Sign in to follow this  
Wilczan

Higher climbing makes you climb faster

Currently higher climbing only reducing stamina cost wich can be easily overcome by players with lower climbing (refresh for priests, sandwiches or runes for non-priest etc).

Logical thing is that person with high climbing gonna climb faster. So suggestion is to increase climbing speed according to climbing skill.

• Like 3

I read the title, and thought, "altitude training! that makes sense!". :P

But yes, +1 to reworking the climbing skill somehow.

Alternatively: Have it reduce the impact of weight. Carried weight seems EXTREMELY influential when climbing, and climbing skill negating a little bit of that penalty would be nice.

• Like 8

I'll throw in another: Rather than applying a general speed boost, allow the skill to mitigate the speed penalty of climbing on steep inclinations. So that high climbing really shines in rough terrain rather than having a maybe very subtle and not too noticeable speed boost across the board. (Because even if one can earn a general 100% speed buff, it'll still be terribly slow at a 300 slope when that's where a skilled climber should really be able to distinguish themselves.)

EDIT: Speaking of rough terrain, landing on steep one while climbing drains your stamina. A lot. This could also be mitigated by skill.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 7

It does feel like climbing could be a much more integrated thing in the game world. Rather than a toggle, you simply see an indicator flash on when you're climbing a steep enough slope, and flashes off when the slope is more manageable. It would also remove the need to guess while climbing whether this next slope is shallow enough to rest or not.

+1 This would make life much better for those of us who love to live on mountains.  

Give something for climbers. Currently I have 60 climbing, and I do not see much difference between me and Mag priest with goatshape and 20 climbing.

• Like 2

Climbing skill is even more useless than you think.

Climbing's only function is this:  when you have low stamina and are moving with climbing mode on, you start to periodically make skill checks that increase in difficulty as your stamina approaches 0.  As soon as you fail one of these checks, you lose your grip and climbing mode is turned off.

That's it.  Climbing skill has no effect on movement speed while climbing, or stamina drain while climbing.  It probably could do almost anything else and would be better than it is now.

• Like 5

this is why i never bothered to train it... no reason to

was about to say, pretty sure climbing doesn't even help stamina. Then I saw Noizhead explain it. If it wasn't for climbing skill giving titles people may want, I would say remove the skill entirely and add rope climbing tools available by ropemaking skill. But I can't say no to more climbing speed. +1

On 7/23/2018 at 6:06 PM, Yiraia said:

add rope climbing tools available by ropemaking skill

that's a great idea 

but doing anything would mean for the developers to do something. +1

Edited by Leilue