Sign in to follow this  
Tedzogh

Game freeze for 10-15s when tabbing

Win10 made a "forse" update a while back and after that when i tab in to Wurm i get a freeze for about 10s, then it moves for a few frames and freeze again for 5 more seconds.

i havnt changed anything in my setup and can't fgure out why it does that, makes it a pain to grind on several toons as i like to do while playing.

greatful for any tips how to solve this.

check your task manager and remove the java applications Ctrl Alt Delete then just click them and "End task"

This happens sometimes if you leave characters on over night. The app is still opened but there is no game, and it eats memory.

Thanx for the tip, but the issue is constant even with a fresh cold boot.

Have reinstalled Jav, tested low memory client, no improvement.

Is it the same with the game in windowed mode?

• Like 1

Someone last week posted a similar issue, turned out to be a setting to prevent accidentally tabbing out of games. I don't know where the setting was.

I would certainly expect "fullscreen" to have more issues with alt tabbing than "windowed full screen", as there is some kind of difference in how windows renders the screen when alt tabbing at fullscreen.

This occurs in other games as well:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3448647/freeze-tabbing-game-stuttering-fps-problems-tabbing-back-game.html

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753656762

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/153782/pc-lags-after-alt-tab-from-eso

Windowed fullscreen (versus regular fullscreen) would probably help. I tend to play windows resizeable  in Wurm as I like to be constanting checking wikis, news etc.

I use windowed mode.

As i said it worked good untill the latest windows update. Something in that i gues.

Hmm, maybe one of these  will help?

How to Fix Slow Alt + Tab When Playing Games on Windows 10 April 2018 Update

>>Specifically, the bug causes desktop app switching (Alt + Tab) to be particularly slow when playing games on a system running the April 2018 Update. Pressing Alt + Tab allows gamers to switch to a different screen when running a game in full screen, and using the same hotkey allows them to return to the game easily. And while this whole process was supposed to take place blazing fast in order to have a minimum impact on gaming, this isn’t the case on many systems already upgraded to the Windows 10 April 2018 Update. The one to blame for this is Focus Assist, a new feature that Microsoft added in this Windows 10 Update and based on Quiet Hours, previously introduced with the Fall Creators Update.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

One thing I found was if the refresh rate is set differently in game from desktop (59 vs 60 usually), then it can cause issues. The 2d and 3d systems are fighting each other.

Thanks mate that one looks like it migt be conidering it came with the update, will try it later when im by that pc again.

Let us know what you find out, in case it helps others (or at least rules out this as a solution)