Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

Can't get full 24K 100QL logs

I've recently acquired the ability to create 100QL felled trees, but I've noticed that I never get full-weight 100QL logs, only remainders.

That is, when a felled tree is under 48K, a chop action results in two logs, one 24K, and one a partial. The partials often show up as 100QL, but I never get full 24K 100QL logs from a chopping action, which seems odd.

Is this works as designed?

(It's possible it works this way for all felled trees; the 100QL logs just stand out. Either way, it still seems odd.)

it has been like that since forever,i imagine it works as intended

woodcutting allways had more rng than most

1 hour ago, Jonydowy said:

it has been like that since forever,i imagine it works as intended 

Wogic or a forever bug. Well, this -is- Wurm. :P

Put the remnants in a crate, problem solved.

• Like 1

What is your woodcutting skill? What hatchet are you using (Rune, imbue, rarity, QL)?

Effective 90+ skill (this is on Epic), plus a runed 90+ QL hatchet (no rarity or imbue). I have another toon with 70+ effective skill, and I see the same behavior there. He gets plenty of 90+ QL 24K logs from 100 QL felled trees (even 99+), but the 100 QL logs he gets are always the remainders (and he gets quite a few of those, so the difference in skill doesn't seem to matter for chopping, only felling).

Doesn't feel like RNG, but rather a hardcoded barrier of some kind.

Also, I'd gotten the impression the rune/imbue didn't apply to chopping logs, only to felling trees. Is that right?

I don't see anything buggy about this behavior.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Felled_tree

Of the felled tree sizes, only what the wiki refers to as "Old (1), sprouting" evenly divides by 24 and leaves you with 24kg remainder logs.

In a hypothetical scenario where a person (insane idiot) needed a lot of QL100 logs, and only QL100 logs, they would want to plant a tree farm and meticulously check it every day to fell their trees with a runed and imbued axe as soon as any hit old+sprouting.  Since there are two old+sprouting stages, just selecting for those in a "wild" forest would not always give 24kg logs.  Their second-best option would be to only cut down overaged trees, which end with an 18.67kg logs.

2 hours ago, Noizhead said:

I don't see anything buggy about this behavior.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Felled_tree

Of the felled tree sizes, only what the wiki refers to as "Old (1), sprouting" evenly divides by 24 and leaves you with 24kg remainder logs.

In a hypothetical scenario where a person (insane idiot) needed a lot of QL100 logs, and only QL100 logs, they would want to plant a tree farm and meticulously check it every day to fell their trees with a runed and imbued axe as soon as any hit old+sprouting.  Since there are two old+sprouting stages, just selecting for those in a "wild" forest would not always give 24kg logs.  Their second-best option would be to only cut down overaged trees, which end with an 18.67kg logs.

I don't need to optimize for 24K remainder logs to get 100QL 24K logs; as pointed out, I can combine in crates.

Rather, why the heck does the game -only- give 100QL for the leftover ends? If the developers really sat down, and said, "yes, that's exactly the behaviour we want," I'd love to know why, just to satisfy my curiosity. :P

On 6/2/2018 at 12:20 PM, Roccandil said:

Rather, why the heck does the game -only- give 100QL for the leftover ends? If the developers really sat down, and said, "yes, that's exactly the behaviour we want," I'd love to know why, just to satisfy my curiosity. :P

Back 15 years ago or whenever the game was being made, they didn't think "oh, i wonder how it'll interact with someone that's 90+ woodcutting, and has a rare runed imbued hatchet", but that's probably to do with the fact that rare, runed and imbued did not exist back then and the thought of someone getting 100 woodcutting for 100ql trees probably seemed asinine.

For chopping 100ql logs, it's possible, extremely rare due to how the game handles it. You'd have to hit exactly 100ql on the log and not go over, otherwise it'd reroll. Moving the rune/rare/imbue bonus to chopping up instead of felling trees would let you cut 100ql logs and would boost the average ql of logs by a lot when at high skill with said tools (i get like average 65-70ql logs if i dump them all into a crate, depsite  all of my trees being 100ql)

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1