Sign in to follow this  
skyefox

Archaeological Deed Map

Hello fellow Wurmians,

Since the addition of the archaeology skill I have had a wonderful time exploring the countryside searching for evidence of long fallen deeds.  I've been keeping track of my findings, (no in-game journal until recently) and have plotted then on a current geography map of Indy. 

I have no idea if there is any interest for others in trying to put together something, so I wouldn't mind hearing from the community if you are interested in seeing where the popular deed spots were/are, where the extreme hermits used to live, and if there were many parts of Indy that haven't been settled. I have some collected data for about 200 deeds scattered across the lands.

Below is a link to a small section that I have done in the area where I live; it has been popular with deeds, though from the number, they've probably been short lived.

I've tried to put the deed names in the grid squares where I found them, using 2 different colours to try and keep the separate names obvious where multiple deeds existed. 

http://prntscr.com/jt30vi

Skyefox

Mayor Albia Estates

• Like 1

If it helps, I don't mind handing over the code (VB and SQL) to someone who is willing to host it. I made this initially to mark epic structure locations for missions but once archaeology was introduced, I added the squares for marking the deeds. If someone can present their capability of maintaining and hosting this, I'd be more than happy to give them the code.

This is used by a few allies, it's a little awkward because once the message "such and such deed used to be here" when investigating, we open the map dump in MS Paint and get the coordinates from there (1 pixel is 1 tile in game) and record those in the application, functionality is there. It also records and shows the deed founding date in real life (approximating to deed age/8) which is entered by the user as well, not mandatory.

App then looks for the N/W and S/E corners for the selected deed and draws the rectangle for selected deed. Problem is that I don't do any validation on the entered text so spelling mistakes cause problems, just too lazy to do it properly and with the handful of people who are using it, it's no biggie to maintain it in DB.

For Epic Structures it draws an arrow and focuses on it, I just add them manually to the DB based on ally finds.

I'm not willing to host it because of GDPR. There are 2 options:

Make it public and every troll can insert any garbage data they want or

Make it account based and have to be able to produce the papers required in case of a GDPR audit.

Epic structures (excuse the native language):

Spoiler

xvzPsrM.png

Archaeology finds (small red rectangle, open on imgur to zoom https://i.imgur.com/hn5IgcP.png?

Spoiler

hn5IgcP.png

I will NOT host this because it is too much hassle with the current GDPR legislation. Only other option would be to record "public" data and have the thing full of troll entries.

We are not trying to connect owners with RL people.

This map Skyefox has started does not contain the In Game Names of the Mayors associated with the names of past villages at any location that Archeology reveals to us.

She is just finding what village names were in a place in the past, as she was curious to see how popular an area was by the number of times deeds have been planted at place.

We have always respected the requests of Hermits and loners to remain anonymous by not having their village locations revealed on our maps.

Thus we thank you for your kind offer, but we do not have the "coding skills" to use or maintain such a tool, as you have developed, and wish to decline your offer.

Kindest regards!

Hughmongus