Sign in to follow this  
Flubb

Archaeology report management

I don't want to be that guy who immediately after an (amazing) update guys to nitpick on the forums, but why can we not take reports out of the journal?

It is quite possible with the almanac, so when I first read the patch notes I had hoped I could build myself a little library of journals, each of which summarize a specific location (like my neighbors old deed) or general areas I've been to using the insanity teleport - the catch here is that I don't know a priori where i'll be, obviously. And conventionally travelling archaeologist may not know what they'll find, too. So being able to transfer deed reports after the fact would be very handy here.

I understand that unlike harvest reports, which are created "directly" and start as a loose report, deed reports are made automatically using the journal, so it might be an implementation limitation that loose deed reports cannot exist outside of a journal, but I'd be nice for managing them if we could drag them from one journal to another.

Also, on a smaller note, adding blank reports to stock your journal up for your expedition is a bit of a clickfest, would be neat if we could just drag blank paper onto the journal instead of chewing through the context menu. That's a really small priority though, as said clickfest wouldn't occur very often and loading up 5 journals just now wasn't that bad, just worse than it felt it needed to be.

• Like 6

Yes, I wonder why don't they work like harvest reports. The way they work now:

- was a bit clumsy to start with (more than one player expected that they worked similarly),

- then much easier (no reed pen or ink needed is convenient, can't deny!),

- then again felt weirdly "stuck" and less useful (can't remove/move report to create thematic journals).

The latter is particularly affected also by the very limited number of reports in one journal. So I want to organize them if I'm going to use this. For example, I'm happy to have a journal with the history around one of my favorite places. But I'm also worried that I have two blank pages I could ruin if I bump into a former deed somewhere else... It would be nice if the content of a journal was under our control properly.

Or at least allow us to rewrite them using pen and blank sheets, so we can write organized journal from our messy field notes?

The system seems awkward and needs a way to sort out information found.

On 6/9/2018 at 7:06 AM, Flubb said:

I don't want to be that guy who immediately after an (amazing) update guys to nitpick on the forums,

I'm glad you did it, becuase now I don't have to be that guy!

I do agree, I didn't realise this at first and I have collected reports that I find interesting, like my own disbanded deeds, but also historically interesting deeds like Samling. They are in one journal together, and to add insult to injury, I cannot even read the ones that were taken on another server, so I really have a ragtag set of reports in one journal now.

+1

I like that the process is automatic (after the "add page" clickfest), but I wish we could remove pages. Even if it means destroying the page, I sometimes just don't want that settlement information in this journal ?

Edited by Shmeric

+1 please, I'd love to be able to rearrange my reports to cover certain areas

+1. its an attempt at a different way from almanac but i found almanac to be more logical...also the need to click to add a report is cause need a decent paper so ql 30+...but that could be set in the limit to write report with a pen ....

+1  For now I've purposely only done archaeology in a specific area to keep my journal organized.  It is nice that we can name it, which I've done also. I figure I'll create a new journal when I want to work archaeology elsewhere, but that can be a bit cumbersome making sure you are carrying the right journal.  With higher skill, when you can gather info quicker and easier, it would be great to do it here and there when you're out and about (possibly scoping out the next rift location) and be able to move those pages to any journal later.

With the number of expired deeds on some servers we'll need multiple journals per server. As well as the need to avoid mixing reports from different servers in each journal I'm not sure how you can avoid having deed reports in multiple journals. If you're carrying a journal with you reports are automatically added to it, presumably if you already have that deed report in a journal back home in your archeology library you'll get a duplicate report. Unless you carry all the journals for that server with you but that makes organising them difficult.

It's a nice idea but needs something more to make it usable. I suggest scissors and glue for report cut & pasting ?

+1

It would be nice to be able to more easily organise the reports for just one site all together in one journal.

It could be a great gift to pass on to a new owner of a deed at that site - "The History of Your Deed XYZ Town"

Maybe there's already a market for this kind of job - going out to deeds to undertake a full archaeological survey for the owner.

In any case, your idea would make these journals a lot simpler to produce.

• Like 1