Sign in to follow this  
LorenaMontana

Cant play wurm anymore

@LorenaMontana

15 hours ago, LorenaMontana said:

According to some PC technician friends the problem lies with my power supply (Voeding in dutch), when my computer boots up a game (anything else then a browser surf) my power supply goes to higher power and then automatically shuts to power save mode and shut down my PC while producing weird sounds and everything just stops. Is this possible wurm friends :)?

I got you bro, this sounds like the issue you have described and here is your solution.

We will disable hibernation (Power save mode)

The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, right click on the start menu and click "Command Prompt (Admin)".

Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter.

Exit the command prompt.

Hibernation is now disabled.

Restart your computer and it should be all fine (+ You get some extra space on your harddrive :)

Edited by Sn00

Is it possible to physically carry the PC back to Azerty and have them test the PSU?  Since they built it (not clear when, the GTX760 was released back in 2013, and you mention a lot of dust so it is possible any warranties are past) it's possible that they might at least offer to check it and maybe suggest an upgrade/replacement and only after confirming that is even the issue. Nothing worse than dropping a lot of money on a new power supply only to discover that was not the problem. However, if you do meed to upgrade, I am a firm believer that a good "single rail" 12v PSU is much better than multi rail ones.

For now, I would unplug any extra gadgets you really do not need  to reduce overall power consumption. If you have printers,  extra hard drives you rarely use, extra USB hubs, game controllers, blinking lights and extra fans. Unplugging speakers and using a headset may also help.  If the system is overclocked, it is using more power, so maybe "just for now" return it to factory defaults. Check both CPU and GPU for overclocking, it may have been enough to push past what the PSU was capable of handling, and over time that wears out a unit. Reduce fans just enough to avoid serious overheating. For now, do not run extra browser/chat/etc programs in the background while gaming, in case the extra load on the CPU is a factor.

See also:   [How To] Reduce Power Consumption on Your PC: Detailed Guide

That might be enough to make a difference for now. You may need to replace the PSU soon-ish (month or two) if it has been working at over capacity for an extended time. It may not have been, but if it has been rapidly getting worse, it may be rapidly failing and you may have little notice of a failure. Do a files backup asap.

If PSU goes out, it sometimes can take motherboard or other components with it, so I suggest getting it checked, soon.  

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

One important thing about power supplies: the wattage is NOT the most important element. There are a lot of inexpensive 500W, 750W, 1000W etc power supplies you really would not want to use even if you got them for free, because a blown power supply can destroy other parts of your system, and many "cheap" PSU are actually putting out way way less wattage than their label claims.  

Maybe read through this: https://techguided.com/how-to-choose-a-power-supply/

See also here to see what an "80 Plus" label means:  https://www.tomshardware.com/news/what-80-plus-levels-mean,36721.html

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

A addin on buying psu ill use this site, when lazy ordering but it say much so.

Then u can compare ur comp with what u have and whats needed, ill always have a 250 more watt then needed coz all usb things + fans.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Adding that 80+ aswell, i only buy corsair psu's

Edited by MrCoolMan
added info