, so it seems to have been a worthwhile creation. Then when all this work was done I decided to make a deed over the clay spot nearby to preserve it for public use, named Clay Harbor. I see it is still named as such today and taken over by another with a lot of nice improvements made to it as well.

Finally when WU opened and I started playing there I decided that playing with deeds on 3 different WO servers with mayors on each was a bit too much, as I wanted to build on some WU servers too. Then I just disbanded The Woodlands and Clay Harbor, destroyed all the buildings and left their lands to whoever would like to claim them for their own. Now Zip has finally sailed off to join me on my home server. Farewell to the fond memories of Pristine...

=Ayes=

• Like 5

Zip, I never knew that was you!

Clay Harbor is one of mine. I tried to keep it open and newbie friendly and of course Clay for all. 

We still go pick sprouts at Zips fields. ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ohana said:

Same here! (I am Yaragar on Pristine.) :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ohana said:

3 hours ago, Yaga said:

Same here!

I (Ayes) was keeping a low profile there in respect to Zip being my account. I just figured I would let his playstyle stand on its own. Good to hear Zip's sprout areas are still providing them for others to pick too.

Great work on resurrecting Clay Harbor Ohana. I stopped by there with Zip some months back before he sailed off server to take a final look at the very well designed and improved addition. Clay for all!

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Wonderful to read about this stuff.

So much love! ❤️

• Like 1

I remember you Zip from Clay Harbour, you were always so friendly and helpful and as a noob that place was precious, thank you for that :) Woodlands I remember too but only ever rode through it from time to time, it was and still is a pretty nice spot up there with some new residents.

• Like 1

I have found some old screens from Pristine events and community initiatives and can share them with you :)

1. Rite of Sprint casts - they were hosted every 3-4 months; players gathered around altar and someone with high casting skill (usually Aum/WKM/Dksprocket) casted the RoS spell which made sb-hungry Vynora followers happy. I'm sad these events are gone...

Spoiler

RoS Cast on 08.03.2014 at Reddit:

65l9o68.jpg

RoS Cast on 18.01.2014 at Blossom Market:

cBmAWFL.jpg

2. Creation of the Jirkasoukup's canal to the inner lake, 23.03.2014:

Spoiler

FmDJyfM.jpg

3. Maze run event hosted by Dksprocket (winner: Pagsiu, 2nd place: Vamprilla), 18.01.2014. Participants waiting at the entrance:

Spoiler

JhLes8a.jpg

4rMwyAY.jpg

4. Last dragon on Pristine being killed (before the uniques update), 26.03.2014:

Spoiler

It was nearly impossible to take a good screenshot because wurm was very laggy ? The dragon is still visible though.

GBBCFp9.jpg

5. An old avatar of Fo was killed on 29.03.2014 at Lakeview. Darkravager landed the last hit:

Spoiler

fKR94Tc.jpg

6. Black dragon killing on the Horseshoe Island, 04.09.2014:

Spoiler

jVFmmWC.jpg

JFruHju.jpg

7. Forest giant killing. Location: forest west of Brandylouwho's Zoo, date: 02.06.2014:

Spoiler

c1vgQTV.jpg

G0PvXVy.jpg

8. Wounded players healing up in a house while other brave fighters are fighting with Kyklops, 05.04.2014, in the middle of the Pristine Wasteland:

Spoiler

xoZWeLk.jpg

9. Another Kyklops slaying. 30.08.2014 & Tunnel of Unrest area:

Spoiler

jn20f3y.jpg

PkB3nq9.jpg

NIVZrjd.jpg

10. 22.02.2014 - Elvidur builds his first ever colossus after weeks of preparations. It still stands at approx. O17.

Spoiler

You can barely see him under the colossus, sitting on his wagon.

yqN5bwb.jpg

Edited by pagsiu
  • Like 4

I discovered Wurm in February 2014; my very first day out of the portal, I remember wanting to get a clay jar because I needed to carry water, and followed signs to Clay Harbor.  I spent probably the next 12 hours straight making bowls, jars, flasks, imping them as high as I could (to start with that wasn't very high at all, because I didn't understand that to get higher quality clay I needed higher digging skill).  I was ecstatic when I peered in a trash bin and found 5-6 pieces of 25 quality clay, I guess someone that came by must have dug them and dropped what they didn't want in the bin while I was engrossed in my task.  I found the forge in the building and fired all my hard made clay items to pottery, and went back to blossom.  There I spoke to the traders I found and bartered my spare flasks, bowls and jars for a better weapon and some cloth armor, along with anything else that I could get in the way of tools I didn't have. 

By this time I was already completely hooked and had reached 20 skill in pottery, immediately deciding to take the plunge and go premium.  I now have 54 months of consecutive premium time, and even when I step away from Wurm due to RL frustrations (or even Wurm frustrations) I can't seem to break entirely away and always ensure my premium stays up.

Pristine has one of the best communities in this amazing game, and while I've gone to other servers, even spending time on Chaos learning pvp, I've always managed to return to my place of 'birth' in Wurm Online.  I've made many wonderful friends in Wurm, some that I will carry with me in my heart for years ahead.  *hugs*

• Like 7

The thing w Pristine was that no one could bring their established characters over initially .. we all had to start new chars, so we had no skill basically defenceless chars vs wall to wall critters of all types .. and stuff u dont think about until too late ... plenty of horses, but no ropes ... the first people able to produce ropes made a killing :)

I made a non prem new char and went over on the first day because i wanted to see what a virgin server would be like ..  the number of animals was amazing.

i went south (um, i think) along the coast, past numerous player corpses, kind of running from deed to deed so i could get rid of my following angry mobs of critters courtesy of the deed templars,  until i ended up in a group w Darkmalice ..  worked on a place with them for a while, then i dropped out to return to Inde where i had some projects on the go.

On the 12th December 2012 (or, in terms of the Wurm calendar: in week 3 of the starfall of the Digging in the year of 1028) a new island arose from the stormy sea. As no human being had ever set foot on this untouched country, the island was called “Pristine”.

I'm wondering if any of the first week deeds are still around?

Rim Constructions, founded by Megachill, seems to be the oldest still existing according to Niarja. 13-10-05

Ohne Dich, founded by Ballad, is second oldest. 13-10-08

Port-Refuge, founded by Faelys is third oldest. 13-10-09

However Niarja holds no list of older deeds than around that time (october 2013) so Niarja prolly didn't exist when Pristine started?

Edited by Cecci

That's right Cecci Niarja came out later so it doesn't record the early deeds.

Some of the earliest deeds that were there before I started on 12 December 2012 are Pristine Market, Boat Port just east of Blossom, Shadowbay, The Wurm Academy and Lakeview.

That's correct - the earliest tweets on Niarja are from April 2014. I think that means only Xanadu is a "complete" record (but keep in mind that the servers may occasionally omit sending a tweet, and servers don't send notifications for events like settlement name changes).

I can't seem to find my old chat logs anywhere, but I _swear_ I remember that within the first 24 hours of Pristine being opened, someone managed to be struck by lightning and killed.  Given that we were all still naked starter toons at the time (no cross-server travel in those days), it seemed a classic Wurm moment: "Welcome to Wurm!  Everything is going to be very difficult for a while.  Here's some death by lightning just to prove it."

Does anyone else remember this?

That sounds familiar. But I could just be mixing memories from when I first learned lightning could strike and kill you lol

I think my alt Kalmit must have been one of the first citizens of Pristine.

[17:31:06] You enter Troshkas Nest.

[17:31:06] It is 14:10:38 on day of Sleep in week 3 of the starfall of the Leaf in the year of 1028.

[17:31:06] The settlement of Troshkas Nest has just been founded by Kalmit.

I have been there ever since and fully intend to stay for the duration :) It is a small natural island at the entrance of a fjord which with the help of friend Tegard has been expanded into a lovely little deed.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sidereal said:

I remember that within the first 24 hours of Pristine being opened, someone managed to be struck by lightning and killed.

My mayor there was struck by lightning while I was just outside his house doing some work. Strange thing is that he suffered no damage at all but out of curiosity I examined the lamp planted next to him and it had some significant damage on it. It was a really startling experience so I remember it quite clearly and seeing the event message too that Zip had been struck by lightning. Then I went to the village token and noted that it was recorded there as well under Area History. Some other players got a laugh out of it too when I mentioned to them to check it out there. This was a year or two after the server opened though so not the one you mentioned.

=Ayes=

13 hours ago, Ohana said:

That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Not really sure what the "story" is but looking at that statue reminds me that long ago I (Zip) labeled some nymph statues like that (Forest Protector) at The Woodlands which were left behind after disbanding.

Also noticed your profile picture on mouse over reminds me of Hanalei Bay, with that little concrete pier into it?

=Ayes=