Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

Allow priests to complete personal goals

The following goals are impossible (or very punishing) for priests to complete:

- Repair walls/fences/floors

- Mine an exquisite gem (for any non-mining priest)

- Imp an item

- (and maybe more; those are ones I've gotten)

This seems arbitrary and at odds with the recent move to make personal goals actually doable. If we can't see a fix with the current system, I'd at least like to see this corrected in the hinted-at replacement.

• Like 1

I do believe these missions can be done on Freedom or epic whichever the character is not a priest on.

• Like 1

+1 from me

5 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

I do believe these missions can be done on Freedom or epic whichever the character is not a priest on.

Can we make a non-priest grind 99 channeling?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

True, but that can add a disproportionate amount of difficulty. Since my toons are priests on Epic, mining a 90QL gem or imping a 99 QL item means an incredible grind on Freedom to just do -one- thing.

I'd rather just spam roll new toons till I got a nice, easy set of goals. And that's the point: if I want to complete goals, is it really good for the game to push me in that direction?

So what do you simply plan to reroll those missions on a priest account?

• Like 1

or you know depriest and grind it like everyone else does

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

So what do you simply plan to reroll those missions on a priest account?

That would work for me.

2 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

or you know depriest and grind it like everyone else does

Everyone else depriests 100-faith toons to do goals? I had no idea. :P

It would have to be a reroll or you would threaten a ton of balance.

I am also getting extremely sick of this Tome entitlement syndrome ever since winning the game because more viable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roccandil said:

Everyone else depriests 100-faith toons to do goals? I had no idea. :P

It literally is not a big deal to depriest a 100 faith priest, I have a friend who has done it multiple times, and for a free tome its worth the trouble, stop whining about every little thing in wurm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FranktheTank said:

It would have to be a reroll or you would threaten a ton of balance.

I am also getting extremely sick of this Tome entitlement syndrome ever since winning the game because more viable.

You could just remove all such goals when someone becomes a priest?  And give them priest only goals; even if they depriest later ^_^

Everyone doesn't wish to depriest a 100 faith priest.  I have been told that you can go to chaos to do the goals a priest cannot do without depriesting.

8 minutes ago, Pashka said:

Everyone doesn't wish to depriest a 100 faith priest.  I have been told that you can go to chaos to do the goals a priest cannot do without depriesting.

That requires a champ, and its not a big deal to hit 100 faith, I have 2 priests at 100 and its just a few sermons in a sermon group, no biggie, especially when you can now build instant sermon groups at the cheap price of 2s each alt.

Only alternative I see to this is getting rid of all priest restrictions and letting anyone be a priest. Don't think wurm could afford the loss of so many prem alt accounts though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

you can now build instant sermon groups at the cheap price of 2s each alt.

And there it is

17 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

You could just remove all such goals when someone becomes a priest?  And give them priest only goals; even if they depriest later ^_^

Not a bad idea, but they would be as difficult as non-priest goals.

Enchant an item to 106 power (or whatever max is)

Remove 1000 negative traits with Genesis

Etc

• Like 1

For some reason when I keep reading threads like this I just see player entitlement "I want my tomes, I want my wands, and I want it the easiest way possible".

I wish they only got rid of the absolutely insane goals like demigod instead of all the tome ones like become a mage.

Due to this conclusion I feel I can no longer objectively look at threads like this without some bias. So I can neither plus or minus 1.

I will say this, any changes made to priests for the sake of obtaining a magic book or slime is absolutely insane.

Any changes in order to make "winning" even easier is absolutely ludicrous and comically ironic due to the very namesake "winning the game".

And finally, everyone is swarming around like mad dogs trying to get the tomes they so desperately value, the majority of which wish to sell the charges and that is sick.

Edited by FranktheTank
  • Like 5

Priests have always had down sides to them that was the entire balance of the giving them such strong abilities over normal non priest accounts.  It's not something forced onto an account, its optional and with that option come some negative and some positive things.

• Like 3

Nobody should have special treatment over others. The fact that you have priests on Epic but don't have freedom skills is your choice, being a priest by itself is your choice. I dont see the problem here.

• Like 1

There is also the option of making a solid statement and just letting one's premium drop; lets you complete most goals, just takes a bit lot longer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darklords said:

Priests have always had down sides to them that was the entire balance of the giving them such strong abilities over normal non priest accounts.  It's not something forced onto an account, its optional and with that option come some negative and some positive things.

When I created my priest toons, most goal sets were impossible (planeswalker/etc.), so I didn't even think about it, because there was nothing to consider: the goals were impossible with or without priesting.

The latest updates, however, were clearly aimed at bugfixing impossible/impractical goals and making them doable. With that in mind, I went and looked at my toons, only to find that, hey, guess what, my priests still can't do them. :( (It didn't help that at least one of my priests actually rolled something doable after the first re-roll, only to get a 99 imping goal on the second re-roll. :( )

Effectively, most of my priest toons are shut out of that side of the game, which I find disappointing. Yeah, I could jump through crazy hoops, but why? I've already gotten two tomes on Epic, far more easily and efficiently (and if the Valrei scenario bugs get worked out, maybe I could get more), and I don't care about getting tomes on Freedom.

Mostly, I'd just like to be able to finish the goals. :( (With me, it's more of an OCD thing, I think. :P I'm one of those players who -hates- to have unfinished quests in their journal!)

11 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

Effectively, most of my priest toons are shut out of that side of the game, which I find disappointing. Yeah, I could jump through crazy hoops, but why? I've already gotten two tomes on Epic, far more easily and efficiently (and if the Valrei scenario bugs get worked out, maybe I could get more), and I don't care about getting tomes on Freedom.

Waahhhhhhhhhhhh, I want tomes for free, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah listen to me, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, omg no one is listening, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, maybe i should quit wurm and go somehow else, wurm unlimited is that way ----->

• Like 1

I've depriested two 100 faith toons to win since the change and completed imp 99ql on a third which already had the skill to do it so they only lost .1 faith.

You do not get to have your cake and eat it too around here so make a choice... which do you want more, if you want your priests more then you can live with that choice.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, SmeJack said:

I've depriested two 100 faith toons to win since the change and completed imp 99ql on a third which already had the skill to do it so they only lost .1 faith.

You do not get to have your cake and eat it too around here so make a choice... which do you want more, if you want your priests more then you can live with that choice.

Meh. This notion that "priests should have a harder time with goals" is absurd, which you demonstrate, since you -stopped- being a priest to complete the goals. That's horrible game design: goals should be class-specific, they should -never- force the player into a particular class; the player's class should be the player's choice.

I assumed that was simply an unfortunate consequence of the developers implementing a 70% solution to fix most of the goals (which I appreciate), but if it's actually policy to say people should be -depriesting- toons to complete goals, then I suspect forum policy forbids me from saying what I think of the developers (and you all). :P

At any rate, I'd already given up on goals on my priests. I didn't care. Rather, the developers got my hopes up with the goals update, and then dashed them.

No doubt I'll be as cynical as you all one day. :P

Oh, and to offer a constructive suggestion, were it my game, I'd do branching goals, such that, for example, each player would get four diamond goals, two crafter and two priest, and as long as the player completed any two of them, they would win.

That would leave the player free to choose whatever path they wanted, and not force them into a class they didn't want to be.

@Roccandil I agree with you that game design arround goals and priests is horrible. You also have good ideas which i agree with some of them. But mentality of people is amazing, first most people cant complete goals at all, now when they complete it on main accounts they feel entitled to complete it on 10 of their alts at easiest way possible. People had create fantastic and now they wine how repair 6k fences or make 5k is hard (ffs you can even do it on unprem alts if you put your time to it). Feels like devs shouldnt have done fix in first place and just replaced it with brand new system with goal sets generated by playstyle, and more meaningful goals that will trigger use for stuff we don't use now that much(like everyone is crazy about grapes now, imagine create 7k litters of beer, or create 500l of each beer). So i think changes should be left for new system, and be happy that there is a way doing it on freedom/epic, like i plan to do with my Nahjo priest who has build ship and imp item goal

I'd much rather grind carpentry on my priest for the 99ql item goal, with all kinds of penalties, than try to find 100 wild unicorns...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kochinac said:

@Roccandil I agree with you that game design arround goals and priests is horrible. You also have good ideas which i agree with some of them. But mentality of people is amazing, first most people cant complete goals at all, now when they complete it on main accounts they feel entitled to complete it on 10 of their alts at easiest way possible. People had create fantastic and now they wine how repair 6k fences or make 5k is hard (ffs you can even do it on unprem alts if you put your time to it). Feels like devs shouldnt have done fix in first place and just replaced it with brand new system with goal sets generated by playstyle, and more meaningful goals that will trigger use for stuff we don't use now that much(like everyone is crazy about grapes now, imagine create 7k litters of beer, or create 500l of each beer). So i think changes should be left for new system, and be happy that there is a way doing it on freedom/epic, like i plan to do with my Nahjo priest who has build ship and imp item goal

I don't mind leaving changes for the new system, and I thought the devs did a good job of cleaning up issues with the current system.

What really bothers me is this idea that priests -shouldn't- be able to complete goals. That's crazy! :P Imagine developers creating an RPG touting 15 playable classes, but wait, only 1 of them can actually -win-.

They'd be laughed out of the industry. :P

4 hours ago, Shmeric said:

I'd much rather grind carpentry on my priest for the 99ql item goal, with all kinds of penalties, than try to find 100 wild unicorns...

I believe Elevation actually has a quite a population of wild unicorns. You'd need to camp near the spawns, but I bet it's doable (especially if you're on Freedom and can just portal to Epic).