Sign in to follow this  
whereami

Cannot create a mine - Invisible Cave Walls

Just to be clear; This is what I am talking about, in the screenshot.

Capture2.png

No matter what I do, every time I try to create a mine on my own WU server I get one of these. I now have three of them, and they are all unfixable as far as I can tell.

HOW do you create a mine in WU without it bugging the #### out?!?! This is horrendously frustrating. I thought at first it had something to do with the fact that the first two tiles I mined out while a GM, done with the Ebony Wand. But then I stripped my GM powers from myself and I still get the same issue.

Better yet, how do I FIX these "mines" to get rid of them!? What do I do? >.<

Edited by whereami

Thanks for taking a look Brash. I didn't think to check the steam forums as I thought most discussion would take place here.

I'd really prefer not to wipe my server if I can avoid it.. I've done a lot of work on it.

Surely a GM or Dev from WO would know what to do, as I've seen these once or twice on official servers as well. I just want to know how to get rid of them and prevent it from happening in future.

Edited by whereami

If it keeps happening, it seems like your cave layer is messed up. Put a mine door over the void and bash door should fix that one. But if that layer is messed up might need to rebuild it.

I probably should have added this to the OP but adding a minedoor and bashing it away does nothing to resolve the problem. Nothing changes. I have done this probably 30 times now, even used an actual minedoor item rather than the GM command. Nothing.

How does one reset the cavelayer without affecting the surface world? If that is possible, that is the method I would greatly prefer to use.

In case the information is relevant, this is on the default creative server. No custom map, no mods.

Edited by whereami

I heard rumours that a server restart has some kind of "hole checking" which should close this bugged tiles, but I never tested that myself.

Other solution which works for sure:

1) Add a mine door to the hole

2) Activate your ebony wand on a GM char with at least power level 4+ => right click the mine door =>  ... => Change Terrain => Select "Rock"

That's not an actual hole if being created by making a mine, its most likely just a jacked up flags.map. If its a new map, delete the flags.map in the server directory, and have the server regenerate it. That should fix the issue. I cant remember right off what flags.map controls, probably just botanize and forage flags and something to do with mines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ausimus said:

That's not an actual hole if being created by making a mine, its most likely just a jacked up flags.map. If its a new map, delete the flags.map in the server directory, and have the server regenerate it. That should fix the issue. I cant remember right off what flags.map controls, probably just botanize and forage flags and something to do with mines.

I know it is not a hole, just wanted to simplify things for the non-technicians. My solution should work and btw this problem first appeard after more tile wide cave entrances have been introduced.

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

Ausimus, that did it. Deleting the Flags.Map file got rid of not only the holes, but the bugged minedoor mentioned below as well! Thank you! :D

Sklo, I tried what you mentioned first, and I was initially quite hopeful, as I could see the tileborder transition change to Rock as I changed the terrain type by the minedoor's context menu, BUT I was then presented with a new problem and that is that the minedoor no longer registers as a minedoor but as raw terrain, and thusly cannot be destroyed. There was no destroy option, or remove minedoor option in the context menu for the minedoor. It thought it was part of the terrain I suppose. And trying to convert the terrain below the door back into a Hole, presented me with this event message:

[03:36:09] You decide to change nothing.

It could not be converted back into a Hole so I could remove the minedoor.

That method also, unfortunately, doesn't fix the problem and prevent new holes from being created when mining, though, see Ausimus's solution above.

Edited by whereami

17 minutes ago, whereami said:

Sklo, I tried what you mentioned first, and I was initially quite hopeful, as I could see the tileborder transition change to Rock as I changed the terrain type by the minedoor's context menu, BUT I was then presented with a new problem and that is that the minedoor no longer registers as a minedoor but as raw terrain, and thusly cannot be destroyed. There was no destroy option, or remove minedoor option in the context menu for the minedoor. It thought it was part of the terrain I suppose. And trying to convert the terrain below the door back into a Hole, presented me with this event message:

[03:36:09] You decide to change nothing.

It could not be converted back into a Hole so I could remove the minedoor.

That method also, unfortunately, doesn't fix the problem and prevent new holes from being created when mining, though, see Ausimus's solution above.

Tunneling would have helped. 

• Like 1

Just a note, be sure to always turn your server off properly, this happens to me occasionally on my personal test when I just end the server process and don't let it do its normal shutdown handling fully.  

For the minedoor, the ebony wand can change single tiles type, use the wand right click the tile Special-> Change terrain.

• Like 1

Had this problem resurface on server Version 1.9.1.5   

IF you put a mine door down to repaint the rock. With your Ebony wand.  and it leaves graphical artifacts.. these will disappear on server restart... "PAINT THE ROCK* Under the minedoor.. FIRST... before shutting down the server.

<Stop your server *PROPERLY*> delete the flags.map file   Located : /serverfiles/Creative

Then Restart your server as normal.. 

Enjoy your mining ability should be restored.. with no more broken tiles.. on tunneling.  

Edited by BigDawgLoKi