Sign in to follow this  
jonsnow

Being scored on furniture in a building

So, I'm not sure how this could be useful...  but there's a game called ECO, that uses furniture in a house as a basis for skill gain, now I don't suggest that for Wurm Online but the idea of giving a rating and a reward based on quality of furniture, and decoration is a really neat idea.

I think it could be a lot of fun, and give people a reason to travel if their buildings could be rated by other players based on their decorations during contest periods.  So a sign could be put outside the house, and during contests you could invite people to come visit your magnificent mansion and they would give it a rating. 

It could also be used to increase sleep bonus gains(not an actual suggestion, just throwing ideas around) while sleeping in a bed, and all sorts of other unique ideas you guys can come up with.  Still, I think giving something for well decorated homes is a great idea.

Edited by jonsnow

wurm is not as fast paced as those other games. and woud just turn people's houses into huge furniture hoarding rooms and add to server lag. and one's person style doesnt mean others will like. many love huge buildings. i live in a 2x2 with everything arranged so that i got access and to make sense. with path. but when allies visit my place they call me a mad hoarder cause they dont see my logic of storing. having rewards based on people rating your place would just benefit those with many alts / friends who can come and those of us who want to remain in a nice quite place would be getting negative effects from the lack of visitors...or people could give you a bad rating just cause they dont like you or for other petty reasons and this would spoil your wurm time by having slower gains than everyone else ... na... would be a form of griefing.

• Like 1

Yeah that's why the point system would have to be based on feedback from the community. This would prevent furniture hording, and people actually having to have interior decorating skills.

I've seen a lot of really impressive buildings/cities and it just saddens me that there's no real reward for people creating these masterpieces...    The massive amount of time spent on these projects needs a way to be rewarded for contributing to Wurm Online's culture and history.

I don't think you'd have to worry about alts, because you could have the owner of the building see the names of the people, and the ratings they give.  This would keep people pretty honest, the communities not so big that you don't know who's who...

Don't take the reward literal, I'm just referring to the idea as a whole.  Being able to stop by someones town, rate it and move on.  For example I'm in a city right now made entirely of marble, just admiring the structures.  I'm in awe, but no way to say so to the owner.

Edited by jonsnow

I have been told by the girls in my alliance that they will not ever be going into my house ever again, so I feel I may be at a disadvantage.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jonsnow said:

I've seen a lot of really impressive buildings/cities and it just saddens me that there's no real reward for people creating these masterpieces...

Bringing these projects to fruition is a reward in itself, and given that there is no other incentive than your personal gratification I think the people who built these were aware of and fine with that fact.

Also I live in what I call a "functional mess" for the most part, and even if I prettied it up there's virtually never anyone here to rate anything. And there are even more remote settlers than me. I fear this would go mostly unused, anyway.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 3

It’s really a simple change and could be used to notify others of you the best related locations as travel destinations to visit.  It’s just a ratings board nothing fancu

No thanks. Though I love building and decorating on my deed, this would start to turn a sandbox game into a popularity contest. There are many different tastes, and many choose function over aesthetics. I don't feel we need to measure how much talent a player has at decorating or how much patience they have for furniture placement.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2018 at 5:28 PM, jonsnow said:

I think it could be a lot of fun, and give people a reason to travel if their buildings could be rated by other players based on their decorations during contest periods.  So a sign could be put outside the house, and during contests you could invite people to come visit your magnificent mansion and they would give it a rating. 

Without any form of fast travel, I can't see how this would give anyone any more reason to travel in WO than they have now.  Especially on Xanadu.  It just takes too long to get anywhere.  And putting a sign in front of a building would be useless if it's highly unlikely that many (or any) would ever see the sign.  Maybe people in the few highly built up areas, but then only among the people who actually live in that area.  Too much hassle to get to any other areas.

This might be an interesting idea for a WU server that uses the highway portal system, but even with faster travel, I have to agree with Seriphina that it would turn into a popularity contest.  Landmark had something like this and that's exactly what happened.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

How is a popularity contest bad?  It gets people talking and communicating.  

1 hour ago, jonsnow said:

How is a popularity contest bad?  It gets people talking and communicating.  

It alienates entire chunks of the population and may further reduce the population of the game by creating what for some would be unachievable goals. It's a sandbox, if you personally want to have a better homes and gardens competition, by all means host one. If people wish to participate, fine. But don't make a popularity contest a compulsive feature of everyone's game.

• Like 1