On 6/21/2018 at 2:53 PM, Retrograde said:

This system will run fine on linux. The reason it won't run on older systems or mac is not a performance thing, but an openGL support thing, which linux supports fine. 

It is worth noting that on mac it is more complex than just a openGL support thing, but rather how some of the bits don't fit together nicely. While I got the impression that this is likely to be resolved eventually, it is good know that we will existing renderer will still be around.

12 hours ago, MrGARY said:

That seems weird, win10 is better than win7 performance wise.  I installed win10 on my laptop that I got back in maybe... 2008, and it runs better than win7 did.  It has the cpu power capable of shaking a flies left wing at least 3 times a minute, with an intel chipset capable of showing at least one of those shakes, and 2gb ram but yet it can still run firefox and wurm.  Or I can run 2 wurms, of course depending on the location but any general deed works.

It started when I was trying to do the upgrade to windows 10. That always failed on some driver related issue, I believe it was usb related. Clean install went fine, except for continued blue screens 1-2 minutes after startup. That turned out to be an Nvidia issue. Once windows is started it attempts to auto install a graphics driver if there isn't one yet, and that install blue screened every single time. I finally fixed that through safe mode, only for it not to recognise my sli setup. A single gtx 970 isn't quite good enough for a 3440x1440 resoultion, so that was a big problem. It also still gave blue screens a few times a day, or it just froze without a blue screen.

The fall update had also just come out, so I hoped that might help, but It didn't want to upgrade (again usb driver issues according to the error I was getting). So I did another clean install, which this time included said fall update from the start. Ran into all the same nividia issues yet again, but now I knew exactly how to fix them. Still no sli though, and I still got random blue screens and freezes a few times a day. Thankfully I had made a backup of my windows 7 install before starting on this adventure, so I just put that back after about a week of trying to get windows 10 stable.

I'm thinking it's the motherboard that's the problem (due to the usb driver related errors during my upgrade/update attempts). So for now I'll just wait till next year and get a Zen 2 cpu, together with a new motherboard. I'll probably also wait until the next gen grahpics cards are out as well, so I can replace my twin 970s with a single card. Sli is just too much trouble. I've currently got a 4th gen intel cpu, so both it and the motherboard aren't even that old, 2014ish, so I too had expected windows 10 to work. Definetly not getting another ASRock motherboard.

Windows 10 works great on my work laptop, no problems there at all and I like it a lot more than 7.

it's worth at this point, mentioning the preview client and Java 10

in my experience Win10 will work smooth on most brand computers - it is not because the parts used in them are better just the testing cycle is more robust maybe.

I have older DELL/HP desktops and several DELL laptops, Win10 runs very nicely on all. Also it is smooth on a machine I've built - older Core2 and ASUS board with low cost RAM and nvidia card.

Thank you devs for the awesome stuff. I always drop everything to read the latest Valrei International, and it's comforting to know that Wurm is continuing to be improved on.

On 6/20/2018 at 5:33 AM, Retrograde said:

This also removes the dynamic lights limiter system as all lights are rendered together, creating a much more ambient world.

Should I look forward to other rendering changes like tree and distant structure rendering? Maybe some changes to how distant land looks?

If your PC is overheating, that sounds like a problem with your PC's cooling, not with the software you're running. Your computer should be able to keep itself within a safe temperature range even when fully utilizing its hardware; that's sort of the point of cooling.

Hi Ostentatio,

IT Gremlin here, aka Baloo's IT support.

Right, firstly Baloo has the following:

ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Radeon RX 580 Series
Mesa 18.2.0-devel
ST2000DX002

646.7/16038.9MB

2400MHz DDR4 RAM 4GB x4 slots

Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 dual fan radiator.

Additional 3x 120mm case fans and separate PSU section.

Latest BIOS update

lm-sensors and psensors are rather handy and very thorough monitoring tools. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SensorInstallHowto

Running just this browser, with about 50 tabs:

• GPU ~46C
  • CPU ~32C
  • HDD ~34C
  • BIOS reports of pump speeds, fan speeds and such are all fine for an hour idle.

Shroud of the Avatar on the highest of settings only nets a change of +5-10C

Wurm on the lowest settings responds in a similar manner.

Going to a previously used settings profile, causes the game to lag and the temperate on the CPU to immediately spike to +66C. This is with liquid cooling! Had it been a stock machine then yes indeed it is possible that an Intel might have throttled and an old AMD might have cooked.

Honestly, I used to play Wurm and gave it up as a quirky failing old bloated mess with too much focus on art nonsense whilst launch bugs are still in the game, e.g. Zoning between maps knocking you out of your ship, freezing and slow downs when people enter local but aren't even within render distance, et cetera ad nauseum. The result is that I can not be bothered to sit here doing a trial and error through every setting of the game and Baloo is fairly happy to play on lowest settings.

However, there are clearly memory leaks, the longer the game runs, the more unstable it becomes and it can start affecting the operating system.

Again, this is launch bugs, the game has always failed to clear down assets properly; that you are no longer nor are going to call upon again (such as travelling across a server). Everyone with experience knows to re-log after awhile to clear it down.

This final problem, which is not settings based, is the most frustrating for a binge player such as Baloo. She gets very immersed and forgets to re-log when pottering around her deed and surrounding areas.

Cheers,

o7

Edited by Baloo

A PC within those specs should be able to handle anything that wurm throws at it regardless of settings, given they're comparitive to mine and I can handle three clients at 150+ fps on each. 

As to what ostentatio stated, temperatures shouldnt spike unless the cpu is under heavy load, but without cpu load and other memory stats temperatures mean little in proving any diagnosis.

Posting a client log in the technical help section will help us narrow down the causes and having her tech guru handy will make it infinitely easier to address 

As for other comments about bugs, we are in a constant state of improvement, narrowing down causes and eliminating them as we find them, our art and client developers have been working extremely hard in improving performance (this very thread highlighting a major performance improvement) and player reports help us greatly, because not everyone has equal experiences, i have two clients that have been running for 10 hours sitting at just over 2gb memory being used by each.

So if you could, post your log and we'll see if anything needs improving on that side. 

So I clicked on the derby video and within half a second an ad for Alienware showed with no option but to watch the whole ad...clever.  'Cause now I want it.  Anyway, the ambience looks great! And the derby looks like a lot of fun, wurmstyle.   Brings to mind the time I went deed searching with  a certain warlock who shall remain unnamed, and someone else travelling with us had a super fast horse while we could hardly keep up with the cart, and the warlock whispered "Well how about I just put a few arrows in that horse's ass and see how fast he goes then!" lol. (Obviously you can take the warlock out of PvP but you can never take the PvP out of the warlock...)

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 3

On 6/24/2018 at 7:09 AM, Baloo said:

Going to a previously used settings profile, causes the game to lag and the temperate on the CPU to immediately spike to +66C. This is with liquid cooling! Had it been a stock machine then yes indeed it is possible that an Intel might have throttled and an old AMD might have cooked.

If your CPU is "cooking" then that's a problem with cooling, period. A PC's cooling system, by design, should be able to maintain safe temperatures even with the CPU under load. A CPU at 100% capacity is still doing what it's designed to do, and if it's not keeping cool enough to not throttle itself, that sounds like an issue with the setup.

It sounds like the GPU is running a bit hot going by those numbers, and the CPU getting up to the 90s simply shouldn't be happening. I have a rather cheapo liquid cooler on the CPU, with some really basic case fans, and my mildly-overclocked i7 goesn't get higher than about 65°C while playing Wurm on fairly high settings.

Out of curiosity, what's the ambient temperature like? And is the PC getting enough airflow? No dust in the case?

And do the mesa drivers do proper hardware acceleration in this context, including GLSL support, or is it doing software rendering?

Edited by Ostentatio

Try to intergrate jmonkey engine? That will be about 10x performance up. Or u using same old engine and boost lights will mean drop fps to half? http://jmonkeyengine.org

Edited by ftoz