Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

What Does Wurm Do Better Than Other MMOs?

Lately, I have been playing Star Wars Galaxies Legends emulator server because I played years ago and I wanted to jump back in to find out why SWG sticks in my mind as one of the greatest MMO experiences I have ever had.  As I am analyzing this question, I am discovering in my own mind what SWG did better than other MMOs, and I am now thinking the same about Wurm.  So what do you think?  What in Wurm stands out to you as something that Wurm does better than any other MMO you have ever played?

Regarding SWG, I think the economy stands out as the best of any other MMO I have played to date.  No matter what profession I get into, my efforts are going to be worth something to someone, somewhere in the galaxy.

Regarding Wurm, I think the sense of ownership and customization of property is, to me, something Wurm does far better than any other MMO.

-Eyesgood

Edited by Eyesgood

Terraforming by far , it could use some help by adding few extra new options.

#1 Add making tunnels in dirt that must be braced/supports each section before building new one .

#2 Being able to dig a basement that is not sloped but straight sides.

#3 Better way to raise cave floors then concrete , stone shards to gravel then dump..... needs replacing now and then as it should decay , could still use concrete if you don't want to repair ..

Wurm Online has ruined my experience for every other MMO in existence.  Mainly because of Terraforming.  Tried doing PvP in GW2 with new expansion and just couldn't accept the fact that I can't change the WORLDvsWORLD map or any other area.

Pure house customization without cookie cutter at all is the 2nd part.  All these open world games (except Minecraft) let you have a house, but it's cookie cutter design you had no part in designing and your house looks like the neighbors.  These MMO's should call them "tract homes" like they are in RL.  Looking at you Archeage.  At least they don't have instanced housing like Black Desert.  This is where WO is leaps and bounds beyond all other MMOs.

If WurmOnline ever went true 3d....    Mind Blown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 3

Non-instanced housing...my #1 best feature of Wurm. Very few games even try, only 1 I played was horizons(now Istaria) eons ago (their ftp model blocks my characters). I believe Star Wars Galaxies had it too, but I never got that far.

It'd probably be easier to write a new game than add 3d to Wurm. Daybreak Games killed EQ3, which was supposed to have a fully 3d terrain as well as it's builder cousin.

Edited by Kelody

Wurm puts me in my place, even though I wish it was harder to be honest. Where as other MMO's make me feel like a god even as a noob and there is no challenge. 

1 hour ago, Kelody said:

Non-instanced housing...my #1 best feature of Wurm. Very few games even try, only 1 I played was horizons(now Istaria) eons ago (their ftp model blocks my characters). I believe Star Wars Galaxies had it too, but I never got that far.

It'd probably be easier to write a new game than add 3d to Wurm. Daybreak Games killed EQ3, which was supposed to have a fully 3d terrain as well as it's builder cousin.

Yes, SWG has(had) non-instanced housing, but Wurm takes it to the next level and lets you design that house.  SWG only gives you pre-designed templates for housing.

1. Grinding.... its so slow that it makes ppl go insane...and am abit insane so love it. So many fast tempo games out there and played a lot of games. 2. Devs do an awesome job (past 2 years been amazing). 3. Endless stuff to do...really u can complete almost everything fast in other MMO:s ( fast like atleast in a year). Been playing Wurm for years and still learning new stuff. 4. Dont have cheaters (hope so) main reason why stopped playing other game is this reason. Not many games out there that can deliver this. 5. Good community. 6. Terraforming. 

• Like 1

The main appeal of Wurm to me is that I can create my own little Village within these comparatively vast landscapes of the servers. The whole process is very individualistic to each player even though we are using the same basic materials, so traveling around to visit other's Villages is in this respect a unique experience. Also, I enjoy the fact that the trees and shrubs once planted have their own lifecycles which alter the Village's appearance as they cycle through them. Then the fact that this lasts throughout the years provides a peaceful sort of home away from home retreat from the outside world. On the whole a very creative experience.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

I wish I could quit wurm but I can't. The myriad of problems affecting this game struggle to overcome it's possibilities and freedom. The crafting is intense, ownership and storage is real, pvp matters, wars matter, raids are open and complex. Animals, boats, armors. It's all a fantastically woven mesh of systems creating a game with so many possibilities which doesn't hold you back from going and doing it. Its just a shame for the rest of it.

To expand "a bit", I have always been a pvper. To me, thats where the real music of Wurm is. You take all these interwoven systems... terraforming, mining, crafting, vehicles, animals... you give it some stakes, you put different factions in and you set the players loose. The interactions and impromptu social contracts that spontaneously form and are broken are downright artful. Perhaps thats why so many pvp elitists (myself included) turn their nose up at "Freedomers" who are afraid of pvp because they just dont get it. Wurm is a game where I can drop in, make a deed, do my crafting and then... I have choices to make. I have neighbors, are they in my kingdom? How do I treat them? If theyre unorthodox and don't follow the same Wurm social conventions as I do, will we be able to coexist? Can I fight them? Should I? Will they fight me? Do I think they can be trusted, will they stab me in the back? Will they aid another kingdom, will they all convert and come for me? What are the weaknesses of my kingdom, what are its strengths? What can me and my friends reasonably do? How can I gain an upper hand? How can I help the kingdom succeed, are there people in the kingdom that we're better off without or need their minds changed? How many people here don't like us? How many people here are pretending to like us? What are the champions like, is the king a lame duck? How are the other kingdoms, how are they politically? Can I find out information, how can we use that? Where are they weakest? Where are they strongest? How can we fight them? Where do we need to fight them, where will they attack us? Is the kingdom able to handle that, on an individual level how well prepared is everyone for a fight? How can we make it better? What is the plan and individual steps needed to get us from where we are to where we want to be? All these questions change and some become irrelevant and others become prominent as groups change and people come and go from the game or the kingdom, as conflicts occur as everyone is trying to answer these questions in the best ways they can. It's really incredible, and it all pans out from the perspective of an individual character with nothing, finding different methods and gear to affect the game on a macroscopic level. Combat is just the culmination of all of this, where the fortunes and perception of whole kingdoms and groups can be changed. Yeah the combat is weird and text based and a bit strange, theres tons of odd rules and ways to fiddle with it and yes it's a rush to get into a fight because theres so much on the line. This game really brings out the best and worst in people in a special way.

Some other games have tried to steal away the same feeling, but nobody ever makes it happen as meaningfully as wurm does. It's really too bad, theres something really beautiful here and I just feel its getting neglected.

Edited by enricodandolo
  • Like 4

What enrico said, but add in old female black light models.

Honestly though, it is permanence. No other game has it, no other game I have ever played can you as a single individual mean so much, do so much, and change the world around you.

Other games are so static, based on a single server, match, or uninteresting world. They follow a story driven path, or are "reset every week".

I have weapons in Wurm that were made in 2011, that to me is staggering. 

Some of the most popular MMO's I have played like world of warcraft, provide nothing in context of freedom, it is so controlled and sterile. 

Eve Online is close to Wurm but it has some advanced boredom for me,  because at the end of the day when I played it, I was thriving being a market trader and that is literally a spreadsheet simulator.

Imagine it though, go outside your deed right now. Pack a tile, and place a road. That road tile is there, in the world. People can walk on it, dig it up, use it as a landmark, that tile is in existence. When you log off that tile is still there, when you quit that tile is still there (unless it decayed). Then take that idea, apply it to a Tower, a Colossus, a Kingdom.

Then you understand.

Edited by FranktheTank
  • Like 9

For me it's the medieval setting, the ever-changing world and the amount of skills and things you can do. One day you can be a farmer, the other you can be a smith, or a miner, or an hunter, or a traveler... or a sailor etc etc etc.

• Like 2

Terraforming, pvp, and close knit community are what stood out to me.

• Like 1

i like rising world, but there is no structure.. no "recipe system" like we have in wurm, i know it's a newer game, and you can basically build or make anything you want... but i prefer structure, and order.. and thats one thing i love about wurm...

I love SWGemu and I do wish Wurm had all the clothing options of SWG, but I have to agree that Wurm housing is the best.  AND there's no limit on stuff I can strew around my house/deed (other than the per tile limits). If I need more space, I just build another floor to my house. Also, I like all the little weird things in Wurm (like the sheep description) and the lack of much pre-set lore means I almost never get hijacked into conversations about "what it should be", which is a huge plus in my book. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 3:05 PM, FranktheTank said:

What enrico said, but add in old female black light models.

Honestly though, it is permanence. No other game has it, no other game I have ever played can you as a single individual mean so much, do so much, and change the world around you.

Other games are so static, based on a single server, match, or uninteresting world. They follow a story driven path, or are "reset every week".

I have weapons in Wurm that were made in 2011, that to me is staggering. 

Some of the most popular MMO's I have played like world of warcraft, provide nothing in context of freedom, it is so controlled and sterile. 

Eve Online is close to Wurm but it has some advanced boredom for me,  because at the end of the day when I played it, I was thriving being a market trader and that is literally a spreadsheet simulator.

Imagine it though, go outside your deed right now. Pack a tile, and place a road. That road tile is there, in the world. People can walk on it, dig it up, use it as a landmark, that tile is in existence. When you log off that tile is still there, when you quit that tile is still there (unless it decayed). Then take that idea, apply it to a Tower, a Colossus, a Kingdom.

Then you understand.

This is especially true, at least to me, now that I can zoom around the legacy that is scattered throughout Xanadu using insanity teleport and gather information about all the places that once have been. I haven't been using it a lot overall, but since the Archaeology journal came out I'm practically doing nothing else, it's just so fascinating digging through the past. And this would absolutely not be the same. infact pretty boring, if I were to play a game that revolved around that concept where "ruins" were generated by the game. Things like that do nothing for me in Minecraft for instance, it's good for the loot but that doesn't really mean a lot in terms of feeling part of a living world, in fact it takes me out of it a lot.

But in WO, I can not only dig up the information, but also find tools made by players that are sometimes still playing to this day. I just found a copper chain armor bearing the name of my alliance boss, which is a nice souvenir(Or would have been, had I thought of picking it up before teleporting again. -.-). Even after dusting 30dmg off it's better QL than my current armor, so not only can this also bear good loot, but it actually feels like literal loot and not some treasure that was generated exclusively for my gratification.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 3:26 PM, sleepys said:

1. Grinding.... its so slow that it makes ppl go insane...and am abit insane so love it. So many fast tempo games out there and played a lot of games.

Reminds me of the latest emails I've gotten regarding GW2. Buy the new DLC and get 1 or 2 "Free to Level 80" items. Also, they have in-game drops that can be used to give you experience & even full on levels.

I like that items must be cared for. You can't just get it & be done with it. You need to remember to repair it occasionally, re-imp it and have spells re-cast because it decreases in effectiveness through use. No other game really does this. Most are "Item X broke. Take it to get fixed for free / nominal fee" or just once you've gotten it, it's good forever. Wurm is unforgiving when it comes to that. Forget to repair your stuff long enough & poof... it's gone forever. I also like the risk involved in having spells cast on "stuff".

Edited by zethreal

You can go anywhere seamlessly without boundaries or borders.

You can dig down to water or climb the highest mountain. 

As far as the eye can see North South East West you can reach any part of it.

You can stretch out your hand in any direction and not feel the limit of it.

• Like 3

im only new 1yr plus . this lifestyle of zanadu suits me perfectly , everywere i go i have small conversations with people from all over who all seem to be doing what im here for enjoyment .i can understand why others come here to try get players to play other games because we have the right people .i love the thought that someone is out there carefully improving the game which brings me sanity and heaps of fun .i knew the first few days when i was helped from trouble this was going to be a awesome game hidden in the masses. ive met players who are very nice even thou i do not know them  .the decent words and help they give to a stranger in this day n age is very cool wurm .i have to say the humour that comes from a simple chat conversation makes my night. funny as some of you . we do need a clean up crew of some sort a lot of stuff in waters and land around the place dumped . 

• Like 3

Most of all is that it's a game I love that does not require 100% concentration unless I want it to. This allows me more play time while still looking after the kids...etc.

Beyond that, i love the community, the freedom for creativity, the calm atmosphere of the game, and strangely enough, the relatively slow grind. It always gives me something to work for.

• Like 1

Raiding peoples stuff and selling it for real money to buy a better account to raid more stuff to sell it for more money to buy a better account repeat

All within the rules of the game

Edit: and faster/more efficient than actually grinding the skills yourself

Edited by Alexgopen
  • Like 1

what does wurm do better?

the amount of bugs per square meter is way higher then any mmo keep it up ^_^

on a side note the living world the sky and its constellations the moons the rifts all these things that make the world actually feel alive and evolving vs the typical mmo  that just runs an event for a few weeks and then never again or just has a plain skybox

also what other game lets you climb a mountain and terraform it into your dream home

I'm not a gamer. I don't play games as I get bored within hours best.

[11:38:58] You have played 457 days, 0 hours and 57 minutes.

That is only one of my "mains".

Wurm is a bad addiction not a game. 

For me the main reasons I think - I'm writing this without thinking on it first: the terraforming, to set your mark in the world, the community and that I have no path set before me but can go different ways when I feel bored doing something.

EDIT: I love the challenges, the failures, the accomplishments.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2