Sign in to follow this  
Tehangel2

How is the Current State of Wurm?

I first began playing the game 10 years ago, dedicated a good constant 4 years of playing. After that I was on and off for the next 6 years, playing for a few months at a time. Now not so much, I still log on to maintain my deed now every 5-6 months, completely keeping to myself. I probably haven't even logged into the forums in over a year. 

Wurm has recently been in my mind and while I'm at work I figured I'd make a post to inquire about the current situation of Wurm. I did enjoy puttering away into the mines or forge, or even troll infested woods but this was with friends typically. With majority of the people I met in Wurm having moved on it feels like a remnant of the past now. Too large of a nostalgia trip, I don't deal well with nostalgia. ?

Wurm unlimited is another thing I've been looking at. The benefits of Wurm unlimited look great. No premium in some of the best servers, and borderline no incentive, besides support, to open your wallet. 

Tell me how you guys feel. 

Tldr, I suppose I'm asking for someone to sell me on coming back to Wurm. ?

Here is a nice short pitch.

IF YOU ARE NOT PLAYING A PRIEST; wurm online has really pushed out the boat in offering long requested features for the game, and while I cannot personally recomment it, the game has come a long way for crafters.

They're even putting a lot of effort into reworking PvP; balancing crafter PvE, and even opening up the game to first time players.

Edited by Etherdrifter
edited to remove salt

honestly, there are so many new things to learn, it is almost like a new game.  I take a lot of breaks for RL projects and every time I return, there are so many new things to play with.  On the potentially negative side, the population is low and formerly expensive rares are really cheap now.  Maybe a good thing too, if you aren't holding a bunch to sell and need to go buy some for a fresh start.  The population being low is a plus if you want to hunt for a new deed or two.  So many fantastic places to take over.

It costs way more than you remember, but that said, the devs are really amazing and cranking out some seriously awesome updates of late.

worth coming back because there is more options deed design wise to play around with, highways actually have a bit of mechanical purpose, cave dwellings, bridges, dying and placing items.

PVP is a bit different If you ever stepped into that, maybe if you didn't try it your last time on wurm, try this time, something new.

Edited by Mclavin

Awesome - I am a relatively new player - going on 3 yrs now? But I am kept here because there are constant improvements made to the game and new things rolled out that make Wurm life super exciting all over again.  I was part of an MMO for a few years before this and eventually i left because there was never anything new and they never updated anything, so i REALLY appreciate how the devs keep making Wurm better and better :)

I wish the economy was stronger and I wish there was more none combat player vs player stuff.  Like alliances completing Wonders or something.  Other than that, it scratches a creative itch nothing else has.

I'd been on for a while and I would honesty say its evolving quite well.

Some of my primary concerns are things like the economy, is it still relatively healthy? That aspect always interestsed me. 

Is there much of a community to be had still? I'd rode around a few major developed areas in Xanadu today and might've ran into 3-4 online people. These regions were usually around starter deeds. 

Things of that liking. 

Edited by Tehangel2

For the feel of community and people around I would suggest to search for one of the more active alliances. If you are in a nice alliance and maybe not on the biggest server in a lonely area, you have always some people around to chat with or hunt together. Or you go to rifts and other events where you will always meet people. For me the game feels lively enough, dont miss anything. If you want to sell stuff then its hard, it was hard months ago and still is. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tehangel2 said:

Some of my primary concerns are things like the economy, is it still relatively healthy? That aspect always interestsed me. 

Is there much of a community to be had still? I'd rode around a few major developed areas in Xanadu today and might've ran into 3-4 online people. These regions were usually around starter deeds. 

Things of that liking. 

There are (and always have been) too many servers.  But because of the vested time and effort people have placed in their deeds on all the servers, I am certain it is close to impossible that they will close any servers to consolidate.  The irony is that the large number of servers coupled with the small player-base makes Wurm feel almost adandoned to me.  One obvious consolidation would be to close Epic.  Why the devs refuse to bury that corpse is really beyond comprehension.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

There are (and always have been) too many servers.  But because of the vested time and effort people have placed in their deeds on all the servers, I am certain it is close to impossible that they will close any servers to consolidate.  The irony is that the large number of servers coupled with the small player-base makes Wurm feel almost adandoned to me.  One obvious consolidation would be to close Epic.  Why the devs refuse to bury that corpse is really beyond comprehension.

At the same time I know a fresh Wurm player who spent several days to find a spot which is quite untouched, handy for a starter toon and not owned. He found it on Xanadu finally, the other servers were too built up. So it is not necessarily bad to have vast open lands - but player density should be somehow visible so if someone want frequent interaction could choose a location accordingly.

I think about a possible solution like light pollution maps of Earth shot from space...

Like Wurm itself, the economy is continually evolving, it shifts and changes as new features and content are brought in.  The most useful rule of thumb is 'never throw anything away', and the same goes for all the new friendships you are now making. :) 

Welcome back to Wurm.

15 hours ago, Jaz said:

At the same time I know a fresh Wurm player who spent several days to find a spot which is quite untouched, handy for a starter toon and not owned.

Yeah, that's the old Wurm problem - and nobody has yet found a good and practical solution for it. Many new players (not all, but many) like the idea of carving a spot for themselves out of the wilderness. The problem of course is that after terraforming and building this particular spot will never be wilderness again. Thus - no matter the size of the server - over time every server will always become a junkyard of abandoned deeds.

The game has made a lot of long awaited developments, which is fun for any returning player.

The playerbase is the lowest its been in over five years, especially for someone looking to PvP, and mechanics in that area need more work now than ever.

• Like 1