Meyfei

[Suggestion] Cocoa Trees!

Do you want Cocoa Trees?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Agree
    • Disagree
    • Other (leave comment)

Hello! I'm coming by with a suggestion for Cocoa Trees.

How would they grow?
Speed of growth- Subjective to debate
Growth height: small tree, medium branch spread

Harvest: Subjective time, harvest tool; Machete, result, cocoa nut -> hammer, cocoa beans.

Location- Southern regions
Space- 1 tile
Additional traits: Can only be planted near a taller tree. can survive the outer kill zone of a grown willow/oak, does not spread.

Edited by Meyfei

Cacao trees, pineapple bushes(?), and coconut palms would be great.

+1. can use short sword to harvest...or butcher/carving knife. not locked to southern regions only tho. needs to be everywhere. or have north region a north only tree to balance things

• Like 1

+1

But they should be rare, hard/slow to plant/grow, and perhaps have a greater chance of reaching maturity if grown indoors in large pots where they can be protected from climate extremes. 

For those who don't know, the cocoa tree is very finicky.  It only grows in a very narrow region of the world as it has a narrow climate tolerance range, thus the suggestion it should only be found in the southern regions.  In truth, it would never survive anywhere that got cold enough for snow or even the threat of frost, which might be just about everywhere in Wurm.  I've not traveled wide enough to know, nor have I asked.  For this reason I would suggest it be not found only in the south, but that it be found everywhere, just very rare.

Chocolate, therefore, would be a rare and valuable item in the game, and hopefully have some cool benefits added to food prepared successfully with it..

Edited by Thalius

make them grow in sand for the southern feel

+ 1

I read up abit while writing the post to see how close I could relate them to actual cocoa trees.

I suggested Southern temps due to the heat. As such I believe for harvest cycle summer would be the optimal range for best harvest.

Sand may work possibly, but they do require shade so it may need a valid distance near trees using sand would limit it to the extended reach of a Willow/oak, though I think Palm trees would be a major improvement to desert terrain / sand tiles.

Internal growth would be difficult, its stated they thrive off the shade from taller trees, but too much can cause them to die or become unhealthy.

• Like 1

we should not have to forage for any of the cooking ingredients 

• Like 1

If you want real world mechanics for growing cocoa trees- they like somewhat humid, warm (85) to moderate high heat at the equator.  They are often planted (in Ecuador at least) in the shade of a banana tree to protect it while young until it is established, after which it he banana tree is removed and the cocoa tree grows in full equator sun.

They are supremely succeptable to cocoa pod rot from fungus if not growing in ideal conditions, even in the jungle.  Moist, well draining but rich soil is needed.  Not too much clay, and not too much sand.

They would not survive high, arid heat like the desert, and would not produce well if grown in near full shade in their more mature state.  To grow in cooler climates they would need to be brought indoors and kept in an area of high sun and warmth.  Special care would need to be taken with regard to moisture needs.  Thus my suggestion would be that if there is no frost-free tropical zone in Wurm, the chocolate tree should be rare, and be growsbke indiors.  Such a growth environment would be far from ideal, so chance if death during infant stages should be very high, but plants that can tolerate such an environment and reach maturity should then be much less likely to die while cared for indoors.

Just offering some thoughts! ?

Very interested in seeing what could come of this.

+1 I agree so much with this!

On 6/7/2018 at 5:44 PM, Thalius said:

+1

But they should be rare, hard/slow to plant/grow, and perhaps have a greater chance of reaching maturity if grown indoors in large pots where they can be protected from climate extremes. 

For those who don't know, the cocoa tree is very finicky.  It only grows in a very narrow region of the world as it has a narrow climate tolerance range, thus the suggestion it should only be found in the southern regions.  In truth, it would never survive anywhere that got cold enough for snow or even the threat of frost, which might be just about everywhere in Wurm.  I've not traveled wide enough to know, nor have I asked.  For this reason I would suggest it be not found only in the south, but that it be found everywhere, just very rare.

Chocolate, therefore, would be a rare and valuable item in the game, and hopefully have some cool benefits added to food prepared successfully with it..