Sign in to follow this  
Bix

Rare forge only burns as long as normal forges

As per title, I lit a rare and normal forge at 21:44 and these are the messages i get around the 8.5hr-9hr mark:

[06:15:06] A forge made from stone bricks and clay, intended for smelting and smithing. This is a very rare and interesting version of the item. It is searing hot. The forge has some irregularities that must be removed with a stone chisel. Ql: 99.4758, Dam: 0.0. The forge has been firmly secured to the ground by Bix. You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Bix'. A layer of ashes is starting to form on the glowing coals.
[06:15:06] A single iron rune of Fo has been attached to it, so it will reduce fuel usage rate (10%)
[06:15:07] A forge made from stone bricks and clay, intended for smelting and smithing. It is searing hot. The forge has some irregularities that must be removed with a stone chisel. Ql: 99.226715, Dam: 0.0. The forge has been firmly secured to the ground by Bix. You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Bix'. A layer of ashes is starting to form on the glowing coals.
[06:15:07] A single iron rune of Fo has been attached to it, so it will reduce fuel usage rate (10%)

[06:23:01] A forge made from stone bricks and clay, intended for smelting and smithing. This is a very rare and interesting version of the item. It is hot. The forge has some irregularities that must be removed with a stone chisel. Ql: 99.4758, Dam: 0.0. The forge has been firmly secured to the ground by Bix. You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Bix'. A few red glowing coals can be found under a bed of ashes.
[06:23:01] A single iron rune of Fo has been attached to it, so it will reduce fuel usage rate (10%)
[06:23:02] A forge made from stone bricks and clay, intended for smelting and smithing. It is hot. The forge has some irregularities that must be removed with a stone chisel. Ql: 99.226715, Dam: 0.0. The forge has been firmly secured to the ground by Bix. You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Bix'. A few red glowing coals can be found under a bed of ashes.
[06:23:02] A single iron rune of Fo has been attached to it, so it will reduce fuel usage rate (10%)

[06:41:43] A forge made from stone bricks and clay, intended for smelting and smithing. This is a very rare and interesting version of the item. It is very warm. The forge has some irregularities that must be removed with a stone chisel. Ql: 99.4758, Dam: 0.0. The forge has been firmly secured to the ground by Bix. You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Bix'. The fire is not lit.
[06:41:43] A single iron rune of Fo has been attached to it, so it will reduce fuel usage rate (10%)
[06:41:44] A forge made from stone bricks and clay, intended for smelting and smithing. It is very warm. The forge has some irregularities that must be removed with a stone chisel. Ql: 99.226715, Dam: 0.0. The forge has been firmly secured to the ground by Bix. You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Bix'. The fire is not lit.
[06:41:44] A single iron rune of Fo has been attached to it, so it will reduce fuel usage rate (10%)

• Like 1

Tested this with two 75ql forges. One rare, one normal.

Getting the same results. They burn for exactly the same amount of time.

Still noticing this with my rare forges on Pristine.

Suggests that the burn time is supposed to be longer for rarity levels. It would be cool if this could get looked at.

Edited by fencejumper
added reference link

I'm also not convinced that the IronFo rune currently works. I have no proof

Edited by Borstaskor

The rune works, but it's hard to explain why, so here goes trying.

Things that are not a light source do not use fuel. Instead, you're setting a temperature of the item to a value. Let's say 10,000. Each second the game ticks the temperature of the furnace, reducing it by a certain amount. There's a modifier that is applied to the number that is subtracted from temperature every second. The problem is that temperature is a whole number value, and this modifier is a floating point value. Once it's applied, the precision is removed and thus some of the bonus is removed. The net value here is that a forge indoors ticks down at the same rate as any rarity of forge, because it bottoms out at 1 point of temperature per second. Outdoors, a rare forge and a common forge will tick down differently with the common ticking down 2 temperature every second and the rare+ forge a 1.

The rune works in a way because instead of trying to add another 10% modifier to this equation that's already bottomed out, it has a 10% chance to not tick down at all. I remember us having a hard time trying to communicate this in-game with the rune, because "reduce fuel usage rate by 10%" isn't the same as "have a 10% chance to not consume fuel", with the latter not true either given that forges don't technically use fuel to sustain heat.

This basically means that rarity is "working as intended", only that the intent is much less of a bonus than what we would like. That said, I'll take a few moments to see if we can't get the bonus to be something more meaningful - like additional chances to not tick down temperature. That's about all we can really do with this unless we rewrite how they work, which is out of scope at this time.

Edit: My tests were done with a 99QL forge, both common and rare. Inside and outside. :)

• Like 6
  • Cat 1

Aha, there's actually a Math.max(1, ...) function going on here, which means the rune suffers from the same bottoming out as everything else.

I'm working on some changes to this for our update on the 28th.

• Like 4

Thank you - but really - for picking up logic issues like this. These are so awful to find/fix

• Like 1