Sign in to follow this  
Hyaenidae

Future of Wurm

1 hour ago, FranktheTank said:

Help me out here, how would increasing the skill cap to 120 solve, literally anything?

New goals to strive for and with this increased cap I'm imagining increased ql cap too. 

My thoughts were that faster skill gain at lower levels will help new players feel like they're actually getting somewhere, while medium ish level players can catchup to the long term vets.

There's a bunch of powerhouse accounts that have been grinded on by players gone by, then sold to whoever has the money (pay2win) a new skillcap will level the field once more and people will have to grind if they want their accounts to be top notch again, rather than just buying their way.

Like I said, just spitballing ideas and you're more than welcome. I think we all know something needs to be done but what will work? 

all thia being said on the forums and such, but around my deed on Xan is more popular than ever as well as much more infrastructure.

I think longevity is the real issue, in the end I think the deva are much more interested in wurm surviving as their livelihood depends on it. You only see the tip of the iceberg not the feasibility nor risk of implementation...not to say they are doing everything right just saying all these doom and gloom posts could instead be about player activities in game.

I don't think advertising is the biggest problem, the game has never really advertised itself and we're all here.

A new server would bring back older people but no new ones.

The whole account selling this might be damaging the game as it does damage the economy, high skilled accounts don't go out of the rotation to make space for the new ones.

But the main thing I think is that now we've got competition from other games like Life is Feudal and all those fast past survival games, and our UI is difficult to understand plus the graphics don't look as good.

I like the visuals but other people I try to convince find em to bad.

and for the UI, the tutorial explains things but you won't remember em all, and a lot of things don't seem to make sense, they do for me but I was watching a streamer play for the first time and he did not know how to light a fire in an oven. He knew he needed a kindling, but did not know that to do with it. I helped him out but he got pretty frustrated with it all. And there were many more things like this.

Therefore I think that the game is nearly unplayable without the help/explanations of other people and not everyone likes to ask other people about nearly everything as in other games people find that rather annoying.

So in my opinion, advertisement might work in the long run but now there should be a main focus on the new UI, so that at least the few new people we get stick with the game and don't get frustrated with it.

• Like 1

A new server or cluster for bringing old people back IS NOT a good idea at all.

A new server or cluster released in tandem with advertising, IS a good idea.

I have no idea of the future of Wurm Online. I will say this though, if you want more insight into what attracts players to the game and what adjustments could be made to do so, look to Wurm Unlimited. There are servers there that offer what many within this thread have mentioned. Sure, it is the same basic game but with so many options to suit various player interests, including various skill gain and action timers.

I imagine a lot could be learned by investigating all this but WO is on a pretty much set path which will not go to the extent to alter the game in these respects anyway. Still, I can see additions to WO being made that are clearly taken from WU and its modders, although not always given direct credit to them. Wurm Online will go the direction it will go determined by some sort of Developer consensus. Threads like this will have little impact on any of it. They are more just for players to air their own opinions with less impact even than the S&I section of these forums that is more focused upon any possible worthwhile changes to the game.

=Ayes= 

• Like 1

First thing Wurm needs is a proper business manager who has the ability to:

• Successfully manage an advertising budget & expand worldwide recognition, how many minecraft players that are becoming adults now would love to discover another game Notch worked on?  I know when I mention Notch made the game I play to minecraft players they immediately want to know more.
  • Enhance the player experience by making both new and existing players feel welcome and valued as opposed to treating them/us with this endless snark that we have been forced to endure since Rolf disappeared
  • Realize that they are in the entertainment business and people are paying to have fun, make them happy - don't tell them to be happy
  • Devise fun incentives for players to invite new players to the game and shine a positive light
  • Maintain a high standard of professionalism, fairness, and consistency
  • Give the game a positive direction and inspire creative thought and fun problem solving

If Wurm had 10,000 players most of the MMO problems people complain about would diminish.  Pvp servers would be thriving and kingdoms would once again be the proper size, not 5 buddies with 25 alts to game the system only to complain that its too hard to go against a proper kingdom of 100+.  The economy would be booming with all strata of players buying, selling and trading as opposed to this tiny pond where everyone focuses on the best of the best endgame wares.  We probably still have enough open land to accommodate 10,000 when you consider how large and empty Independence and Xanadu are, not to mention the smaller servers that usually have 10-30 players on at any given time. 

Rolf, if you are reading this, we have tried the nepotism and bury your head in the sand routine long enough, its time to find a professional to take Wurm to the next level.  Just think of how much better your vacations will be if you have 4 times as many Wurmians.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 6

Recruit a friend campaign, give rewards for those who participate - if a friend stays for a certain amount of time. Google it if your confused.

Loyalty rewards, give me a reason to keep throwing money at the screen.

Cash shop with vanity items, add these items also on traders.

Edited by Niki

On 6/5/2018 at 3:16 AM, Hyaenidae said:

New goals to strive for and with this increased cap I'm imagining increased ql cap too. 

It takes months (~6 of hard grind, years for more casual grind) to get to 100 skill for normal skills (blacksmithing, for example).

Going similarly hard, I could go 1-90 in 10 days or less to give you an idea of what hard grinding would be.

I could raise 20 skills to 90 instead of 1 to 100.

You're asking to take that away?

On 6/5/2018 at 2:16 PM, Ayes said:

but WO is on a pretty much set path which will not go to the extent to alter the game in these respects anyway. .........  Wurm Online will go the direction it will go determined by some sort of Developer consensus.

And that is exactly the problem with WO. Until and Unless the developers evolve as well as help the game itself evolve it will stagnate, dwindle and die out.  Oh sure you might say 'but we're still here' then count how many posts that mention, I took a 2-3-6 month break, or I play off and on over the years.

You are correct, posts like this do very little to influence the game.  The developers have their so called 'vision' of the game and we have ours, i'd guess 99 percent of the time they don't even come close to each other.

Now for my few cents on how to attract new players.

Over the top perspective.

Get over it.  Dam near every game out there has it, if you can't find a way to do it, then fine, if it's not cost efficient to change the engine of the game, then fine, but for Fk's sake quit saying 'It gives an unfair pvp advantage.

The only advantage it gives is that the combat system ( wich blows even by 15 year old standards ) is like playing a mud, move forward, hit attack, wait for results. So yeah, quit saying it gives an advantage, cause it don't.

Hotkeys.

Yes we have a tool belt, but you can't hotkey something on it.  But we have macros, OMFG, not everyone understands wtf a macro is, and threads pop up, 'Is this macro against the rules' over and over.

Hell how many of us would go out and fight crap more if we could hotkey our attacks and stances and defenses? Hell that might even help improve the pvp attraction as well.

Lastly.

A clear focus and direction of the game.  As far as the general player knows, there is none, it's 'what are they working on this time?'  Where do the developers see the game in 1, 2, 5 years? or hell if thats to much time, how bout Months.  Yeah we get updates but that doesnt' really tell us much.  Retro has come a long way on getting info to us, but honestly, still feel like the developers are throwing darts at a board going 'Ok we'll work on that this month' with no clear vision or direction of where to take the game.

Edited by Stormblade