26zjfEi.png

Kalaheo Escape, P14 Xan - absy

Greetings wurmians! 

Today we bring you a few reveals including a new rendering system, the launch of the Valrei Entertainment Network, and a little bit more, so lets get into it! 

But first..

Patch Notes

Spoiler
  • New: Added current titles for occultist and meditation levels on the /titles menu and fixed an issue to have them show/hide immediately upon sending.
  • New: Ability to switch dirt to sand and sand to dirt without having to drop the sand/dirt to turn one tile.
    • This will only turn tiles between dirt (not grass, not packed) and sand.
    • It consumes a whole unit (20kg) per tile.
    • It does not give any skill whatsoever.
    • It's classed under the terraform permission on deeds.
  • New: You can now remove deleted players from your ignore list by issuing the /ignore command to see if you have unknown? on your list then issuing /ignore again to verify they have been removed.
  • Change:  Updated the Lord of War achievement description to better indicate the quantity of items needed for the achievement.

• Bugfix: Spear tips and weapons heads (blades) will now also transfer rarity, runes and enchants to their completed item.
  • Bugfix: Creature cage will no longer change ownership when another person on the permissions list loads it into a vehicle.
  • Bugfix: Artifacts can no longer spawn in a  HoTA Zone.
  • Bugfix: Fixed more text and spelling errors.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue where wine barrels would overflow when you attempted to seal them while having max carry weight in your inventory even when the barrel was in a rack or on the ground.
  • Bugfix: Liquids with a metal type can no longer be smelted.
  • Bugfix: Enchanted turrets will no longer decay on deed on pve servers.
  • Bugfix: Fixed the blank personal goal window and goal not completing when a server transfer was involved.
  • Bugfix: Those who completed their goals but they did not register because of the epic/freedom transfer bug will receive the winning of the game stuff upon login.
  • Bugfix: Changed achievement text for digging up brilliant gem to refer to it being dug up not mined.
  • Bugfix: Fix for some champion mission creatures being tiny.
  • Bugfix: Fix for not being able to drag your archaeology journal back into your inventory from another container.
  • Bugfix: Fix for archaeological reports  with deed names which contain apostrophes.
  • Bugfix: The Troll King will not drown his followers if he leads them to water.
  • Bugfix: Paper/papyrus/reports inside books and archaeological journals will now cost 1i each (similar to the almanac).
  • Bugfix: Anchors can now properly be made from all metal types.
  • Client Bugfix: Items won’t hide under terrain in certain places.

Leave A Light On

We've shared our desire to improve the overall visual feel of Wurm over the years, along with major improvements in performance and we'll be taking some more gigantic leaps with that soon! 

We're working on introducing a new client renderer that has significantly improved lighting performance, reducing flickering and massively boosting FPS on most systems. This also removes the dynamic lights limiter system as all lights are rendered together, creating a much more ambient world.

U1jUfyA.jpg

WzKSgXZ.jpg

mU4dfex.jpg

YlFINHU.jpg

RvATxUh.jpg

You'll notice some of these shots are from the live game, and one of Glasshollow, a place well known for taxing the most powerful of systems, we use it as a performance testing ground in a few occasions and this one wound up with significant improvements over the current stable and preview clients! 

Due to this not being supported by older systems (pre 2010 or so) and Macs, We'll be including this as a client option for players to disable and play on the existing renderer.

Valrei Entertainers!
A few newses (totally a word) in the making, we're finally rolling out the start of our Valrei Entertainment Network! We will be starting with a select few and building it up, ensuring we can shape this how we want and provide the support we want. Initial support will be cross promotion via social media, a special ingame title (all of my suggestions were apparently too lame) , and may include further things down the line such as sneak peek news for players to check out, and giveaways for you! 
The initial members that we can announce are below, but we'll be reaching out and inducting a few more over the next week when we can get in touch with them first!
The current members are:

• Emoo
  • Punishlife
  • Fabricant

We'll be working with them to create this platform and make sure it's the best it can be, so make sure to show them support!

WU Beta
With the dust settling from the anniversary update we're going to begin working towards a WU beta, aiming for internal stability testing and then a beta launch, from there we'll be launching it live, so expect it soon! 

Decoration time
As announced in last news, we're doing a decorating competition! 
Simply decorate a room by putting things on surfaces (not unidentified fragments!) and submit your designs to this thread, the grand winner will receive 2 supreme archaeology statues of their choosing, second place receiving 2 rare, and third place receiving 1 rare. We'll also be including a rare marble table to the fourth and fifth place, so get designing! 

Title Suggestions

There's been a huge amount of suggested titles and plenty of discussion about them, which is awesome! 

We'll be sifting through the suggestions and categorizing them all, choosing which ones we want to use and will be implementing them! If you have ones you would like to suggest it's not too late, get in quick!

The great derby of 1075
Last weekend saw the great derby of 1075, with players joining IRC to take part in the quizzes for a chance to win an entry ticket to a race on Golden Valley! 

With our ten entrants: Briwerion, moirai, jaz, joelle, ostentatio, oblivionnreaver, klaa, williamwierd, rocklobstar, and Thorakkanath the race was setup, and was a really fun event, with the winners being Moirai, Briwerion, and then Jaz. 

To catch the full stream, we took our new VEN member Punishlife to golden valley to stream it, and check out the highlights video here!:

That's it from us this week, we'll be working on a few things, adjusting and adding some player suggestions as well (saromans been busy all week learning table making etiquette!) for the next patch, so stay tuned for that! Until then though.. Keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 15

How soon for new rendering system?

Can't wait to see all the lights on!

Really liking that grid of colored lights on the test server!

Not even a Happy Midsummer, and this is supposed to be a swedish game :(

Happy Midsummer to all btw, it's on friday!

• Like 2

I'm really excited on the new rendering (maybe I'll need a new graphics card though).

Hmm... will it run on Linux?

@CecciSo this week is THE summer up on the north? :P Happy Midsummer!

• Like 1

Is there a limit to how many entries we can post for the stuff on stuff? I have lots of stuff on lots of other stuff. How many stuff on stuff pictures can I post?

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

26zjfEi.png

Kalaheo Escape, P14 Xan - absy

Valrei Entertainers!
A few newses (totally a word) in the making, we're finally rolling out the start of our Valrei Entertainment Network! We will be starting with a select few and building it up, ensuring we can shape this how we want and provide the support we want. Initial support will be cross promotion via social media, a special ingame title (all of my suggestions were apparently too lame) , and may include further things down the line such as sneak peek news for players to check out, and giveaways for you! 
The initial members that we can announce are below, but we'll be reaching out and inducting a few more over the next week when we can get in touch with them first!
The current members are:

• Emoo
  • Punishlife
  • Fabricant

We'll be working with them to create this platform and make sure it's the best it can be, so make sure to show them support!

XRenMxh.png

• Like 5

is draw distance going to be fixed or increased? everything's a tree.

Edited by Steveleeb

@Retrograde Can you give any FPS numbers for the tests that were ran?  I know everyone has a different PC setup, but any numbers can help to relay improvement expectations even just a bit :)   Thanks!

WTB increased render distance. :D

16 hours ago, Jaz said:

I'm really excited on the new rendering (maybe I'll need a new graphics card though).

@CecciSo this week is THE summer up on the north? :P Happy Midsummer!

The longest night just passed :)

20 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Due to this not being supported by older systems (pre 2010 or so) and Macs, We'll be including this as a client option for players to disable and play on the existing renderer.

19 hours ago, Jaz said:

Currently I am using v.low settings, as higher ones overheat my new computer which runs on Linux.  To make "place" work, had to turn on GSGL which then made my FPS drop to under 30.

With GSGL off, my FPS is 60.  As Jaz asks, "will it run on Linux?"

Mobo: ASUSTeK model: ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
Hexa core AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core (12)
Radeon RX 580 Series (AMD POLARIS10)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8
Network Card: Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST2000DX002 size: 2000.4GB
Memory: 7114.7/16040.0MB (4x DIMMs)

Would appreciate more testing of updates to ensure that they work properly with Linux pc's....

Baloo, your hardware should easily handle Wurm in higher settings. I have a way lower config (including a crapcheap display card) and running on Ubuntu 18.04 64bit with Oracle Java  installed.

I usually get quite smooth gameplay - except very built out areas and/or tons of toons (and lately thick forest tax my fps very much).

I have GLSL, all rendering distances set to extreme, but all shadows disabled (that helped a lot), and dynamic lighting limited to 4 sources.

With the current stable client I lost the ability to run more than 3 clients though, regardless of how low the settings are.

Do you have Oracle Java installed or are you using the alternative ones that are usually packed with Linux distros?

I'm on Intel/Nvidia and not on AMD platform like you so maybe something about drivers/linux support?

Spoiler

*-memory
          description: System Memory
          physical id: 7
          slot: System board or motherboard
          size: 16GiB
     *-cpu
          description: CPU
          product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 10
          bus info: cpu@0
          version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
          slot: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
          size: 3365MHz
          capacity: 3800MHz
           *-display
                description: VGA compatible controller
                product: GK107 [GeForce GT 640]
                vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: a1
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
                resources: irq:27 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

Edited by Jaz

Awesome update! Always exciting to see such big lists of "Bugfixes", game right now is going strength to strength! 

For anyone wondering where you can find, Punishlife, Fabricant or myself on Twitch I'll throw the links down below:

• Like 6

Still waiting for non-rune dyable weapons, backpacks, quivers, shoulders, etc.

3 hours ago, Baloo said:

Currently I am using v.low settings, as higher ones overheat my new computer which runs on Linux.

If your PC is overheating, that sounds like a problem with your PC's cooling, not with the software you're running. Your computer should be able to keep itself within a safe temperature range even when fully utilizing its hardware; that's sort of the point of cooling.

It's also entirely possible, depending on your hardware, that your GPU/CPU are limiting their own performance due to high heat.

To reiterate, nothing about Wurm can cause your computer to overheat unless it's already prone to overheating, in which case you should take a second look at your cooling situation.

• Like 1

This system will run fine on linux. The reason it won't run on older systems or mac is not a performance thing, but an openGL support thing, which linux supports fine. 

• Like 1

ha, glasshollow market!  

now you do all the updates when we already remove half of lamps duo lag :D

but we still got em somewhere.

On 6/20/2018 at 5:33 AM, Retrograde said:

I want to know more about this image.  Are those mine lights showing through a thin layer of surface rock?  I can't see any lighting fixtures there on the surface.

RvATxUh.jpg

On 6/21/2018 at 3:53 PM, Retrograde said:

This system will run fine on linux. The reason it won't run on older systems or mac is not a performance thing, but an openGL support thing, which linux supports fine. 

I noticed "pre 2010 or so". Windows 7 was released in 2009. Would it work on windows 7?

From what I can see with the OpenGL Extensions Viewer I've got OpenGL version 4.6, which from what I can find is the latest version. So I assume I'm good?

2 hours ago, Ecrir said:

I noticed "pre 2010 or so". Windows 7 was released in 2009. Would it work on windows 7?

From what I can see with the OpenGL Extensions Viewer I've got OpenGL version 4.6, which from what I can find is the latest version. So I assume I'm good?

Windows 7 should be fine from what I know, but due to the low security of Windows 7 you should upgrade to Windows 10 as soon as possible anyways.

Edited by Sklo:D

2 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Windows 7 should be fine from what I know, but due to the low security of Windows 7 you should upgrade to Windows 10 as soon as possible anyways.

Unfortunatly windows 10 isn't stable on my current hardware, I've tried, so I'm stuck with 7 until I buy a new PC.

38 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

Unfortunatly windows 10 isn't stable on my current hardware, I've tried, so I'm stuck with 7 until I buy a new PC.

That seems weird, win10 is better than win7 performance wise.  I installed win10 on my laptop that I got back in maybe... 2008, and it runs better than win7 did.  It has the cpu power capable of shaking a flies left wing at least 3 times a minute, with an intel chipset capable of showing at least one of those shakes, and 2gb ram but yet it can still run firefox and wurm.  Or I can run 2 wurms, of course depending on the location but any general deed works.

26 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

That seems weird, win10 is better than win7 performance wise.  I installed win10 on my laptop that I got back in maybe... 2008, and it runs better than win7 did.  It has the cpu power capable of shaking a flies left wing at least 3 times a minute, with an intel chipset capable of showing at least one of those shakes, and 2gb ram but yet it can still run firefox and wurm.  Or I can run 2 wurms, of course depending on the location but any general deed works.

There's a lot of hardware out there compatible with Windows 7 but not compatible and/or rather finicky with Windows 10.