Sign in to follow this  
Batta

Client mods stopped working

Today, all of a sudden all of my client mods stopped working. I went back and patched again, just in case, but the patching didn't seem to take after several tries, and I got the following message each time:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher>..\runtime\bin\java -classpath patcher.jar;javassist.jar org.gotti.wurmunlimited.patch

er.PatchClientJar

Exception in thread “main” java.util.zip.ZipError: zip END header not found

at com.sun.nio.zipfs.ZipFileSystem.zerror(ZipFileSystem.java:1605)

at com.sun.nio.zipfs.ZipFileSystem.findEND(ZipFileSystem.java:1021)

at com.sun.nio.zipfs.ZipFileSystem.initCEN(ZipFileSystem.java:1030)

at com.sun.nio.zipfs.ZipFileSystem.<init>(ZipFileSystem.java:130)

at com.sun.nio.zipfs.ZipFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(ZipFileSystemProvider.java:117)

at java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(FileSystems.java:326)

at java.nio.fiel.FileSystems.newFileSystem(FileSystems.java:276)

at org.gotti.wurmunlimited.patcher.PatchClientJar.run(PatchClientJar.java:30)

at org.gotti.wurmunlimited.patcher.PatchClientJar.main(PatchClientJar.java:44)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher>pause

Press any key to continue . . .

Mine stopped working because of the 1.6.4.2 update yesterday, which was a very minor update and did not seem to affect any mods directly just the game version number, I just had to run mod launcher patcher.bat again and they all were working once more.  I only run like 2-3 mods though, mostly LiveMap and ESP. I do not get the "EXCEPTION" error you get above about ZipFileSystems or a missing header. Did you maybe change anything besides running patcher.bat?

You might need bdew to interpret what the error you got was about, I would meantime try removing all mods and add one at a time back in till you find the culprit (if you run a TON of mods, try adding 5 or 10 at a time till it breaks again, then go back and reexamine those 5-10 if it stops.)

Start with maybe removing all mods except LiveMap since we know that one should be working fine, then start adding more. As far as i know, nothing in the patch is likely to actively break any mods.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I run only a few client mods.  After the 1.6.4.2 update I had to patch, and then all was working fine. But when I logged in this morning, they weren't working anymore and I get this error message when I try to patch.  

It *might* be if you somehow "customized" your jar files, maybe adding a custom server map or custom textures? I don;t know, I am just thinking JAR is an archive which is maybe why it meantions ZIP 

See, it is the same error as here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31447641/java-exception-while-adding-image-files-to-an-existing-zip-file

Make sure not to have multiple characters logged in while troubleshooting this.

No changes at all between when it was working last night, after patching for the update, and this morning.  We do have a custom map, but nothing new for months.

well the patch was specifically about grass textures so they might have been doing something themselves with the texture JAR, if you are adding back in again the "old broken" grass texture while altering the world map, perhaps that triggers it?   

I guess bdew will have to help, I am not capable of decipher exception errors.

4 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

well the patch was specifically about grass textures so they might have been doing something themselves with the texture JAR, if you are adding back in again the "old broken" grass texture while altering the world map, perhaps that triggers it?   

I guess bdew will have to help, I am not capable of decipher exception errors.

I'm the only one on the server having this problem. If it was about the custom map, I'd expect other players to have the same issue.

Just now, Batta said:

I'm the only one on the server having this problem. If it was about the custom map, I'd expect other players to have the same issue.

I don;t know then :( there is no other mod that you use and no one else uses? Or custom tweak?

1 minute ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I don;t know then :( there is no other mod that you use and no one else uses? Or custom tweak?

No, nothing like that. And everything was working fine last night, after I patched the new update.

well, if you only have 2-3 client mods, try removing all of them.

Then add in LiveMap and/or ESP, see if those work (since they shouldn't have a "bytecode" conflict).

Be sure to rerun patcher each time t\you add one back. No other characters ingame. 

If those two work, then see which mod is left.

15 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

well, if you only have 2-3 client mods, try removing all of them.

Then add in LiveMap and/or ESP, see if those work (since they shouldn't have a "bytecode" conflict).

Be sure to rerun patcher each time t\you add one back. No other characters ingame. 

If those two work, then see which mod is left.

I'm running exactly the same mods as other players on my server, and they were working fine last night. I've made no changes at all, but now they aren't working. 

What I'm trying to find out is what the problem is, and what the error message means so I can avoid it in the future and fix it now.

This was an interesting one... :)

1. Are you using the latest client modloader? If not, install that.
2. Do you have free diskspace on the disk where your client is installed?
3. Are you extremely memory constrained on your computer? (as in, little free memory left)

4. Have you tried rebooting your computer, and before doing anything else, run patcher.bat?

If the answers to the above are all 'yes', try repairing your WU install in Steam.

If Steam says everything is just hunky dory, break the installation by deleting say client.jar (also delete client-patched.jar for good measure)in your WurmLauncher
folder, then ask Steam to repair it again.

Umm, further questions if the above was not successful:
- Can you give a screenshot of your Wurmlauncher folder?

So...none of this has changed since all was working fine last night.  WU install is fine, too. 

Nothing wrong in my Wurmlauncher folder, as all is exactly the same as it was yesterday.

I can play the game just fine. The only issue is that my client mods are gone, and I'm unable to patch.

Edited by Batta

Yet as you note, nobody else is having this problem (on your server or other servers) so it is something unique on your end. I went through Steam looking for something similar, and nothing from this patch.  All we are trying to do is isolate what makes your setup a little different from the others, even if last night everything worked fine.

I would start by rebooting the computer, in case there is something glitched in memory. Rebooting also often fixes things "when nothing else is wrong and everything should be fine". Maybe also running a diskcheck looking for orphaned file fragments floating around in file system. Try also to think if you may have edited or moved any files then forgot what you did.

If you are just tired of people suggesting things that do not instantly solve it (most troubleshooting involves trying fifty things that do not solve it), then PM bdew and wait till bdew replies as bdew is really your best shot at "I don't want anymore wrong answers, just one RIGHT answer". 

Well, if nothing is wrong, then I can obviously not help you.

The fact that your mods are not working is because your modloader cannot patch your client; this is not a mod problem.

The modloader is failing when attempting to access client.jar -- this is not normal,  which is why I am asking about modloader, the client folder and your system.

But if everything is okay in your Wurmlauncher folder...

27 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

If you are just tired of people suggesting things that do not instantly solve it (most troubleshooting involves trying fifty things that do not solve it), then PM bdew and wait till bdew replies as bdew is really your best shot at "I don't want anymore wrong answers, just one RIGHT answer". 

Wow, not at all what I meant to convey. My apologies. 

I thought perhaps I hadn't been clear enough in explaining my situation, so my intention was just to clarify.  I tried several different wordings, as I thought maybe I still hadn't been clear what I was looking for a solution for. 

I'm not tired of people suggesting things that don't instantly solve it - suggestions related to my problem are 100% welcome!

I apologize for the confusion. 

However, once I've tried all the fixes that have been suggested, I'm not sure what to say.  Many of the suggestions didn't necessarily seem (to me) to be related to the issue, but I tried them anyway.  I totally hear you about bdew, though. He's almost always good for some awesome fix for most issues!  ?

All we are trying to do is isolate what makes your setup a little different from the others, even if last night everything worked fine.

Interestingly, several of my players didn't know how to set their files & mods up, so I did it for them. We all have identical files, as I did them all via Teamviewer.  Two players have computers with much less memory than mine, one with much more. Some have Macs, some PCs. 

All of us are using the latest version of Steam, client modloader, mods, and WU.   Not sure if this is helpful information, but perhaps it will rule some things out.

Edited by Batta

Well, I honestly do think bdew is a MOD GOD.   :)   so may be your best shot.

The reason I suggest PMing him is, I think he gets an email alert that way, and he may not check all forum threads.

Well, okay then. Let's give it one more shot -- with reasoning then.

The reason I am suggesting a forced repair of Wurm Unlimited is because a number of things could have gone wrong with your installation. This could be access permissions, diskspace, memory, corruption of a file, anything.

So, try breaking your install and let Steam go over your installation -- it's probably the fastest way -- at least faster than trying everything what possibly could have gone wrong.

The line in question that is throwing an exception in the modloader has no magic, it just wants to open client.jar. It failing suggests something out of the ordinary is wrong, and frankly it smells like an IO error to me (but no, I have not looked into the newFileSystem() method).

Oh, and while running patcher.bat, make sure nothing has a file-lock on client.jar.

If you are certain that you know that you've done everything right (and I do think you are doing everything right -- or at least have had no reason to think otherwise). But obviously something has changed on your system, if it worked yesterday.  :)

Edited by Friya

A couple things that could cause a file lock on client.jar 

* a secondary character in game

* client.jar is open in some other program such as an archive viewer (winZip, file explorer, etc)

* check task manager for any extra wurm processes, force close them all and retry. Maybe also for Steam -- I have occasional issues when Steam tries to do a generic steam update while I am working on something.

* Windows is try to run some other process like virus checker or indexer  (one reason I hate using ProgramFilesx86 for any gaming files. Windows is more tolerant of processes in a path like d:\Steam or d:\games -- rebooting will usually unlock any "locked" files caused by it being in a system path and accessed by a different process.

It's very possible that the problem actually occurred from trying to troubleshoot other people's setup since it worked fine before then -- is there any chance you downloaded any of their files to your folders, perhaps causing an ownership issue etc?  

In my case, it is usually due to something very trivial I am overlooking, such as having the file open in some other process (file explorer, archive, etc). 

Ok it's fixed.  I gained a clue when I realized that my other Steam game (Rising World) was still open, though I thought I'd closed it last night when I shut off my computer. I tried shutting it down manually, then did the deleting client.jar and client-patched.jar again, and got Steam to fix my WU files for me again, but this time it worked!  

So you both were right, and it did turn out to be some dumb error on my part. I love you guys.  ?

So it sounds like simply rebooting the computer (urged by both Friya and I) was never attempted, if programs were still running from the night before  :( that's too bad because it might have been the fastest & easiest solution.

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

So it sounds like simply rebooting the computer (urged by both Friya and I) was never attempted, if programs were still running from the night before  :( that's too bad because it might have been the fastest & easiest solution.

No, not at all. That was the first thing I tried, even before writing in this forum.  I rebooted the computer several times, including having it turned off all night while I slept, as always.  It went through the normal booting up sequence in the morning, too. I don't know how Rising World was still open, but it was.  It wasn't rebooting that finally fixed it, it was going into Task Manager and finding Rising World, then closing it from there.  Then, I re-did the other steps and this time they worked.

EDIT: It might not have been "fully" open still, just some component that was labeled Rising World was still there even after the computer had been turned off for many hours.  Oh, and whatever it was that I shut down messed up all my settings in Rising World, so I was back to default settings including my avatar being a male.

Edited by Batta

Thanks for getting back with an explanation. This exception really got me curious. 

Glad it worked out :)

oh and let me also give huge praise to Brash for always lurking and having good advice in this corner of the forum :)

On 6/5/2018 at 5:36 AM, Friya said:

Thanks for getting back with an explanation. This exception really got me curious. 

Glad it worked out :)

oh and let me also give huge praise to Brash for always lurking and having good advice in this corner of the forum :)

It's actually making me a little nervous about Rising World. There must be some setting I haven't yet accessed that allows them to remain open even when I thought they were closed, and even with my computer turned off. But that's for a different forum, lol.  ?

Edited by Batta