Sign in to follow this  
Tilda

[Bug] Unfinished Boat Stern vanishes from crafting window

As the title says, it vanishes and has to be put back in the window every 3-4 actions, 5 at most. It is still there in my inventory, or on the ground, it just disappears from the craft window.

It's an unfinished stern you're just attaching pieces to, or a finished stern you're attaching to a boat?

Oops sorry I didn't specify, it is the unfinished stern being built. Finished that one but it was a pita :D

I just experienced it too, making a sailboat one of these days. It's very annoying / surprising.

Also, at least one other player has reported it in CA, also while building some ship.

I've realized it happens when the item being built changes material type eg. from birch to pine if you add a part made of different material. 

• Like 1

Ah I was wondering if that was the problem Jaz, had it happen while building a large bar table and I grabbed random plank types from my bsb to use on it and 3x I had to stick it back into the crafting window. Tested on a corbita using various tenon types did not happen.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:08 PM, JakeRivers said:

Ah I was wondering if that was the problem Jaz,

Had the same issue while making some large crates with a stack of mixed wood types - but the queued actions continued.

This is happening to all kinds of things and I can not see the pattern of why.

Real annoying.

Added to the list.  Thanks for the details.  I got it to happen when the woodtype changed from one to another.  Thank you Jaz for that hint!

Yes thanks Jaz, that makes sense now of course I was using a mixture of wood types :)

Hi.  I'll add the bsb's I'm working on.   No change of plank type but the bsb drops out of the crafting window.  Seems to happen more in the first round of attaches (I can currently do 6 actions in the crafting window).

Well, all the planks are of the same type but the started bsb IS of a different type.  I started 20 bsbs and had used firwood when I did that.  I'm continuing with pine planks, so there is a mat change on the first plank attached but then the mat type of the bsb would then be pine.  This would explain why I'm only seeing it drop out on the first round of attaches.

Edited by Morhedron
Additional Info

This can actually be a useful bug for finishing things like support beams, removing many clicks. :) I'd create them with (say) birchwood logs, then add the stack to the crafting window, add shafts of a different wood type, and because the support beams dropped out of the window one at a time, I could attach shafts to the entire stack just hitting "continue".

Then, I'd drag the unfinished beams back in, add logs of the original wood type, and again be able to attach them to the entire stack as the beams dropped out. I could then end with attaching the ribbons.

Much easier than the normal way of using the crafting window.

• Like 1

Actually I abuse this bug to make wine barrels. Those are quite a tedium as cannot be continued while in inventory. What I do now is I create a bunch of them on the ground from at least 2 different wood type, that way they will form a pile if enough is made. Then I can continue them in the pile window, making sure I always add a plank made of a different material. The item I worked on will go to the bottom of the list and that way it is more intuitive to see which needs more planks (I want to finish all with an oak plank). 

So partially the bug could be promoted to be a feature - if the issue that the item disappears from the crafting window can be solved.

I was making a stern for a sail boat and began the stern in the usual way using 2 birchwood components and then added it to the crafting interface.

All was fine whilst I added birchwood hull planks and tenons to the stern (birchwood), but as soon as I added the first cedarwood peg - the stern disappeared from the crafting interface.

I had to add the stern (now cedarwood) to the interface again, and continue adding the pegs.

To test it again I changed over to maplewood pegs and after the first maple peg the stern got thrown out of the crafting interface again.

I am not sure if the stern is the only thing that gets thrown out of the crafting interface when its wood type changes but this is the first item I have noticed.

It would be better if the item could please stay in the crafting interface regardless of whether (or how often) the wood type changes during construction.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 1

As far as I am aware, since it is a new wood type, it considers it a brand new item, and tosses it out of the crafting window. I know some people use this behavior to intentionally toss it out at a certain point, so they can finish it in a particular wood type. This happens with many (if not all) wood items that require multiple wooden components, not just sterns or BSBs

A workaround for stern and some other objects is to work on the item on the ground. The bug only happens to items in inventory.