Sign in to follow this  
Meldichoir

Introducing myself (after 3 years) | [my story]

I have had this urge in me for a few years now. I need to introduce myself.
Let me tell you all a bit about me:

I began my time in Wurm three years ago, and within just a few months I had become the mayor of Glasshollow Market.
I had only just discovered the game, but the honor and duty I felt gave me a such a significant feeling of purpose that I have never felt before.

I have to explain how seriously I take this world we call Wurm. I have dedicated significant amounts of my life to gaming; at nearly 30 years old I have been playing PC games since MS-DOS. I tend to gravitate to a particular title and play it almost exclusively for years. When I discovered Wurm I dropped the game I had been playing for 2 years (Planetside2) and never touched it again (I am an old fan of PS1, since my days in EverQuest so long ago). My wife also shares and supports such an indulgence in gaming and has always decorated our entire house with video game art/paraphernalia. Wurm is that game that I had always imagined but never believed would exist.

The circumstances by which I inherited this mantle were like fate: right place / right time
I selected Glasshollow from the list of towns at the tutorial portal. I met Rockybalboa there and joined his village. I was more than eager to help him on his highway project, and that short trip away from home gave me one of the most enormous feelings of adventure that I have ever felt.

When I learned of the pending auction of Glasshollow Market, due to unexpected circumstances, I knew that I had to be the one to take responsibility for it. I was not about to let this incredible work go to some chop-shopper. I had to maintain what inspired me so that the next person like myself, just discovering this incredible game, would be able to see and feel what I had.

I have to describe again the feelings of awe I had for this game: it was absolutely surreal. I could barely believe that I had never heard of Wurm before; such an incredible concept, actually functional... I knew my drive for this game would be like no other. I knew that I had the capability (and resources) to support something wonderful.

The activity of commerce/merchandising has never been my specific interest, but I was amazed with the apparent popularity of our Market, and so I have been honored to sponsor (and continue to improve) our historic trading corner here on Xanadu.

What interested me the most was creating a space for community, for people who had just discovered this amazing game like myself. I acquired so many wonderful things so early, being only a new player myself (although very well-informed (thanks to Wurmpedia)). "Easy come, easy go" may apply here; I have only ever felt generous with my wealth of resources.

I just want to share this great game with others, the same way that it was shared with me by Rocky when I was just a new player. Ever since I "became" Rockybalboa I have viewed myself as a sort of 'Santa Claus' figure. I am in a costume and it is not entirely me. When I am in that skin I have the utmost admiration for that character, the way I view him. He appears to me as a superman. He has created something remarkable.

My sense of duty has led me into some considerable conflict. I have always been a reader of these forums, and one of the first concepts that intrigued me was the 'name and shame' of people who have supposedly caused grievances. Because of my desire to keep my efforts untarnished with misbehavior I chose to be so straightforward with a particular person when telling them that I was not yet comfortable working on a project with them. I stated to him that multiple independent people had divulged certain info to me by their own will (without my inquiry).

That initial stance on my part, to resist toxic behavior in my area, led to a long series of unpleasant interactions that have been the cause of GM visitation on numerous occasions. If I had known how stubborn and vengeful he was then I would have just kept my reasoning to myself; I would not have told him of my disapproval.

These past incidents with my neighbor have caused regretful episodes of drama. I feel that it has caused a misdirected opinion of our intentions and our mission here.

I have always been very shy in life. I just wanted to come out and finally say some things that have been long overdue. Had I been more straightforward with all of you from the beginning then I believe I could have avoided much of the shame and personal grief.

Just as Wurm has provided some of the most astonishing experiences and inspirations in my life, so has it also caused me some of the deepest torment that I have ever known. Even still, I cannot help but conclude that this is simply the greatest game that I have ever known.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Meldichoir said:

I have had this urge in me for a few years now. I need to introduce myself.

I am glad to read here that you have taken this step, even if it took you a few years to provide some insight into your viewpoint on this game, as well as the acquisition of Glasshollow Market and the character of Rockybalboa.

As I had known Rocky(balboa) from shortly after the start of Xanadu and appreciated all his efforts to create a beautiful harmonious area within this vicinity with well planned highways branching out, it was a bit difficult for me to appreciate anyone who would in my opinion attempt to step into his shoes through this named character. You obviously are not him but I can through reading your introduction appreciate your dedication to carry on this fine marketplace and the maintenance of the surrounding area. It certainly is an impressive accomplishment initially by him and I am quite pleased to understand now your objective to perpetuate this legacy.

An excellent post! Thank you for taking the time to make your objectives and opinions known for all to read. I am now feeling very confident that Glasshollow Marketplace and the character of Rockybalboa are in good hands, with well intended continuing plans for the future. After all, we players are the creators of the content of these blank spaces provided and Rocky has done a fine work on his little corner of these worlds. May your own efforts continue to inspire others with the possibilities yet unveiled.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2

happy to have you here meldichoir! :D  for many more years!  cheers

Thank you for being so straight foward  it does tend to makes things uncomplicated .  I am not sure what happened to all the great things of markets but now days a lot of them have dried up.  I just had a friend do some research for me at all starter and major markets.  A lot of things are not near the pricing they are now and some things have tons of damage on them.. The new WURM with its smaller player base is a lot leaner and meaner with its money and 10x more frugal.  Might be time for a serious rethink on just market based sales.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 8:52 AM, Meldichoir said:

When I discovered Wurm I dropped the game I had been playing for 2 years (Planetside2) and never touched it again (I am an old fan of PS1, since my days in EverQuest so long ago).

Wow, had no idea. I also left PS2 to play Wurm. I was "General" Champagnedragon with the Blue Lions. I also migrated over to PS2 from PS1.  Led a lot of large NC alliance nights. 

Here I just relax, chill, have fun. 

I was on PS2 with the VS when it was pretty new, but Crown fights were just dreadful and PS2 never had any lasting impact from player actions like Wurm does.  Thanks for the introduction!

22 hours ago, Tathar said:

I was on PS2 with the VS when it was pretty new, but Crown fights were just dreadful and PS2 never had any lasting impact from player actions like Wurm does.  Thanks for the introduction!

Stinkin purple aliens...?

On 5/29/2018 at 9:12 AM, ChampagneDragon said:

NC

On 5/31/2018 at 3:15 PM, Tathar said:

VS

Well I have always been a TR loyalist myself, since PS1, so it looks like we've got a full house here!

Planetside's red/purple/blue faction colors are notably the same as Wurm's MR/HotS/JK color schemes. I've always found Wurm PvP to be very appealing, although I have never participated in it as of yet.