Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Minimize the time it takes to get your 12 anniversary gift.

I think a little how-to on what you need to do to get your 3 fragments would be nice. I've never used the archeology system before and I don't really want to spend a bunch of time figuring how to go about this. I can't be the only player in this position.

Can any of you knowledgeable folks give use a quick step-by-step guide? Please be specific, Thank you in advance.

----SUMMARY-----

1. Use your trowel to investigate any tile. A higher quality trowel will give you more frequent success and faster times. Action speed + enchants will speed things up too.
  2.  It doesn't matter what tile you investigate. As far as your chance of getting a fragment goes it's all the same. On your deed, off-deed, abandon deed area, dirt, road, grass, etc; it's all the same.
  3. For every fragment found there is 1/15 chance it's the anniversary fragment. A success on a 1/15 roll will put this green text message in the event window:  "[17:35:34] You also find another fragment that looks a bit different." Anniversary fragments are label as "unidentified special fragment".
  4. Use your chisel and/or metal brush on the unidentified fragments in order to identify them. Using the tool the game asks you to use has a lower difficulty and this will succeed more often. Tho, you can use whatever tool you want, but the wrong tool makes it more difficult. Take note that you can't actually destroy the fragment even know the failure event message hints to the contrary.
  5. Combine your 3 fragments. If you get a fragment of item rarity it can make a rare anniversary gift.

Lastly,  expect it to take at least a half-hour to find your fragments and another half hour or less to identify them if you have low archaeology skill.

Edited by joedobo
  • Like 3

Grab a Trowel and investigate tiles until you have three special unidentified fragments.

Use a Stonechisel onthose until they are identified.

Combine the identified fragments.

Enjoy your gift.

• Like 1

Archaeology is very similar to foraging and botanizing (at least the collecting of fragments). You will need a trowel and a stone chisel and/or metal brush.

You just activate a trowel (at higher skill you can use a shovel for increased difficulty but for now that doesn't matter much), right click a tile (off-deed, on-deed, pavement, dirt, grass, moss, rock.. I believe anywhere except inside mines), and select "Investigate". It will either say "This area looks picked clean." similar to foraging, or you will begin an action timer and start investigating the tile. I generally try to do my archaeology in more abandoned / less developed areas just because I have a better chance of the tiles not being picked clean but you can attempt it anywhere. After the action completes there is a chance that you will find an unidentified fragment and, at higher skill, information about any deeds that were on that land at some point in the past.

I generally try to do my archaeology in more abandoned / less developed areas just because I have a better chance of the tiles not being picked clean but you can attempt it anywhere.

There is apparently a 1/15 chance to get a special anniversary fragment anytime you find a regular fragment. When you do find one, a green message will show up in your event window that says "[17:35:34] You also find another fragment that looks a bit different." and you will have a fragment in your inventory (in a separate stack from the other fragments you have found) called an "Unidentified special fragment".

You can then use your stone chisel and/or metal brush to identify the fragments. Identifying the fragments will slowly remove weight from them (as if you are chiseling away dirt and build-up) and once it reaches the actual weight of the final fragment, it will become identified. For the anniversary fragments, it will be a gift box fragment. Once you find and identify three gift box fragments you can combine them (activate one fragment, right click another) which will create the anniversary gift.

You can also set up a keybind for it. If you use the keybind tab under settings, then "Investigate" is under the Action tab, and "Identify" is under the Item tab.

Hope this helped.

Edited by Gheen
  • Like 2

what kind of tiles: your own deed, own perimeter, off-deed land, another's deed/perimeter, an area that looks like it used to be a deed?

I'm assuming the highest possible quality tool and if you got it some action speed enchant is best.

I'd prefer to just go do this on my own deed but I have a suspicion that isn't the fastest.

My own deed worked great. Although it has been multiple deeds before, so that might make it easier. 

Any tiles. Dirt, grass, moss, pavement, steppe. I personally was investigating along a stretch of our highway. So, I was investigating on cobblestone, moss, and grass. It can be done in perimeter, on deed, or off deed. You can even do it on submerged tiles while swimming. The only place I believe that you can't do it is in mines. (Possible rock tiles, but I havent tried).

Edit: Just checked. You can also investigate on exposed rock tiles :P 

Edited by Gheen

thanks all.

dang, 15-second action time and a very low success rate at my 1 skill...oh well.

• Like 1

Updated the OP with this. tell me if there are inaccuracies.

----SUMMARY-----

1. Use your trowel to investigate any tile. A higher quality trowel will give you more frequent success and faster times. Action speed + enchants will speed things up too.
  2.  It doesn't matter what tile you investigate. As far as your chance of getting a fragment goes it's all the same. On your deed, off-deed, abandon deed area, dirt, road, grass, etc; it's all the same.
  3. For every fragment found there is 1/15 chance it's the anniversary fragment. A success on a 1/15 roll will put this green text message in the event window:  "[17:35:34] You also find another fragment that looks a bit different." Anniversary fragments are label as "unidentified special fragment".
  4. Use your chisel and/or metal brush on the unidentified fragments in order to identify them. Using the tool the game asks you to use has a lower difficulty and this will succeed more often. Tho, you can use whatever tool you want, but the wrong tool makes it more difficult. Take note that you can't actually destroy the fragment even know the failure event message hints to the contrary.
  5. Combine your 3 fragments. If you get a fragment of item rarity it can make a rare anniversary gift.

Lastly,  expect it to take at least a half-hour to find your fragments and another half hour or less to identify them if you have low archaeology skill.

Great post Joedobo and contributors! I wasn't even going to bother with this attempt to obtain the anniversary gift due to no archeology skill and lack of knowledge. Now I will give it a try if not too time consuming to complete.

=Ayes=