Sign in to follow this  
MrCak

Most consistently in demand merchant activities?

Hello everyone,

I love Wurm and I love the economic perspective however as a people we are very self sufficient which can make it difficult to persue that venture.

In the communities experience (In hiring/being hired or selling/buying) what do you think the most in demand skill or activity is in wurm?

Just to clarify I know most of the money making activities I was moe interested in the communities consensus on the matter.

Thank you so much

Edited by MrCak

I've noticed that even though there are some well-known high level blacksmiths and weaponsmiths on Freedom, very few 95+ ever advertise in-game.  When a friend of mine does, he gets work instantly.   And the few I talk to on a regular basis always seem to have a backlog of work to do.  So that's my answer.

Edited to clarify Freedom.

Edited by Finndar
  • Like 1

Compared to the past, the market these days is incredibly slow. Most likely because everyone who needs stuff has the capabilities to do it themselves most of the time now. 

I can speak for the rares market and unless you underprice your items, you barely sell anything these days. With the current Chaos situation, hota statues are also losing their value quickly. 

Bulk materials are starting to sell lower and lower because everyone tries to sell them. 

Ships and other carpentry items are out of demand due to players having high skill.

I believe that what sells best is PMK stuff from Chaos and loot from uniques.

Apart from that, I would have to agree with @Finndar- the really high imps are rare and hard to come by, but they are also costly.

The conclusion is that basically, these days you need to pick something that you can grind higher than 90% of the player population and then make a living out of that like for example Folke with his tools or Timothymarker with his leather shop.

• Like 2

Does anyone have any personal merchants? Are the local markets perforning as badly as our global market?

8 hours ago, Yldrania said:

The conclusion is that basically, these days you need to pick something that you can grind higher than 90% of the player population and then make a living out of that like for example Folke with his tools or Timothymarker with his leather shop.

I disagree with you here, Yldrania. I see continuous business with lower-ql leather gear as well. Ql50-80 saddles for example, ql80 studded sets, ql50-80 toolbelts, not to talk about items like bridles, saddle bags, etc. where ql doesn't even matter. Of course the high-end gear pays better (esp. in leather because the material leather is difficult to produce in high amounts and high ql) but it's still worthwhile to serve the lower and middle ql market as well. 

Toolbelts: I usually have 25 toolbelts in stock, 4 each of ql50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 in my warehouse, 1 of each ql in my merchant at Vrock Landing. Same with plain and studded leather sets, always 7 studded and 7 plain leather sets in stock (ql 50, 60, 70, 80, 80, 90, 90), always 22 blank saddles in stock (4 each ql50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 2 ql93). And I see business with these middle ql items as well. In many cases it doesn't even matter whether an item is 10 coppers cheaper or not, it matters that a player knows he/she can PM me and I very likely have ready in stock what they want.

I also - with full intent - did not lower my prices since I opened my shop 2 or 3 years ago. it's intended to leave room for newer crafters to undercut me. (If you're a newer crafter reading this: feel free to undercut me, I don't mind, I won't hold it against you!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrCak said:

Does anyone have any personal merchants? Are the local markets perforning as badly as our global market?

I own 7 of them on different servers. The only time they sell is when I post on the forums with an amazing inventory (for example full of rare weapons etc) and location. Nobody checks out markets anymore, and most stalls are empty. Merchants have turned into personal storage in my honest opinion.

1 hour ago, Eobersig said:

I disagree with you here, Yldrania. I see continuous business with lower-ql leather gear as well. Ql50-80 saddles for example, ql80 studded sets, ql50-80 toolbelts, not to talk about items like bridles, saddle bags, etc. where ql doesn't even matter. Of course the high-end gear pays better (esp. in leather because the material leather is difficult to produce in high amounts and high ql) but it's still worthwhile to serve the lower and middle ql market as well. 

Toolbelts: I usually have 25 toolbelts in stock, 4 each of ql50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 in my warehouse, 1 of each ql in my merchant at Vrock Landing. Same with plain and studded leather sets, always 7 studded and 7 plain leather sets in stock (ql 50, 60, 70, 80, 80, 90, 90), always 22 blank saddles in stock (4 each ql50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 2 ql93). And I see business with these middle ql items as well. In many cases it doesn't even matter whether an item is 10 coppers cheaper or not, it matters that a player knows he/she can PM me and I very likely have ready in stock what they want.

I also - with full intent - did not lower my prices since I opened my shop 2 or 3 years ago. it's intended to leave room for newer crafters to undercut me. (If you're a newer crafter reading this: feel free to undercut me, I don't mind, I won't hold it against you!)

Leatherworking is one of the things that sell well, because people simply don't do much of it. Try the same thing with carpentry or smithing items and you will find that you can start charging for quality no lower than 70 on blank tools.

Of course, this is only my experience. I know some people are doing better than others, but I also know that I can now buy almost everything 10 times cheaper than 2 years ago. Some prices remain the same, though, and @Eobersigif you are managing to do great in this economy, I am very happy for you and bow to you for your effort and sales abilities ❤️ 

Let me just say this. 

If you are looking at getting smithing skills, avoid blacksmithing as a producer of wealth.

Everyone and their mom has it, but less people have weapon smithing (hard to grind) or shield smithing comparatively.

Avoid armor, on freedom cluster it won't help you down the road.

A high quality weapon, that has rarity and enchants will sell for a lot to the right bidders.

Edited by FranktheTank
  • Like 1

It seems like people who offer unusual or niche-y services seem to do okay. I remember someone back in the day offering prospecting and mine planning, which was a cool idea. I'm sure there's tons of other ideas that Wurm could use. I don't know that any of it's steady money, but it could be more fun than bricks. 

• Like 1

salesmanship (womanship) is the key.. through my dealing with Eborsig i have come to know him as not only a great leather crafter but a true salesman.. so whenever anybody asks for leather high or low ql i point them in his direction i should be getting a stipend fir all the sales i have passed on.. but that wins over in the end.. there are always more crafters but the good ones shine....and then those new customers tell their friends and so on..

• Like 1

Do what you enjoy.

Initially this does not seem like a business decision, but it proves its worth in the end.

If you enjoy using a skill, you won't mind so much improving on it.

There's a lot more fun in grinding a skill you enjoy than one you don't, and if you love it there's a good chance you will get good at it, and word will get around to customers.

People warm to someone who clearly loves what they do, and word of mouth is very important in Wurm.

Think about the type of things you love about Wurm - the beautiful outdoors or the fascination of the mines, the solitude of the workshop or the companionship of the animals - where do you want to spend your time?

Try a little of everything and then your path will become clearer.  There's no rush.

Best of luck! :) 

Edited by Muse
  • Like 1

The game is designed so that most players can become almost completely self-sufficient as they continue to play the game over the years. This I would say is a good thing since it offers this as an *option*, which many players then pursue. The only real outside help I need now is weapon improvement, which fortunately there is a good person with reasonable prices on my server that I rely upon to do this. Once and a while maybe a priest to collapse a mine tile opening.

If instead you want to spend some or most of your game time working for others (the horror!) the usual production type actions (mine, bricks, mortar, concrete, planks, support beams and so on) are probably the best choices. For higher skills yeah, as Finndar mentioned, black smithing and weapon smithing are good choices. Probably even chain smithing and armor smithing are good because players will need some type of better armor eventually. Of course high mining fits right in to compliment these with the necessary high QL ores.

43 minutes ago, Muse said:

Do what you enjoy.

Best advice really.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Stuff like saddles and horseshoes will always require imping since they are often used and damage is consistent. Same goes for enchants on commonly used tools like shovels and pickaxes. Weapon imps are also commonplace.

But to truly thrive in an econony you need to produce things people dont like to make. Bulk items is the major example. But you need to be ahead of the curve and have actual stock. 

Most people who purchase bulk are not willing to wait days for their orders to be filled. Personally, and I can speak for many of my crew, I would pay 2.5s/k to someone with 10k mortar ready to go, than pay 2s/k and have to wait 3 days for it to be delivered, as an example. 

I have seen many bulk sellers recently complain that they cant sell stuff anymore nowdays, but when you contact them they have no stock. Its like going to the supermarket to find it empty and the attendant telling you to list what you need, that he can get it for you. Customers will move on and go to the person with the goods available.

People want their stuff, and they want it now. If you have a product on hand when its needed, and you are willing to deliver it, you will get more sales than others.

• Like 1

Delivery services, although somewhat reduced due to wagoners, are still in demand.  If you can build up a decent reputation, and sail a regularish route around the servers, you'll probably always be able to pick up a job.

Be warned, though, it's boring as hell.  Which is why most folks (me included) would rather pay someone else to do it (or demand the seller provide it).