Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

Protect the blessed lamps!

As the title says : protect the planted blessed lamps (maybe limit when they are on a type of pavement). Right now, only the planted bless lamps on highways are protected, but not all roads are highways... and we cannot protect canals the highway way.

So i suggest the following : Planted + blessed + on pavement = decay free BUT with a bash bonus (to allow people to remove them)

• Like 6

-1 decay works like that so abandoned places look abandoned. If you add lights to abandoned places thats no good is it?

• Like 4

I find myself in a rare instance agreeing with Gladiator. 

One of the last things I want to see in an abandoned place is a airplane runway of lights.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gladiator said:

decay works like that so abandoned places look abandoned. If you add lights to abandoned places thats no good is it?

Decay remove pavement, which would remove the lamps protection. Also the lamps would have to be blessed to prevent decay... not something very useful or seen when it's a deeded spot.

3 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

One of the last things I want to see in an abandoned place is a airplane runway of lights.

That we already have, lamps are either lit till their run out of fuel when a place is abandoned... or lit till the decay hit them, which can take forever currently.

So not only the suggestion would make maintenance on canals, cave canals and smaller roads easier but also with the bash bonus, it would allow easier removal of said lamps by two different means when they are on an abandonned spot.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Odynn said:

Decay remove pavement

In theory...practically those last forever and well beyond any other kind of items though. I've seen plenty of empty, but perfectly paved areas teleporting around Xanadu, I wouldn't "rely" on decay of pavement by any stretch.

As much as public infrastructure is important to me, too, being involved in it myself, I'd also loathe to see abandonded deeds with only lamps mysteriously preserved. You raise a good point about blessed lamps not being needed on deeds, though.

In fact they could be outright prohibited on them, or unblessed when a deed disbands upon them so that if you happen to have a blessed lamp you can use it anyway, that's a bit hamfisted but would be a compromise.

Alternatively blessed lamps could reduce the time for unused pavement to decay, which might work theoretically for public canals and tunnels, but sounds like it'll practically be all out of whack and just more annoying than the status quo, so I'd be fine with OP if lamps were unblessed when on a disbanding deed.

Edited by Flubb

The one good use for this I can think of is for cave canals. A better solution would be for better lighting options and highway protection for canals.

Decay exists for a reason, and I don't know if I've ever actually noticed unused pavement decaying. I've been to plenty of abandoned places, and the pavement seems like it's always intact.

If things last forever, why make more of them?

Everything is meant to eventually fall apart and decay, even lamps.

This solution is a little too extreme.

An enchantment that acts as a decay buffer might be a better middle ground.

Replacement idea for the specific case of the waterway / cave canals :

-1 Above ground.

+1 For cave canals, but only on reinforced and paved floors.

just make it so that if a lamp is blessed and its on a tile outside of a deed that bless after a while fades away and when that happens make the lamp decay like normal

that way you just bless the lamps once a year or so and if that is to much work then tough luck

but making bless on lamps outside of highways last for a year and prevent decay that way should be a okay solution i think to solving the thing most people seem to be having an issue with

There already is a solution: repairing them. I know I repair quite a lot in my way, and many many times they're actually very little damaged. There are exceptions, but it's an in-game mechanic there already if people care.

Making them no-decay makes some sense too, but if you increase bash damage to some visible degree I don't see why they wouldn't be stolen.

+1

Although tbh, I'd rather see lamps on highways protected in such a way that prevents people from placing deeds and nicking them.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:35 AM, Anarres said:

Making them no-decay makes some sense too, but if you increase bash damage to some visible degree I don't see why they wouldn't be stolen.

if you steal stuff on an heritage site... it's a punishable offense by the GMs. If it's not on an heritage site... you can quickly get rid of them... which fix the trouble. And repairing them is nice and all, but how many of the infrastructures users actually repair them? Seeing my own last round of repair, i'd say none.

Also lamps on protected highways are already decay free. just need an alternative for canals and cave canals.