Sign in to follow this  
jonsnow

Animal Breeding - Rare Horses

One of the issues I always had with the new additions of colored horses, is once you had one horse of a certain skin pattern you could breed it and have a near infinite amount of them.  Pretty soon the market is flooded with them.

It would be kind of cool if there were rare skin types.

For example, there's a certain color of horse that happens randomly at birth and cannot be spread to offspring.  Just a rare, different color horse. Nothing else special about the horse, it would still acquire the parents traits for specialties.  Just to create some market traction in the breeding area and to give some love to those breeders jealous of the crafts having their rarities.

• Like 3

+1 Very cool idea.  I'd like to strive for riding a horse that is difficult and rare to obtain; expensive to buy, and possible for even a noob-ish player to breed.  Love things like that!

We sort of do have that already, most common horses are usually grey, brown, white. Yellow and Black seem more rare, then there are even more colors beyond those like blood bay.

Color is a trait in its own, hence why it is passed on, you would have to make color no longer a trait or have a roll to just make an entirely new horse color out of the dynasty of horses who color it had been prior.

Which does lack realism. 

• Like 1

+1

I'd also love to see shiny rare, supreme and fantastic horses!

+1

I love the idea of randomly getting a super rare color that cannot be bred forward. Like you say, as nice as it is to get new colors, soon everyone has them once they've bred a herd, so it would be kind of cool if there were some "mutated" horses that could not procreate.