Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

Allow priests to complete personal goals

3 hours ago, Roccandil said:

I don't mind leaving changes for the new system, and I thought the devs did a good job of cleaning up issues with the current system.

What really bothers me is this idea that priests -shouldn't- be able to complete goals. That's crazy! :P Imagine developers creating an RPG touting 15 playable classes, but wait, only 1 of them can actually -win-.

They'd be laughed out of the industry. :P

Nothing is stopping you from completing those goals. You have multiple options.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

Nothing is stopping you from completing those goals. You have multiple options.

If I switch classes, yes. And that's the point.

2 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

If I switch classes, yes. And that's the point.

Go to freedom with the account.

That's -still- switching classes. Not to mention starting a new character build.

6 hours ago, Roccandil said:

That's -still- switching classes. Not to mention starting a new character build.

But it IS possible. And achievable. It just requires work

Before it was impossible. I guess you have a better chance to complete it now no?

59 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

But it IS possible. And achievable. It just requires work

Before it was impossible. I guess you have a better chance to complete it now no?

Bad game design aside, "possible" still doesn't matter, because creating a new toon on Epic to get Winner is easier. Spam a few toons, pick one with easy goals, spend a couple silver, easy tome.

If I'm going to work, might as well work efficiently, hey?

12 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Bad game design aside, "possible" still doesn't matter, because creating a new toon on Epic to get Winner is easier. Spam a few toons, pick one with easy goals, spend a couple silver, easy tome.

Then do it?  Everyone else is doing it, theres no reason you can't unless its more attractive in your eyes to just complain you can't because of barriers you choose to put in place.  We all know this system is going the way of the dodo as you even stated in the OP, so I'm not really sure what the point of anything else is unless it will be fun in the meantime to complain/try to change a dying system.  Work with the system given until it's replaced, your call if you want to get the tomes or miss out because of stubbornness.

On 6/14/2018 at 6:55 PM, Roccandil said:

Everyone else depriests 100-faith toons to do goals? I had no idea. :P

Why didn't you do them before getting 100 faith? It's personal so you know it's up to you if you wanna do it or not. I don't think it should bend because you buy a priest with 100 faith and have 1 goal left to do of repair fences. Make the choice.

• Like 1

You know what, *palm* to it; time for a brief lesson in game design.

Wurm online is a western mmorpg; in this context it means it largely relies upon a player's personal investment in their character to maintain interest and immersion.  Folks get invested in their character and the home he/she creates (they spent long enough getting there!)

• Priest restrictions; VERY annoying, and slightly immersion breaking as some are contrary to all logic ("god says you can't make a torch, go wander in the dark").  The thing is, as much as I think they need reworking, they serve a purpose (they allow priests to act as an additional "pay gate" to content, as most priest players are forced to also pay for a premium alt, and the more invested non-priest players pay for a priest alt as priest players are too rare to rely upon).  This is annoying design (and one rapidly causing an exodus from the MMORPG scene), but it might not constitute bad design as it serves a purpose.
  • Being unable to "win" the game without "cheating" (abusing a mechanic such as de-priest then re-priest) is a very solid immersion breaker; it would be akin to changing your class/race in any other mmorpg just to complete a quest (something no-one but a hardcore achiever would do).  This serves no purpose by itself that I can see, save to limit the number of tomes ingame (stop folks farming them on priest alts).  Though, this raises the question as to why priest goals would be assumed easier than base game goals, a point for a different time as it highlights a core issue in priest design (mono-path).

In essence, it is detrimental design that alienates a larger percentage of the player base than it appeases (the majority of players it alienates take one look at the community's attitude to the matter and tick the "nope" box for a forum account).  It goes against the core design of wurm's game type, and adds absolutely nothing (unless the goal is to empty the WO server).

• Like 1

a way it could work for everyone is once a month we can have the ability to re-roll a personal goal. only 1 goal would change. randomly picked from the ones not yet complete. and cooldown of 30 days so cant abuse it.. goal would be same difficulty as the one that was changed (no turning a diamond hard into a silver this way). might also benefit everyone (mining a 90 gem is a pain for everyone not a miner for example, and its too much relying on dumb luck imo...not actual work milestones)

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, Gladiator said:

Nobody should have special treatment over others. The fact that you have priests on Epic but don't have freedom skills is your choice, being a priest by itself is your choice. I dont see the problem here.

The entire freedom player base has always gotten special treatment over any PvP server. If you don't want anyone to have special treatment over others then you can start by advocating to turn the Freedom-Epic transfer off. That is equality after all. Give us the same skill system and make it both ways. Thank you! Don't want to hear anything else about " special treatment". It's not a choice for us. It's a developer choice.

In regards to the actual thread: The personal goals could use a bit more work to make it a bit more completable for some priests, but they are removing the system eventually anyway so I don't see a point to even bother changing something they will remove.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:51 PM, Mclavin said:

Why didn't you do them before getting 100 faith? It's personal so you know it's up to you if you wanna do it or not. I don't think it should bend because you buy a priest with 100 faith and have 1 goal left to do of repair fences. Make the choice.

The goals were re-rolled -after- they were 100-faith priests. Before, they had obviously impossible goals like planeswalker.

And I didn't buy -any- 100-faith priests. :P

On 6/16/2018 at 12:38 PM, MrGARY said:

Everyone else is doing it, theres no reason you can't unless its more attractive in your eyes to just complain you can't because of barriers you choose to put in place.

Giving an imping 99 goal to a priest isn't a barrier I constructed, and I'm pointing that out for the sake of the -next- promised system. I'm not expecting a change in this one.